SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

haha vendetta. i just happen to think that jerry brings an element to the team that tommy (or the other 3) doesn't have. bigger,stronger, faster...ball comes out quicker..tighter spiral..more accurate deep ball.

But that’s all in your head. It’s not consistently true  They all have demonstrated superiority in all those things on occasion.  You can’t base how anyone will play against a D1 defense — non scholly or otherwise — on a  HUDL tape where your facing a defense of state All Stars or Insta highlights from fall camp that are  hand selected to be used for highlight reels. The sample size is just too small. He’s going to be good some day.  But his time is not now. In the immortal words of UND-FB-Fan, if his time was now. … I would  be concerned. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Great comeback. (The answer one expects from the typical wannabe).

C'mon, man! It was just yesterday that he displayed his deep knowledge of the game when he explained that the halftime score doesn't determine the winner! Now you're going to call him a wannabe? Unreal.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

So a true freshman has more ability this year and would give the team a better chance this year, than a guy who is on the preseason Walter Payton Award list.. Preseason All-MVFC.. and will likely own every UND QB related record.  oh.. and jumps Feeney. Need to think that one through again.

so to answer your question.....yes.

22 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Nope it's not. He has some deep personal issues with Tommy. It's weird.

this reminds me of some DM's i got in 2018 saying Waletzko was the best o-lineman on campus week 1 and boy did i get some aplin and rooney and russo boys DM'ing me about Aplin and Rooney being "studs" and "grade out 1 and 2".....it went on and on.

iirc matt got a start bc tobin got hurt so they shuffled some guys around against sac st or someone and he (matt) pretty much played the rest of the year....

i guessed we would win 5 games with that o-line that year (close we got 6)...but here's a big WHAT IF....

what if matt starts against idaho state...does he make enough plays instead of "stud" aplin and what if tyron vrede would've gotten more playing time instead of tanner palmborg do we win 7 games and make the playoffs.....

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

Couple thoughts:

Overall I like where we are at.  My hope in a couple of these positions is that we are so deep that guys will rotate in that aren't listed depending on game situations (D-Line would certainly be my focus here).  I'm a still concerned about our OLBs/Safeties.  Like a few on this board...I've seen Kauppinen get toasted enough times to not have a high trust level in his play in passing downs.  We need to be better at OLB as well...hopefully coaching gets this done (and I'm not sure if "simplifying" is enough).

As to a couple of points made here today:

1 - I'm a firm believer in the best player plays philosophy.  If I was a player I wouldn't be too happy if I was sitting in order to "spring a surprise" on Boise or SDSU...college football careers are too short.  You can always play the other guys after you get a lead or rotate them in...(Oh and I highly doubt Kaminski at this point is better than Tommy so that poster you can give it a rest...haha!).

2 - I know everyone is sick of the criticisms of how the program is run...but they continue to be forced down our throats for a reason, namely that many on here don't think we've done enough to address them.  I'm going to give the program the benefit of the doubt...but if we're staring down 6-5/7-4 by October...it's only going to get louder!  And those staunchly unconditional defenders of the status quo will continue to have more and more space to roam in an increasingly empty Alerus Center...

I understand you have an agenda, but think I just read a story in the GF Herald that tickets sales have gone up consistently since UND returned to the MVFC.

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

Couple thoughts:

Overall I like where we are at.  My hope in a couple of these positions is that we are so deep that guys will rotate in that aren't listed depending on game situations (D-Line would certainly be my focus here).  I'm a still concerned about our OLBs/Safeties.  Like a few on this board...I've seen Kauppinen get toasted enough times to not have a high trust level in his play in passing downs.  We need to be better at OLB as well...hopefully coaching gets this done (and I'm not sure if "simplifying" is enough).

As to a couple of points made here today:

1 - I'm a firm believer in the best player plays philosophy.  If I was a player I wouldn't be too happy if I was sitting in order to "spring a surprise" on Boise or SDSU...college football careers are too short.  You can always play the other guys after you get a lead or rotate them in...(Oh and I highly doubt Kaminski at this point is better than Tommy so that poster you can give it a rest...haha!).

2 - I know everyone is sick of the criticisms of how the program is run...but they continue to be forced down our throats for a reason, namely that many on here don't think we've done enough to address them.  I'm going to give the program the benefit of the doubt...but if we're staring down 6-5/7-4 by October...it's only going to get louder!  And those staunchly unconditional defenders of the status quo will continue to have more and more space to roam in an increasingly empty Alerus Center...

oh..but he is.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh yes, @UNDfootball would tweet(?) out the bad reads and the bad throws ... :silly:

Folks, someone is playing the long game: Get on the JK bandwagon now and claim you've been so smart all along later. 

they showed a few bad ones of fenney

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they showed a few bad ones of fenney

Which I wouldn't be surprised if a year or two ago you were calling for, or wondering if he should start. I know last year a couple of games into the season you had some thoughts that maybe Romfo should start because he could run better. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh yes, @UNDfootball would tweet(?) out the bad reads and the bad throws ... :silly:

Folks, someone is playing the long game: Get on the JK bandwagon now and claim you've been so smart all along later. 

So true.  The QB that's the best choice to start isn't always the same QB that has the most potential. 

14 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Which I wouldn't be surprised if a year or two ago you were calling for, or wondering if he should start. I know last year a couple of games into the season you had some thoughts that maybe Romfo should start because he could run better. 

feeney yes....thought he would have been a little more ready to take on tommy considering who his dad is...romfo...nope.

14 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

UND-FB-FAN.......the thing is most of us doing mind constructive criticism because it has taken much longer to get where we are an still quite a ways to go. I'm ok with some things being questioned and what not. But the volume of negative stuff over and over gets so old, it's multiple times on the daily. You position yourself perfectly to be the I told you so guy if we lose or something goes wrong. And your comment the other days about...."how about we try and win them all". I mean really, you don't think the rest of us want to try and win them all, c'mon. I would probably say more negative stuff from time to time, but I don't have too because you've probably already said it ten times that day. 

I mean the season is about to start and it's a great time of the year, but the board is a sh*t show right now....it's barely even enjoyable. 

If UND starts actually winning the games, then this board will be a hoot. I’m all for it if that happens. 

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

your missing the point....jerry is ready...unlike trey.

He might be ready from the skill and performance side but there is no way he knows the playbook well enough to be the starter. You are takes are still really cringy …… something’s never change!