SiouxSports.com Forum

RIP Lynn Stauss - Thanks for saving EGF!

gfNDfan

Sad news that former EGF Mayor Lynn Stauss passed over the weekend.   He led EGF after the flood to the Cool restaurant row on the Boardwalk/Mn State Park in a former neighborhood/Major Retailer CABELAS downtown and a lot of other positive adds to EGF after the flood.  Not to mention all he did with Joan Kroc to help a LOT of people (including me) after the flood. 

Thanks for all your hard work Lynn!  EGF shines today and we thank you for it.  Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Lynn Stauss and Pat Owens are two major reasons that GGF community is still there and thriving. 

Is the city commission room in each city named for them? I'm not normally big on that kind of thing but in this case, if not, it should be. 

Bull - American taxpayer

• Downvote 3

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Screw you Simple Dan. If Imperial Cass had gone under in 2009, they would have wanted the same level of assistance. And they would have gotten it. And I would have supported it 100%. You sound like that POS John Dorso who did everything he could to screw Grand Forks in 1999. Take your self-righteous piety elsewhere. :angry:

Wow you are confused - didn't say anything about assistance, just the taxpayer provided the funding.  

Just now, Bison Dan said:

My point was it was Clinton and the ND delegation (taxpayers) that deserve the most credit, not the mayors.

Okay, thanks for explaining. The way Dorso and others tried to screw Grand Forks still triggers me to this day. I apologize for misunderstanding your point. Comment has been deleted.

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

My point was it was Clinton and the ND delegation (taxpayers) that deserve the most credit, not the mayors.

Well, the National Weather Service and there thawed modelling didn't have anything to do with the problem at all...  And they are responsible for the National Weather Service's work. 

It was difficult for the cities to prepare for such an enormous flood. The National Weather Service (NWS) had forecast that the river would crest at 49 feet (14.9 m),[4] which was its highest level during the 1979 flood.[5] The cities had built dikes to this level, but the river continued to rise past it. Taken by surprise, the NWS did not upgrade its forecast until April 16, the day the river reached 49 feet.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Well, the National Weather Service and there thawed modelling didn't have anything to do with the problem at all...  And they are responsible for the National Weather Service's work. 

It was difficult for the cities to prepare for such an enormous flood. The National Weather Service (NWS) had forecast that the river would crest at 49 feet (14.9 m),[4] which was its highest level during the 1979 flood.[5] The cities had built dikes to this level, but the river continued to rise past it. Taken by surprise, the NWS did not upgrade its forecast until April 16, the day the river reached 49 feet.

The forecast models have gotten better since then.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

The forecast models have gotten better since then.

I can appreciate that, but it does not change the facts that took place leading up to and during the flood - the role that NWS forecasting played in flood prevention efforts.  I do believe that the NWS has gotten a free pass - unfortunately.  As point of view, the houses that I was sand bagging wall at was never breached, but the house was flooded because of failures in other places.  One of many reminders during my lifetime about how government doesn't always work - but they sure do love to tell you how they do.

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

I can appreciate that, but it does not change the facts that took place leading up to and during the flood - the role that NWS forecasting played in flood prevention efforts.  I do believe that the NWS has gotten a free pass - unfortunately.  As point of view, the houses that I was sand bagging wall at was never breached, but the house was flooded because of failures in other places.  One of many reminders during my lifetime about how government doesn't always work - but they sure do love to tell you how they do.

There simply was too much water to hold back.

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2022 at 4:35 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

There simply was too much water to hold back.

Thanks FS4L - for you others blame who you want to blame or troll - so great to such BRAVE internet warriors with perfect 20/20 hindsight!  :p

For people who were here and lived through that horrible mess - Lynn (and Pat) were just regular people who stepped up and delivered for us.   Perfect? - no but that was totally uncharted territory.   I remember him wearing his USA sweatshirt all the time and tolerating every member of the "non local" media calling him "Mayor STRAUSS"

He also fostered the relationship with Joan Kroc that helped out a TON of local residents with modest but at the time very timely $2000 grants.  We were very grateful.  We were renting at the time and lost some stuff but compared to others we were lucky but that money was HUGE in helping us find a new rental place to move into and replace some lost things.  

Thanks again Lynn!  You did the right things at the right time and we'll remember you for it.  Rest in Peace.

• Upvote 1