SiouxSports.com Forum

The Front Office of UND Athletics

The Sicatoka

• 2 months later...

Martinson came out the best, as he should've.
Here's hoping Kyle D mentored Ralston for that position. 
ASJ is the new Hajdu I guess, and I think he's more savvy. (You'd all recognize ASJ's great-uncle's name.) 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I find this to be a most curious hire. She's been in athletics leadership for 35 years. "Jethro Bodine" math says she's at least age 55, probably closer to 60. That sounds more like "moving to Boca to retire" than "moving to GF to be SAAD/SWA". Unless this is a hire for her connections (she's been a few places). 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/6/1/general-und-athletics-announces-hiring-of-liz-jarnigan.aspx 

EDIT: Doing some looking at the website staff listing, Chaves didn't have someone ready in the bullpen to step up to be the SWA. That's a strategic error on his part. 

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I find this to be a most curious hire. She's been in athletics leadership for 35 years. "Jethro Bodine" math says she's at least age 55, probably closer to 60. That sounds more like "moving to Boca to retire" than "moving to GF to be SAAD/SWA". Unless this is a hire for her connections (she's been a few places). 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/6/1/general-und-athletics-announces-hiring-of-liz-jarnigan.aspx 

EDIT: Doing some looking at the website staff listing, Chaves didn't have someone ready in the bullpen to step up to be the SWA. That's a strategic error on his part. 

https://dailyegyptian.com/109422/uncategorized/athletic-director-liz-jarnigan-fired-amid-alleged-abuse-cover-up-on-womens/

Wait a minute ...

- hired as SIU AD in 2019
- fired by SIU in Sep 2021
- SWA at Valpo in Dec 2021
- promoted at Valpo in Aug 2022
- hired by UND in June 2023

Sep 2021 to Jun 2023 is quite a run. 

And for fun, compare the Valpo directory page to UND's release.
https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/staff/12541/liz-jarnigan/ 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not sure I get your point.  Seems like a good hire.

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Not sure I get your point.  Seems like a good hire.

Like I said, why Grand Forks and not Boca or Mesa* (and thinking retirement)? Just seems odd. 

We clearly needed an SWA and she does have connections, so there's that. 

*It's not like her husband is AGM/AC of the Arizona Rattlers. 

The more I look at this it does make sense in one way:
UND had no SWA and no bench.
You can't run with that position open too long (NCAA takes notice). 
They need a solution, a stop-gap. 

Chaves and Uncle Andy start looking through phone contacts. 

Andy: Well there's Liz. She was SWA/AAD at USAFA when I was Faculty Dean there ... wonder what she's doing ... 

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The more I look at this it does make sense in one way:
UND had no SWA and no bench.
You can't run with that position open too long (NCAA takes notice). 
They need a solution, a stop-gap. 

Chaves and Uncle Andy start looking through phone contacts. 

Andy: Well there's Liz. She was SWA/AAD at USAFA when I was Faculty Dean there ... wonder what she's doing ... 

UND had one.  The person left, and they filled the position.

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

UND had one.  The person left, and they filled the position.

As they needed to. 

I was raised in the mindset of part of your job is to "train your replacement" so you can advance. We had no replacement on the bench. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

As they needed to. 

I was raised in the mindset of part of your job is to "train your replacement" so you can advance. We had no replacement on the bench. 

I don't really see the problem.  UND has made tons of internal promotions and they retain talent pretty well in an industry that has tons of turnover.  Not to mention this hire is probably better than who they are replacing.

• 2 weeks later...