SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Olympics

brianvf

After the USA women lost the first thought in my mind is too many players from everywhere else and not enough players from up north (Grand Forks, Northern MN, Iron Range).  The team could generate a ton of shots but just didn't have the pure goal scorers to finish.  That showed up all tournament and was especially obvious on our dismal power plays.  Canada was the opposite, they had girls that could bury the puck.

Second thought in my mind is that UND's women's hockey program used to be a driving force in supplying players to Team USA.  For the good of the country you guys might need to bring it back.  I'd be all in favor of my USA Hockey dues throwing some subsidies your way to do so.

Finally, after watching these Olympics and watching her younger brother play in his first hockey tournament recently, my 7 year old daughter has announced she is playing hockey next season.  She should.  She's a better skater than many of the Mite boys in our program just from rink ratting and open skates.  She also states that she is better than her brother and that he is lazy out on the ice.  She is a gymnast and the best athlete in our family.  Fact.  2034 Games here we come.

7 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

My favorite part of this Olympics?

Russia aka ROC aka "Not-Russia", population 144 million, cheats like crazy, and fails to top the medals table.

Norway, population 5 million, very clean (not perfect but pretty close), tops the medals table. 

SKOL!

Unforunately they are about to capture the most medals they had since they cheated in Sochi, and if you are to believe 538, they grossly overachieved at these olympics. Great job in thinking that competing at the ROC would "shame" Russia.... way to go IOC. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/winter-olympics-medal-count/?cid=rrpromo

by the same standards, US grossly underachieved this year in the olympics. 

8 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

After the USA women lost the first thought in my mind is too many players from everywhere else and not enough players from up north (Grand Forks, Northern MN, Iron Range).  The team could generate a ton of shots but just didn't have the pure goal scorers to finish.  That showed up all tournament and was especially obvious on our dismal power plays.  Canada was the opposite, they had girls that could bury the puck.

Second thought in my mind is that UND's women's hockey program used to be a driving force in supplying players to Team USA.  For the good of the country you guys might need to bring it back.  I'd be all in favor of my USA Hockey dues throwing some subsidies your way to do so.

Finally, after watching these Olympics and watching her younger brother play in his first hockey tournament recently, my 7 year old daughter has announced she is playing hockey next season.  She should.  She's a better skater than many of the Mite boys in our program just from rink ratting and open skates.  She also states that she is better than her brother and that he is lazy out on the ice.  She is a gymnast and the best athlete in our family.  Fact.  2034 Games here we come.

2, only 2, and one was cut from the team before 2018 Olympics

Well, USA Hockey means business.  They will not tolerate subpart Olympic performances so we're throwing more money at it.  Anybody else get the email today?   USAH fees going up. 

$15 for U6, $50 for U8.  Graduating scale from Squirts to Midgets/Juniors topping out at $70.  They site rising costs but they don't pay our volunteers or ice bills.  Hell, we don't even get free equipment or sticks and jerseys for the 2 & 2 Challenge anymore.

Seriously?  Way to grow the game by charging U6/U8 players.  That used to be free.  I'm on recruiting committee at my association.  You know how much b!tching I get about USA Hockey fees?  Plenty, from players and coaches.

The jacked up Junior fees are just there to grab money from USHL/NAHL camps and tryouts.  Have to register USAH just to tryout, not to play in the league.

Personally, I've thrown so much money at this game I don't even count anymore, I'm afraid to see the total number.  But when it comes to recruiting kids into the game that $50 matters.  Our association only charges $50 for first year U8 and we've had our foundation reimburse that the last several years.  That's right, free hockey.

USA Hockey.  Money.  Grab.

But bet your arse on March 5 I'll still be there volunteering at Try Hockey for Free Day.

7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Unforunately they are about to capture the most medals they had since they cheated in Sochi, and if you are to believe 538, they grossly overachieved at these olympics. Great job in thinking that competing at the ROC would "shame" Russia.... way to go IOC. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/winter-olympics-medal-count/?cid=rrpromo

by the same standards, US grossly underachieved this year in the olympics. 

538 doesn't specify how they calculated their expected values for medals, so I'm left to guess.  Compared to 2018, Russia/not-Russia has more in cross-country skiing and biathlon, but their medals in those sports roughly mirror World Cup results this year. 

So 2018 was an aberration for ROC/not-Russia (below trend), and it seems pretty clear that doping standards relaxed from 2018 to 2022.  Will be fascinating to see how the post-event testing works out (how many medals reversed).

USA got 23 medals in 2018 and 21 so far in 2022.  Doesn't sound all that bad, but there is a large "what could have been" if Shiffrin had gotten the Slalom and GS like we hoped for.  

Bottom line not sure I agree entirely with 538 forecasts or methodology.  

IIHF - IIHF leadership excited in Beijing

“Nine games ended with a goal difference of five goals or more compared to eight at the 2018 Olympics but we also had more games here with the new format. We had six such games at the last Women’s World Championship, which shows that the level is getting higher.”

After the increase from eight to ten teams, she also mentioned thoughts about making the Olympic women’s ice hockey tournament even bigger.

“We will evaluate in the future to recommend the IOC to increase the number of women’s teams to 12 teams as on the men’s side because we think that equality is important.”

One topic was the dominance of Canada and the United States in women’s hockey. The countries today faced off in an Olympic women’s ice hockey gold medal game for the sixth time in seven editions and regularly there are journalists questioning whether women’s ice hockey should be played at the Olympics due to a dominance that also exists in several other Olympic sports.

“In Vancouver 2010 some people said if it’s just between Canada and the USA we can stop. But there has been big progress in women’s hockey.

Not sure what they saw but I saw the same old thing that happens every time. The Czechs did give the US all they could handle but it was all USA the whole game.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, cberkas said:

So the IOC asking other sports governing bodies to ban Russian’s and Belarusian’s. Sounds like the IOC is going to also.

Yet they continue to bless China with the Olympics.  

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, Yote 53 said:

Well, USA Hockey means business.  They will not tolerate subpart Olympic performances so we're throwing more money at it.  Anybody else get the email today?   USAH fees going up. 

$15 for U6, $50 for U8.  Graduating scale from Squirts to Midgets/Juniors topping out at $70.  They site rising costs but they don't pay our volunteers or ice bills.  Hell, we don't even get free equipment or sticks and jerseys for the 2 & 2 Challenge anymore.

Seriously?  Way to grow the game by charging U6/U8 players.  That used to be free.  I'm on recruiting committee at my association.  You know how much b!tching I get about USA Hockey fees?  Plenty, from players and coaches.

The jacked up Junior fees are just there to grab money from USHL/NAHL camps and tryouts.  Have to register USAH just to tryout, not to play in the league.

Personally, I've thrown so much money at this game I don't even count anymore, I'm afraid to see the total number.  But when it comes to recruiting kids into the game that $50 matters.  Our association only charges $50 for first year U8 and we've had our foundation reimburse that the last several years.  That's right, free hockey.

USA Hockey.  Money.  Grab.

But bet your arse on March 5 I'll still be there volunteering at Try Hockey for Free Day.

$90 for level 3 or 4 officials plus state fee now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...