SiouxSports.com Forum

What’s happening in Omaha (USHL)?

The Sicatoka

Reading Schlossman’s tweets today, USHL Omaha has fired their coach (8-4-2 record)  and now the rest of the staff has resigned. Whispers of significant budget cuts there also abound. And there’s a whisper of a “Charlestown Chiefs” scenario happening. 

What’s going on in Omaha? 

According to an Omaha World-Herald article:

Multiple coaches resigned and players unanimously voted to boycott three weekend games in protest to management’s treatment of coach Chadd Cassidy and budget constraints that do not seem to conform to United States Hockey League standards.

Does UND have any commits down there?

4 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

According to an Omaha World-Herald article:

Multiple coaches resigned and players unanimously voted to boycott three weekend games in protest to management’s treatment of coach Chadd Cassidy and budget constraints that do not seem to conform to United States Hockey League standards.

Does UND have any commits down there?

as of 10/19/21...no, based off what I found on the Herald's website

Keep reading the tweets... it only gets worse.  There was apparently a huge confrontation with the temporary head coach this morning which prompted all the other coaches to resign. The team hasn't been feeding players post game meals. Super tough spot to be in as a player and coach. These are high schoolers and recent grads, often living far from home, who have always dreamed of playing higher levels of hockey. The willingness to stand up to terrible ownership is... brave? I'm not sure what the right word is. Kudos to the team and coaches for sticking together.  I'm sure there is more than we are even hearing about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Keep reading the tweets... it only gets worse.  There was apparently a huge confrontation with the temporary head coach this morning which prompted all the other coaches to resign. The team hasn't been feeding players post game meals. Super tough spot to be in as a player and coach. These are high schoolers and recent grads, often living far from home, who have always dreamed of playing higher levels of hockey. The willingness to stand up to terrible ownership is... brave? I'm not sure what the right word is. Kudos to the team and coaches for sticking together.  I'm sure there is more than we are even hearing about.

The word you are looking for is STUPID.  There are thousands and thousands of players that are paying to play in junior hockey leagues all over North America.  There are thousands of players in the NAHL, NCDC, Canadian Jr A that would kill for a USHL call-up.  Players are replaceable so they better watch their step.  The difference between players from Tier 1 to Tier 2 to even Tier 3 is not as great as people think.  There are a TON of good players out there these days.  The difference between them is the opportunities they are given.

19 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

The word you are looking for is STUPID.  There are thousands and thousands of players that are paying to play in junior hockey leagues all over North America.  There are thousands of players in the NAHL, NCDC, Canadian Jr A that would kill for a USHL call-up.  Players are replaceable so they better watch their step.  The difference between players from Tier 1 to Tier 2 to even Tier 3 is not as great as people think.  There are a TON of good players out there these days.  The difference between them is the opportunities they are given.

There are also minimum standards for a Tier 1 program and from the sounds of it, they were not being met.
That's on the league to step in and they didn't.
And firing a coach and then having to ask him come back and coach while saying you'll "rethink the decision" and then not.
Plus lying about him stepping down?

There's a big mess here and I think it is a pretty far stretch to blame the players for trying to hold ownership accountable to at least meet required, bare minimum standards.

• Upvote 1

I'm not blaming the players for the situation.  They didn't create the situation, but they are contributing to making it worse.  I am saying their reaction of boycotting games was stupid and there are thousands of players that would take their spots in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

I realize there are minimum standards for Tier 1 & Tier 2.  But I also know that many teams in the USHL and NAHL are cutting corners in an effort to survive after last season's shutdowns.  Do you want these teams and leagues to survive?  Because that is what we're kind of talking about.  Maybe it's time to have a discussion about the standards set in Junior hockey and the costs of providing those standards.  Canadian Jr A is mostly pay to play leagues now.  The NAHL has billet and equipment costs.  The USHL fancies itself as competing with Major Junior, and the league is very good, but in the end the USHL is a feeder league to the NCAA just like the NAHL and all the other Tier 2 & 3 leagues.  

Now, Omaha, they are idiots.  Put a guy in charge that has no business running a hockey organization.  I wasn't shocked when Coach Wilkie left this past summer, I knew something was rotten there when that happened.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Ya man , bad take, like really bad.

You are correct in your facts to support your bad take for sure, but... No.

I see leadership qualities in the young men that stood up and said enough. Good on them. 

Ownership and management in Omaha are turds, have been for a long time, Flush'em all.

• Upvote 4

On 11/19/2021 at 10:24 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Ya man , bad take, like really bad.

You are correct in your facts to support your bad take for sure, but... No.

I see leadership qualities in the young men that stood up and said enough. Good on them. 

Ownership and management in Omaha are turds, have been for a long time, Flush'em all.

I stand by my take for reasons that have nothing to do with the players in Omaha.  I am sure they are fine, upstanding young men and they thought what they were doing was the right way to handle it.  In fact, most junior hockey players I have met across all levels are some pretty good kids that try to do things the right way.  It's a hockey culture thing.  I just disagree with boycotts as there are other avenues they could have taken.  They all have connections with advisors/agents and college coaches they have committed to that are respected hockey people that could have taken the issues straight to the top of the USHL and USA Hockey.  I just don't agree with refusing to play, that's all.

Agree with everything you said about Omaha ownership and management.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...