SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad Experiences at the Ralph

lucky

Someone from the marketing department at the Ralph came into my marketing class and talked to us about ways to increase attendance at the Ralph. We were asked to come with a current problem and a possible solution. This is a semester project and the Ralph is actually going to look at our ideas. My group is thinking of focusing on poor customer relations. We are looking for some personal stories of times people feel they have been treated poorly at the Ralph. Anyway you could help would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE the Place - I smile every time I'm in there & think how Lucky we are to have such a Fabulous Arena. (Thank You Ralph) !!!

I have had good luck with seating (I was one of the last to get season tickets when it opened) - this yr we got 4 seats together (where before my daughter & son inlaw from Fargo were in one section & we were in another ) & we wanted to not be so high up, as my wife has bad knees (But there is not a bad seat in the house) - it took some persistence & contacting the right people, at the right times - But they came thru like Champs !!!

I wish Beer & Mikes were not so expensive & maybe had guys selling it in the isles like at the Excel ?- (I never go in the bars) so that does not effect me. Like the Food / Concessions so much better than the old Ralph.

What a Fabulous place - Makes Winters bearable up here :D

Trying to think of something to complain about ? ? ? :)

I hope my new radio works better inside the Ralph (tried two others) and had terrible time keeping the signal ? You would think with all the tech wizardry they could get a antenna or booster to get better reception inside there ?

I wish we had a Quality semi-pro team that was in-town every weekend the Sioux were out of town :angry:

I hope my new car starter works the couple blocks away I have to walk to park - so it's warmer when I get there after the game :angry:

I too love that place. Just walking in the door makes me smile. The seats, view, and especially hockey are the best.

The only two complaints I would have are:

1. Sound system: the sound bounces off the glass and makes it impossible to understand Hennen. Those of us in the lower section behind the goalie can not understand 90% of what is being said either by the announcer or on the big screen.

2.Yearly changing of prices and what you get for your fighting sioux club. The word out now is that the bars on both ends are closed to all except ticket holders for club seats. While I agree that it must be tough for those people with seats in the bar, again I lose something but are required to pay more. I also see that as a coaches club member I no longer get the media guide. I feel like we get nickeled and dimed to death. Pay more but get less.... I go there for the hockey, but they are pricing most people out of the arena and that is really too bad as there are wonderful Sioux fans at all income levels. - In summary, stablize the prices, and what each club level receives. When we said we wanted to get our tickets again, nothing was mentioned about changes so it feels like we paid for something and got something less......

Sorry but You asked!

Trying to think of something to complain about ? ? ? :D

I hope my new radio works better inside the Ralph (tried two others) and had terrible time keeping the signal ? You would think with all the tech wizardry they could get a antenna or booster to get better reception inside there ?

I agree, there are decisions that I don't always agree with, but I love the place and am glad we are fortunate enough to watch the Sioux play in such a beautiful building.

My only complaint would be that of Fetch's. You would think, one of these days they will find something to make the radio reception much better.

2.Yearly changing of prices and what you get for your fighting sioux club. The word out now is that the bars on both ends are closed to all except ticket holders for club seats. While I agree that it must be tough for those people with seats in the bar, again I lose something but are required to pay more. I also see that as a coaches club member I no longer get the media guide. I feel like we get nickeled and dimed to death. Pay more but get less.... I go there for the hockey, but they are pricing most people out of the arena and that is really too bad as there are wonderful Sioux fans at all income levels. - In summary, stablize the prices, and what each club level receives. When we said we wanted to get our tickets again, nothing was mentioned about changes so it feels like we paid for something and got something less......

If you want a marketing assignment - here it is. UNDproud has summed up the problems with the REA perfectly in this paragraph - period.

I LOVE the Place - I smile every time I'm in there & think how Lucky we are to have such a Fabulous Arena. (Thank You Ralph) !!!

I have had good luck with seating (I was one of the last to get season tickets when it opened) - this yr we got 4 seats together (where before my daughter & son inlaw from Fargo were in one section & we were in another ) & we wanted to not be so high up, as my wife has bad knees (But there is not a bad seat in the house) - it took some persistence & contacting the right people, at the right times - But they came thru like Champs !!!

I wish Beer & Mikes were not so expensive & maybe had guys selling it in the isles like at the Excel ?- (I never go in the bars) so that does not effect me. Like the Food / Concessions so much better than the old Ralph.

What a Fabulous place - Makes Winters bearable up here

Find out why I had to pay an extra $5 for a "lap ticket" for my then one-year old son to attend. I'm sure he has fond memories of his first Sioux game. :D

Cripes....You can fly anywhere in the world on any airline for nothing as a one year old "lap child" on the leg of your parent but you can't attend a game at the REA unless you fork out $5!! wow!

Increase attendance?

UND has one of the highest attendance average per capacity in the country. The problem is 1) season ticket holders who don't show and 2) Not selling the GA/Student tickets for lower level teams. This is usually when a person not familiar with Sioux hockey can get a chance to purchase a ticket. Experiences they will probably notice their first time is Parking. A first timer probably doesn't know where to park. Is it at the old Memorial stadium and waiting for a bus? I don't think people enjoy that to much when it's -30 F. But I know of no short term solution.

One could sell rush tickets, but I don't think REA wants to do this, because a couple years ago, we couldn't even find seats in the student section, and it wasn't even for the gophers. The attendants tried helping us find seats but to no prevail. So we went to the lower bowl to sit in seats that were unoccupied, but the attendants wanted to look at our tickets. After about thirty minutes of this we decided to leave.

2.Yearly changing of prices and what you get for your fighting sioux club.  The word out now is that the bars on both ends are closed to all except ticket holders for club seats.  While I agree that it must be tough for those people with seats in the bar, again I lose something but are required to pay more. I also see that as a coaches club member I no longer get the media guide.  I feel like we get nickeled and dimed to death.  Pay more but get less.... I go there for the hockey, but they are pricing most people out of the arena and that is really too bad as there are wonderful Sioux fans at all income levels. - In summary, stablize the prices, and what each club level receives. When we said we wanted to get our tickets again, nothing was mentioned about changes so it feels like we paid for something and got something less......

I agree 100%, not that I think REA gives a rat's hind-part. No coaches club media guide is a complete joke. Oops... I better watch myself. I might get a media guide next year when the "tax-deductable" donation goes to $1200.00 :D:)

Last year the Sioux lost a couple of games at the Ralph. It was better than the previous years, but I for one do not pay money to see the home team lose. If you please make sure the Sioux win all of there home games this season, it would be much appreciated.

How about the technology getting used for something other than ads when there is a stoppage in play or between periods?

Cheers can be put up, rousers, etc. In fact, I THINK there is an old thread around here somewhere that says what can be done with the tech.

A question: Not entirely appropriate to this thread but... what time does the General Public gates open? Does it open the same time as the students?

How about the technology getting used for something other than ads when there is a stoppage in play or between periods?

Cheers can be put up, rousers, etc. In fact, I THINK there is an old thread around here somewhere that says what can be done with the tech.

A question: Not entirely appropriate to this thread but... what time does the General Public gates open? Does it open the same time as the students?

Do they still play the commercial where cal ripken is standing on the field tne then his daughter comes out and says "dad, are you ready to go"?

They played that for 2 years straight the first two years of the REA's existance.

Go back to the first year intro, of the Sioux capping off their 7 national titles, splice in some big hits. You could see that as the year went on, some teams would try not to look up at the board(probably told by their coaches not too....other coaches probably told them about it after there teams were in awe of it.) The intro they used that year is better than anything they have used since.

**Warning long post...

One area you may focus on customer wise is the sound system for concerts. I have heard repeatedly from many different sources (and have experienced myself) just how bad the sound can be. It seems to be ok if you have floor seats, but if you are sitting in the lower bowl on the sides it can be the worst concert you'll ever attend. I have several examples from family, friends, and strangers, but here is my own worst experience:

9 of us attended the Brian Mccomas(sp?), Chris Cagle, Rascal Flatts concert. We ranged in age from 20-53 and had seats in different sections of the lower bowl. I say this so you will know that it is highly unlikely we all had hearing problems. We literally could not understand a word of what was being sung even when we knew the words to the songs. Near the end of the first concert I went to customer service and let them know and asked if they could get a note to the sound crew. I was told that this wasn't their responsibility. The sound was done by the artists not by the Ralph. I explained that I was aware of that but asked if they could just get note to the crew. After trying for about 5 min. to get them to understand that it wasn't just me that couldn't hear, they finally said they would see what they could do. Whether or not they got them the message I don't know, but the only part of the night we could understand was the acoustic part of Rascal Flatts. At the end of their concert they sang "Free Ride" If memory serves. I have heard that song my entire life, it took until the second chorus for me to figure out what they were singing!

I don't know what the solution is -- possibly have them use the Ralph sound system, have better sound checks, don't seat people on the sides. All I know is I have heard from several people that they will not go back for a concert, and I would have to think pretty hard before I would buy tickets again too. If they do get it fixed it may be in the best interest of the arena to advertise that they have a new and better sound system so that people will come back.

I love the Ralph and what it is doing for UND and the community and would like to see it either improve for concerts or stop hosting them.

Increase attendance?

UND has one of the highest attendance average per capacity in the country. The problem is 1) season ticket holders who don't show and 2) Not selling the GA/Student tickets for lower level teams.

... AND, this is the really crazy part ...

NOT selling season tickets to students who want them .... like how stupid is that?

(I know this has been beat on other threads, but it bears mentioning again... argh)

... AND, this is the really crazy part ...

NOT selling season tickets to students who want them .... like how stupid is that?

(I know this has been beat on other threads, but it bears mentioning again... argh)

this is not only your school's problem...you guys are just starting to feel the pain....

WPoS

**Warning long post...

One area you may focus on customer wise is the sound system for concerts. I have heard repeatedly from many different sources (and have experienced myself) just how bad the sound can be. It seems to be ok if you have floor seats, but if you are sitting in the lower bowl on the sides it can be the worst concert you'll ever attend. I have several examples from family, friends, and strangers, but here is my own worst experience:

9 of us attended the Brian Mccomas(sp?), Chris Cagle, Rascal Flatts concert. We ranged in age from 20-53 and had seats in different sections of the lower bowl. I say this so you will know that it is highly unlikely we all had hearing problems. We literally could not understand a word of what was being sung even when we knew the words to the songs. Near the end of the first concert I went to customer service and let them know and asked if they could get a note to the sound crew. I was told that this wasn't their responsibility. The sound was done by the artists not by the Ralph. I explained that I was aware of that but asked if they could just get note to the crew. After trying for about 5 min. to get them to understand that it wasn't just me that couldn't hear, they finally said they would see what they could do. Whether or not they got them the message I don't know, but the only part of the night we could understand was the acoustic part of Rascal Flatts. At the end of their concert they sang "Free Ride" If memory serves. I have heard that song my entire life, it took until the second chorus for me to figure out what they were singing!

I don't know what the solution is -- possibly have them use the Ralph sound system, have better sound checks, don't seat people on the sides. All I know is I have heard from several people that they will not go back for a concert, and I would have to think pretty hard before I would buy tickets again too. If they do get it fixed it may be in the best interest of the arena to advertise that they have a new and better sound system so that people will come back.

I love the Ralph and what it is doing for UND and the community and would like to see it either improve for concerts or stop hosting them.

This is a Ralph related post, and I think the sound system is the biggest problem in the arena by far! I was also at the concert you mentioned, as well as a few others, and the sound was extremely horrible. It was very hard to understand the artists. I had floor seats and side seats. During hockey games, we sit in the corner about halway up the upper section. We can't understand what people are saying when they have their interviews before the game and during the intermissions. I love the Ralph, but the sound system quite simply SUCKS!!!

The Ralph Engelstad Arena: Doing everything it can to ruin sioux sports since 2001

Wow that place is such a joke. Over the past 3 years I have seen fan support and atmosphere drop dramatically due to the soul fact of the Ralph being the money hungry corporation it is. Funny how Arena Holdings Charitable, LLC is the name of the operating personal of the Ralph. Nothing very charitable giving only 14% of seats to students and taking away the upper level bars for the "average fan" if you ask me

Unfortunately I agree with you, Jockey. Since the Ralph opened, there has been a very "corporate" atmosphere just like you find in the NHL rinks....it's all about money. As beautiful as the new arena is, the first thing I noticed about it 3 years ago was the lack of leg room compared to the old Ralph. I realize that adding a few extra inches of space multiplied by the total number of rows would have been quite costly, however, I get sick and tired of having to stand up everytime someone wants to come or go from their seats.

I'd love to see an usher enforce the "in your seat when the puck is in play" rule. People trying to get in and out of rows during play drives me nuts.

I'd also sell "rush" seating again. I don't like seeing open seats in Sections 307-310.

As far as operations of REA, they still operate under the mandate: The arena

Thanks everyone! You have had some examples of things I had not heard of. I know most student complaints since I am a student, it was good to hear others. I hope I am not approaching this too negatively. :) I am a little bitter because last year I camped out for three nights and had season tickets and this year that didnt matter at all! :D I didn't tickets this year! They just dont have enough student season tickets! If you have more stories let me know.