SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandelin vs Berry

gfhockey

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

My, have things changed from just 2.5 years ago...

I was thrilled to win the natty yes. But I was never fully bought in with Berry. These teams are for the most part now teams he has built. Do you see where that’s got us? That championship team didn’t need Berry to win the ship they were just so effing good. Hak built that team (but berry was one of the recruiters... blah blah blah) maybe he is a good recruiter as an assistant but those kids still bought in the Hak and came here for him.  Maybe berry would be better suited to still be an assistant where he can focus on recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I was thrilled to win the natty yes. But I was never fully bought in with Berry. These teams are for the most part now teams he has built. Do you see where that’s got us? That championship team didn’t need Berry to win the ship they were just so effing good. Hak built that team (but berry was one of the recruiters... blah blah blah) maybe he is a good recruiter as an assistant but those kids still bought into Hak and came here for him.  Maybe berry would be better suited to still be an assistant where he can focus on recruiting. 

I’m pretty much in agreement with you.  If Schmaltz’s rebound bounces off the post and DU goes on to win the 2016 semi-final in OT, I’d almost imagine Berry being dismissed at the upcoming Christmas break. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m pretty much in agreement with you.  If Schmaltz’s rebound bounces off the post and DU goes on to win the 2016 semi-final in OT, I’d almost imagine Berry being dismissed at the upcoming Christmas break. 

But it didn't. 

If Hak was coach, it would have bounced off the post. He just was snake-bit and if he was the Coach there'd be no Natty. Period.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Question: Have we gone to the well one too many times with regards to where we are recruiting? Remember when it was all the rage (and for good reason) to get players from Shattuck? Now it appears that the BCHL has become the latest beauty league to recruit from but meanwhile, we’re missing out (perhaps by choice, I don’t know) good players from northern Minnesota and Manitoba-geography where UND historically recruited and landed some really good talent. I wonder if Colt Conrad even got a whiff of interest from UND? 

42 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'd argue that the goal going in off Ausmus in that same game was more bad puck luck than anything that affected the 2011 team. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, shep said:

If Hak was coach, it would have bounced off the post. He just was snake-bit and if he was the Coach there'd be no Natty. Period.

By the same token, if Tommy Lasorda wasn’t manager of the Dodgers, the Kirk Gibson home run would have never happened.  Ditto for Chuck Knoll of the Steelers and the “Immaculate Reception.”  

• Upvote 1

Just now, MafiaMan said:

By the same token, if Tommy Lasorda wasn’t manager of the Dodgers, the Kirk Gibson home run would have never happened.  Ditto for Chuck Knoll of the Steelers and the “Immaculate Reception.”  

Some guys have "it" and some don't. I think it's unfair and frankly it sucks for those who are good to great coaches, but for whatever reason they just don't get the breaks. I just looked at the Hak record- tough, tough losses in the Final Four. The Michigan game will always be the one that sticks with me. Snake bit from start to finish.

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Using your football analogy, Hak was the Bud Grant of college hockey. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Using your logic, Bud Grant was a terrible coach.

Not at all. He was a very good coach. 

I think Hak was a very good coach, but just couldn't win the BIG one. Not sure why, but the record speaks for itself.

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Who moves the team's #2 faceoff guy from the dot for a rookie wing for an offensive zone faceoff with slightly more than a minute to go in the biggest game of the year so far? 

That decision is 100% on the coaches and it directly led to the game winner.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Houston1852 said:

I like Berry as a person, but as a coach I’m losing confidence.  If you take away the championship season he is 45-35-14.  Definitely doesn’t help to lose players early but it’s always been that way.  On the other hand I think our players are a little too spoiled at the Ralph.  Don’t put up any effort in half the games then go back to hanging out in the multi million dollar players room for ping pong and Xbox. 

And if you get rid of last season he is 63-28-8. It's just as meaningless as taking away the championship season. 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, Godsmack said:

Question: Have we gone to the well one too many times with regards to where we are recruiting? Remember when it was all the rage (and for good reason) to get players from Shattuck? Now it appears that the BCHL has become the latest beauty league to recruit from but meanwhile, we’re missing out (perhaps by choice, I don’t know) good players from northern Minnesota and Manitoba-geography where UND historically recruited and landed some really good talent. I wonder if Colt Conrad even got a whiff of interest from UND? 

More likely than not, the best players play in the ushl.  It’s by far and away the toughest junior A league in NA.  Obviously there are high end players in the BC and other Canadian leagues too.  But from a depth perspective, it’s the ushl and nothing is really that close.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

The funny part of the “Hak’s a loser” crowd — yourself included — is that even if he HAD won a title in his tenure, your group would STILL whine because he had the best facilities available along with the most talent and should have won 3-5 titles.   

that is literally a big big "if"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1