SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

But a local (ND/MN) connection (which I would argue is perhaps even worse than over-favoring a UND connection) has been, particularly with Rudolph and Kostich. Those two haven't worked out. 

Rudy and Kostich should both be fired.  Their play calling, player development, and talent evaluation skills are all lacking.  However, if we didn't have any coaches from ND/MN, we'd likely be complaining about how a lack of local coaches is hurting our local recruiting.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Rudy and Kostich should both be fired.  Their play calling, player development, and talent evaluation skills are all lacking.  However, if we didn't have any coaches from ND/MN, we'd likely be complaining about how a lack of local coaches is hurting our local recruiting.

Sure, but don't lose sight of the point I'm trying to make. 

If it comes down to two candidates for a position, one local and the other non-local but better qualified or with more potential, take the one with better credentials. The local and/or UND connections need to be better weighed than perhaps done in the past.

That is my point, pure and simple. If the best guy also happens to be local, great -- that's a win/win. 

Many felt back in 2013 that DoBoer was the better head coaching candidate; however, Schweigert got the job. It is quite suspicious that the tie breaker was simply the UND/more local connections. 

listening to jason witten and booger analyze the cowboys game last night sounded a lot like critics the sioux football team...predictably run on first down, maybe run again on second down, and then have your qb throw off his back foot for a int instead of throwing it away and taking the fg.

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Many felt back in 2013 that DoBoer was the better head coaching candidate; however, Schweigert got the job. It is quite suspicious that the tie breaker was simply the UND/more local connections. 

"Many" meaning who? People on this board who have continually proven how they never get anything wrong?
And where was it disclosed that it was a tie between Bubba and Kalen and there was an arbitrary tie-break of "local connections" used? I didn't see that in the press release.

33 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

.....but how many 6'2" white 4.8 WRs does UND really need?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

"Many" meaning who? People on this board who have continually proven how they never get anything wrong?
And where was it disclosed that it was a tie between Bubba and Kalen and there was an arbitrary tie-break of "local connections" used? I didn't see that in the press release.

"Many" meaning who?........there were some in Vegas who shared this opinion.  

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Settle down, now.

It was well publicized that DoBoer and Schweigert were the two finalists. As such, obviously some within the department (not the majority) felt DoBoer was the top candidate.  

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/2204936-und-football-head-coach-pool-down-two

From there, I clearly stated that it was suspicious the tie-breaker was the UND connection for Schweigert. If you have a better answer or actually know why Schweigert was the one hired, please let us know. If you are just questioning me to start unnecessary arguments and drama, then I don’t want any part in it.  

See the entirety of my previous posts to see why this is a discussion related to the FUTURE of UND football.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

From there, I clearly stated that it was suspicious the tie-breaker was the UND connection for Schweigert. If you have a better answer or actually know why Schweigert was the one hired, please let us know. If you are just questioning me to start unnecessary arguments and drama, then I don’t want any part in it.  

Two finalists does not mean they were equal and there was a tie-breaker used.
I didn't sit in on those interviews but I'm going to take an educated guess that Bubba probably interviewed better along with laying out a better plan on how to get UND back to where they should be.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Many" meaning who?........there were some in Vegas who shared this opinion.  

Well, that settles it then...
I'd assume none of those were people that have ever expressed their desire for Hak or Berry to be fired are they?

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

.....but how many 6'2" white 4.8 WRs does UND really need?

I'm not saying those 2 have been successful in landing the best local players, but we'd be complaining about a lack of local coaches if we didn't have any.  Complaining is what we do.

With that said, I really like Wanzek and Maag.  And Toivonen is solid as well.  Should they all be on the field at the same time?  Not in most situations.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Two finalists does not mean they were equal and there was a tie-breaker used.
I didn't sit in on those interviews but I'm going to take an educated guess that Bubba probably interviewed better along with laying out a better plan on how to get UND back to where they should be.

Well, that settles it then...
I'd assume none of those were people that have ever expressed their desire for Hak or Berry to be fired are they?

To your first point.....how's that plan working out? Just an educated guess.....not well to date.

To point two.....it settles nothing but if you are taking an educated guess that some here are just spouting off on topics/issues/conversations one had with random UND fans/rubes....well keep guessing.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To your first point.....how's that plan working out? Just an educated guess.....not well to date.

To point two.....it settles nothing but if you are taking an educated guess that some here are just spouting off on topics/issues/conversations one had with random UND fans/rubes....well keep guessing.

I get the venting. I'm just as frustrated as the rest of the fans. And it pales in comparison to where the staff and team are at.

My issue is people stating 100% speculation or opinion as facts when there is absolutely no backing to the comments.

When reading this board I get the general consensus is that the special teams are horrible (I totally agree), Rudy sucks and that Bubba, although a nice guy, is not capable of leading this team where it needs to go. So I decided to look up some stats to see what they say. I am using NDSU stats to compare because they are the best team in FCS and no I am not a troll, I just want facts not feelings to lead the discussion. I tried to find the stats that best show total offensive and defensive production.

OFFENSE.   NDSU.    UND

Rush.              9.            11

Pass.              94.          92

Total.              34.          35

Score.             13.          56

DEFENSE

Rushing.         9.            27

Pass.              32.          107

Total.              12.          60

Score.              5.           28

To me the biggest difference is in the defense.

After seeing the big difference in offensive scoring I checked out red zone offense and SU ranked 7 and UND ranked 97.

Discuss....

1 hour ago, Tangolou said:

After seeing the big difference in offensive scoring I checked out red zone offense and SU ranked 7 and UND ranked 97.

Discuss....

Play calling?

Some of those UND offense is almost as good as the NDSU offense numbers dont account for SOS (Massey NDSU #5 UND #27).

48 minutes ago, Cratter said:

A tie is being generous...to Bubba.

DeBoer is pulling in $300,000+ a year already in his young career.

Must be half decent in his interviews.

He's been coaching for over 20 years now. Did a helluva job at EMU making $150K and got a nice promotion to OC at Fresno. He also has a pretty damn good HC who knows a thing or two about offenses helping him out right now. Pretty remarkable turnaround at Fresno with Tedford at the helm.

None of which proves he would or wouldn't have been a successful head coach at the FCS level. He did extremely well at the NAIA level after taking over a powerhouse (before they started changing their eligibility rules). Plenty of examples on both sides of success and failures from coordinators moving to head coach.

Just now, Cratter said:

How can we change UNDs?

go for it on fourth down against fresno state instead of punting it away

go for it on fourth down against idaho instead of trying to punt it away

run brady up the middle against richmond instead of doing a trick play

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

So, you’re guessing? 

Don't be too critical of those also using critical thought then. 

The points brought up are fair. You may not agree with them but you have nothing to refute them.

UND and local connections need to be weighed appropriately during hiring processes for important positions.

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Play calling?

Some of those UND offense is almost as good as the NDSU offense numbers dont account for SOS (Massey NDSU #5 UND #27).

The SOS would make a difference but not just on offense. The defensive numbers would be even worse, right?

I think if UND could block for a punt the last couple years we wouldn't be talking about replaceing Bubba, but he is in charge and results matter in the real world...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

The SOS would make a difference but not just on offense. The defensive numbers would be even worse, right?

Massey says UND currently has the 20th best FCS defense vs the 34th best offense.

Someone smarter than me can post the Sagarin numbers.

The pass defense hasn’t been a strength of UND’s defense at all while Bubba has been head coach starting in 2014.

Even in 2016 it was poor but the turnovers (interceptions) certainly helped offset that.

Minus 2017, the run defense has been quite good, though. 

45 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So, you’re guessing? 

Don't be too critical of those also using critical thought then. 

The points brought up are fair. You may not agree with them but you have nothing to refute them.

UND and local connections need to be weighed appropriately during hiring processes for important positions.

Claiming that the interview was a tie and Bubba got the job strictly because he has local ties based on absolutely nothing isn't critical thinking. Claiming the other candidate would have had more success also isn't critical thinking, it's pure conjecture.

Bubba was here when UND was successful. Anyone who's talked to him knows the passion he has for UND and how much he wants the University to be successful. It doesn't take "critical thinking" to understand how those things are going to come through in an interview.