SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: F'N Hawks vs Bobcats

geaux_sioux

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is basically the same dline that won the Big Sky last season.  They don't seem to be making plays either.  

They have got it handed to them the last two weeks.  Some of it is scheme as well though, I have watched the DL stunt out of plays a lot which means the player is struggling but the staff is getting out coached and is putting them in bad spots.  I think Schmidt needs to do a little self scouting and break some tendencies.  That being said it's really hard to stop the run when pretty much every RB is getting 2 and 3 yards after contact.  Lot's to fix in the run defense right now! 

I'm going to copy UNDColorado here "I'm still here so hoping I don't get labeled a bandwagon fan." 

I was fishing Saturday without a working phone or radio. When I heard the final FB score that evening, my stomach dropped about 6" and my knees dam near gave out. This news, after the SD coaching mastery, puts us as a long shot for a team that could make a deep run in the playoffs. Now, opposing coaches and players are beating us at all aspects of the game.

Our depth is not near as good as the preseason word on the street may have been.

Injuries are our biggest part of the problem. And without the depth, the rest of the team also begins to struggle, the whole team becomes less efficient. Football is such a team sport, and when opposing teams have great success against your weaknesses, your mental part of the game can begin to deteriorate, including coaches. Then the possibility for every player not playing to their potential. After the players have felt last season's positives,  we could more likely be at this sad point now.

This is a real challenge for our coaches. The rest of the season will show us what kind of coach Bubba really is? What he can do with the rest of the staff? Need to get players fired up and play well. Need changes in games approach and play calling because opposing teams have figured us out?

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Totally agree.  Obviously, we'll never know what difference it ultimately would have made, but it would have been a momentum-producing punch in MSU's gut for us vs. a deflating having nothing to show for what was an excellent opening drive.

Not getting that TD was huge, not saying we for sure win the game or something if we do but if we get a TD there........mentally I think we are feeling good and moving on from the USD game.  But after that, and then getting the field goal blocked.......that was a huge blow in momentum, especially since they came down and scored right after.  It just felt like a continuation from the USD game after we got that field goal blocked.  That one sack that we had their QB for a 7-8 yard loss and he totally got out of it and then they later scored a TD on the drive was also big.  

15 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I feel like this is a huge problem.  Nobody seems to take the bull by the horns when the chips are down.  There is still time, but someone needs to get it going in the right direction and stop making excuses.

I thought Keaton was playing inspired and trying to get the team going, he had a couple of nice runs that got the crowd excited and got us some momentum....we just couldn't seem to keep it.  He did miss a few throws on Saturday, although a couple of them could have been on the WR not being in the right place....not sure.   We haven't used Keaton in the run game much this year.  At this point I'd say open it up and use him a little more, he's a senior....I'm sure he wants to make any play that he can.  He has been able to break some big runs the last couple of years right up the middle.  Also I don't think I've seen the fullback get the ball recently, I'm guessing that is because Norberg is out.  We often did pretty well on that fullback plunge when they weren't expecting it.  

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Not getting that TD was huge, not saying we for sure win the game or something if we do but if we get a TD there........mentally I think we are feeling good and moving on from the USD game.  But after that, and then getting the field goal blocked.......that was a huge blow in momentum, especially since they came down and scored right after.  It just felt like a continuation from the USD game after we got that field goal blocked.  That one sack that we had their QB for a 7-8 yard loss and he totally got out of it and then they later scored a TD on the drive was also big.  

Yes, many things that we could look at, but IMO those were the two biggest potential game-changers:  the offensive PI call on the opening drive and the missed sack on their QB on 3rd down that would have given us the ball back after we'd just scored a TD, I believe.

1 minute ago, Big Green said:

What did Tank Harris do to get his unsportsmanlike contact penalty?  I thought it was a boneheaded play, but did not see what he did. 

He pushed the Montana player in the back that was on the pile up, they were all still standing if I recall but we had stopped them and they were blowing the play dead.  It happened probably literally right when the whistle blew....or maybe a hair afterwards...I couldn't actually hear the whistle.  I remember when I saw it Live I was like....oh crap....please don't throw a flag.  I think it was one of those things where as a defense they've been frustrated the past two weeks.....and we stopped them.....and Tank was just being a bit aggressive, he shouldn't have done it though.  That was another one of those plays that was just like.....UGH, thinking we would have held them to a field goal there instead of them getting a TD. 

I am just stopping by to say thanks to all the UND fans for how well I was treated before and after the game.

Had some great food at your tailgates. Spent three days and a couple grand in GF. Very nice facilities and looking forward to coming back this winter to see the hockey team 

at The Ralph.

Glad to come home with a win. 

Here's to UND "righting" the ship!

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, KWCAT said:

I am just stopping by to say thanks to all the UND fans for how well I was treated before and after the game.

Had some great food at your tailgates. Spent three days and a couple grand in GF. Very nice facilities and looking forward to coming back this winter to see the hockey team 

at The Ralph.

Currently, the ship is belly up. Didn't even make it out of the harbor.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, KWCAT said:

at The Ralph.

Friend of a friend was the 1996 (I think was the year) Big Sky Linebacker of the year, a Bobcat.  He didn't rub the beating in too bad.......

Injuries are definitely hurting UND, but you don't go from 9-3 to 1-10 based purely on injuries. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football; if UND fails to at least win more games than they lose, then thats a sign that Bubba's recruiting classes have been overrated (I apologize to the student-athletes of those classes, this is purely from a football standpoint). I'm doubting these recent recruiting classes at the moment - too much attrition and too much inability to execute on the field.

In all honestly, the best players on this team are Mussman recruits - Reyes, D. Harris, Stockwell, Studsrud (all of which are injured minus Studsrud).

Need better coaching/teaching and recruiting so such collapses as the one we are witnessing don't happen when injuries go against you. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Injuries are definitely hurting UND, but you don't go from 9-3 to 1-10 based purely on injuries. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football; if UND fails to at least win more games than they lose, then thats a sign that Bubba's recruiting classes have been overrated (I apologize to the student-athletes of those classes, this is purely from a football standpoint). I'm doubting these recent recruiting classes at the moment - too much attrition and too much inability to execute on the field.

In all honestly, the best players on this team are Mussman recruits - Reyes, D. Harris, Stockwell, Studsrud (all of which are injured).

Need better coaching/teaching and recruiting so such collapses as the one we are witnessing don't happen when injuries go against you. 

Weren't Harris and Studsrud Bubba recruits?  Also, Studsrud is injured now too?

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Weren't Harris and Studsrud Bubba recruits?

They were initially recruited by Mussman and his staff. Mussman was fired, Bubba was hired, and those two came to campus during Bubba's first year as HC as Bubba honored their commitments/prior recruiting. Technically, Mussman contacted them and started the process.

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In all honestly, the best players on this team are Mussman recruits - Reyes, D. Harris, Stockwell, Studsrud (all of which are injured minus Studsrud).

Santiago and Brady may have something to say about this.  Also it may be too early to really tell right now, we are kind of at that middle point where Mussman's recruits are the juniors and seniors and on the way out, and Bubba's true recruiting classes are really only red-shirt freshman and sophomores this year(except for guys like Santiago and Brady who go their shirts pulled and are juniors).  How many teams are lead by freshman and sophomores.......not many!!  I'm not 100% sure but wasn't the year that NDSU went 3-8 or something like that kind of about the same time, Bohl had been there a couple of years so his guys were freshman and sophomores and the previous coach's guys were juniors and seniors, or maybe just seniors, and then after that year they took the next leap.  Noah Larson looks like he is going to be quite the Stud, Rodgers is looking really good at ILB too.  Boltmann sure seems promising as well. Wasn't it Hero or some other site ranked UND's last recruiting class in the top 10-15 within the FCS?  Believe me I have some questions right now like we all do, but I think the jury is still out on Bubba's recruits.  

Also.....we are not 1-10 yet :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Santiago and Brady may have something to say about this.  Also it may be too early to really tell right now, we are kind of at that middle point where Mussman's recruits are the juniors and seniors and on the way out, and Bubba's true recruiting classes are really only red-shirt freshman and sophomores this year(except for guys like Santiago and Brady who go their shirts pulled and are juniors).  How many teams are lead by freshman and sophomores.......not many!!  I'm not 100% sure but wasn't the year that NDSU went 3-8 or something like that kind of about the same time, Bohl had been there a couple of years so his guys were freshman and sophomores and the previous coach's guys were juniors and seniors, or maybe just seniors, and then after that year they took the next leap.  Noah Larson looks like he is going to be quite the Stud, Rodgers is looking really good at ILB too.  Boltmann sure seems promising as well. Wasn't it Hero or some other site ranked UND's last recruiting class in the top 10-15 within the FCS?  Believe me I have some questions right now like we all do, but I think the jury is still out on Bubba's recruits.  

Also.....we are not 1-10 yet :) 

Offensive Linenan Offensive Linenan Offensive Linenan

There so Iinportant  you have to say it 3 tines