SiouxSports.com Forum

I still have a bit of fight in me

SiouxUSAF

I've fought for my country. That is worthless, if you don't stand up against what is going on in this town right now. Rebel. (REMOVED) do something, the majority of us know this isn't right. Ralph is rolling over in his grave as we sit here and accept it. I'm begging anyone in Grand forks to protest, let's set it up. I'm sure I can find students.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, SiouxUSAF said:

I've fought for my country. That is worthless, if you don't stand up against what is going on in this town right now. Rebel. (REMOVED) do something, the majority of us know this isn't right. Ralph is rolling over in his grave as we sit here and accept it. I'm begging anyone in Grand forks to protest, let's set it up. I'm sure I can find students.

Thank you for your service. But unfortunately its over. It was over when Standing Rock said no due to the settlement agreement agreed upon by the NCAA and ND AG Wayne Stenehjem.  The name has been retired for 5 years now, and isn't coming back. Protests aren't going to bring it back. The road to the Sioux nickname and logo is closed, the school has a nickname and logo that is compliant with the NCAA and thats the way its gonna be.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, SiouxUSAF said:

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

1st world problems.  I suggest channeling your energy towards something that actually matters.

Sounds like he has. Thank you for your service SiouxUSAF.

Regardless, at this hour this fight has been long over.  The Sioux jersey has been retired and will be known as one of the greatest and most feared logos in the history of athletics by anyone being honest with themselves. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Sounds like he has. Thank you for your service SiouxUSAF.

I wasn't referring to his military service, but you knew that.  I've edited my prior post so as not to be misinterpreted, intentionally or otherwise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, SiouxUSAF said:

Its just a name. Call them whatever you want and move on.

• Upvote 2

I am more referring to the Fighting Hawk logo/nickname being plastered up all over the place. There has to be a way to push back against it and it seems like everyone has just quit. The process for selecting it was unjust and people need to push back against it. 

• Upvote 1

The president of UND has the authority to pick a nickname and a logo. 

Kelley used his authority to do committee after committee and ended up with something some don't like. 
Schafer used his authority to make a decision and ended up with something some don't like. 

Moral of the story: Not everyone will be happy with any process or any decision. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The president of UND has the authority to pick a nickname and a logo. 

Kelley used his authority to do committee after committee and ended up with something some don't like. 
Schafer used his authority to make a decision and ended up with something some don't like. 

Moral of the story: Not everyone will be happy with any process or any decision. 

Agreed!

I do think part of what Kelley did to make people upset was implement a committee and a vote, but then take the most popular option off of the table. Now, I understand why he did not want the "no nickname" option, but I do think that move upset a lot of people. Also seemed like the committee weeded out a lot of legitimate options early on.

Ex. I thought Nokota (Nokes) was a decent option and could have had a cool logo. Committee nixed that because it sounded Indian and was too closely spelled to an Indian tribe, when it is in fact the state horse. If that is the case we should probably eliminate "Dakota" from all official school language too. There were a few other decent options as well.

End of the day, at least we are not SUNDOGS!!

• Upvote 3

I don't wear my Sioux stuff as a protest,  but rather because it's functional,  different shirts/coats for different weather,  etc. I'm not going to trashcan it and buy new until it's worn out, and I'm likely to wear out before it does

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SiouxUSAF said:

I am more referring to the Fighting Hawk logo/nickname being plastered up all over the place. There has to be a way to push back against it and it seems like everyone has just quit. The process for selecting it was unjust and people need to push back against it. 

I get your passion.  I was there with you.  But when it came to a point where keeping the name was going to hurt UND athletics (not hosting playoff games, conference affiliation, non conference teams not scheduling us, etc) then I accepted reality and had no other choice but to get on board with UND dropping the Fighting Sioux name.   Yes, the nickname process for selecting a new one was a gong show.  But it is what it is.  And I am glad it is over.  The Fighting Hawks is our name and the logo is here to stay.  If you don't like it, that's fine.  You have the right to your opinion.  But just be prepared to get used to it if you live in Grand Forks.  The Fighting Hawks name and logo are the official name and symbol of UND. And they should not be afraid to use it.  And you don't need to be afraid to accept it.                                                                                                         

You know, there are a lot of valuable perspectives on here. I am from MN and love North Dakota because I see people as more self reliant here. Obviously, I am not going to start the brushfire that I wanted to with my drunken post, but the passion lives on. I will never accept the Fighting Hawk thing. Ever.

Perhaps, the best way is to follow my own pathway of rejecting it, which is sitting and hanging the Sioux logo even at sports that I don't like. Freedom of speech can do a hell of thing for the future. 

It would be interesting how/ if Trump or Sessions would have responded ? The times sure are a changing - PC is not as strong but it would take deep pockets like the Engelstad family to really want it

8 hours ago, Fetch said:

It would be interesting how/ if Trump or Sessions would have responded ? The times sure are a changing - PC is not as strong but it would take deep pockets like the Engelstad family to really want it

That's a pretty good point too. I don't think they are sitting here and embracing it. I'd bet in theory, if someone riled some students up, it'd give the Engelstads more ammo to push back. The University is doing total damage control right now with their concerns about funding, it'd be beautiful to kick them when they're down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, SiouxUSAF said:

That's a pretty good point too. I don't think they are sitting here and embracing it. I'd bet in theory, if someone riled some students up, it'd give the Engelstads more ammo to push back. The University is doing total damage control right now with their concerns about funding, it'd be beautiful to kick them when they're down. 

It would be beautiful to support the athletes on the field and the school as a whole. If you don't like the school just because of a name then support a different school/team. The University of North Dakota is a beautiful school with a lot of good programs, its only gotten better from the days of the Nodaks/Flickertails to present day. Having the Sioux name retired doesn't change anything from that. Our teams are still winning titles, the graduation rate is still very high and nowhere near the problems Alcorn State has with grades. If you are that gung ho on getting the Sioux name back drive out to Ft. Yates, ND and talk to the Standing Rock Sioux tribal council and demand they give permission for UND to use the name and logo because without their support the issue is as dead as it was in 2010 (original settlement date), and 2012 (retired after the nickname state law was repealed). Go to the games, yell go Sioux if you wish, you are not required to buy any Hawk gear, and cheer UND to victory. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2017 at 12:48 PM, SiouxUSAF said:

Yes, the fighting hawks agenda. How dare they promote such a filthy lifestyle. It’s an abomination.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 3:50 AM, SiouxUSAF said:

He saw a wrong and tried to right it.