SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Yep thats pretty much the same.  Guess what Genius when was the last time more than one Big Sky team got in the Big Dance??? When was the last time only one Big Ten team got into the Big Dance.... The Silence is deafening and your point is bogus nonsense.  

You compared him to Tom Izzo, not us.  

I quit.  He is doing a good job and nboody else could do what he is doing at UND.  Time for an extension.  

You compared him to Tom Izzo, not us.

I quit. He is doing a good job and nboody else could do what he is doing at UND. Time for an extension.

Yep it's like talking to a wall. Have to learn to stop and walk away. Keep Jones!! CIT or bust!!!

Big Sky Head Coaches more likely to get canned than get HC at higher level.  Really do not see Jones losing job as UND is first and foremost by an extremely wide margin a Hockey School. Mens BB is pretty much an after thought.  Run a clean program, be competitive and have the lowest paid Head Coach and the status quo will more than suffice.

I would imagine you could say the same thing about coaches in any conference. But moving up is quite possible, as shown by Tad Boyle and Wayne Tinkle in recent years. Boyle managed to parlay one good season at UNC after three or four mediocre ones into the head coaching job at Colorado.

I also don't believe having a low-paid men's basketball coach is something that will persist much longer. It's simply been a function of Jones having been hired with no head coaching experience at a then-dII school, and not having won at a high enough rate to earn a big raise, whether at UND or elsewhere. Either Jones will show in the next year or two that he's worth the $150k-plus that other coaches at regional peer programs get, or else the next guy will get that kind of salary. 

Great Job last night. First 2 seasons in Big Sky UND was near the top of the league. His first 2 years in Big Sky Jones has 3rd best league record. Which is outstanding given that UND is located in the coldest climate in Big Sky and low level of D1 in state talent.  The 3rd best Big Ten record the last 2 seasons is held by Mich. St.  You do not see any morons calling for Izzo to be canned.  UND like the vast majority of  teams will go through rebuilding years ...that is the way things are and to suggest a coaches be fired for that is objectively ludicrous  and there is no AD  in the country which ascribes to such lame thinking.  There are always a handful of trolls and or low IQ jerks complaining about a team not the best year in and year out.   UND has no  objective  advantage over the majority of other Big Sky teams that would warrant the high level of league success they have obtained under Jones . 

....whoa whoa whoah.  Did you just use Tom Izzo as a reference to Brian Jones and his success as a coach?  No you didn't, no way. 

I have been on both sides of the fence with Jones and company depending on the game and situation.  You have to break Jones's tenure down by the process UND had gone thru.  It's hard to look at the first 5 years and come to any conclusion due to the transition from D2 to D1,  hardly any school has success during this time.  Then came the nickname issues and whether or not we were even going to be in a conference had some impact on recruiting .  Once the transition was over and I'd have to say our results were not that bad winning back to back GWC titles and placing 3rd and 2nd our first 2 years in the Big Sky is nothing to frown about.  Last year I really believe we could have been dancing had we had a healthy Webb, Schuler, Nash and Brekke.  Last years seniors did more than what was expected of them and not for injuries and lost years that team would have won so many more games.  Now we start a new era this year with so many new faces and the ups and downs are evident.  UND will always have these types of years cause we will never be able to re-load like a Duke, Kentucky etc.  I believe next year we will be at a place we were 2 years ago competing for a shot at the NCAA and the year following will be similar to last year with a very experienced well balance team.  I don't always agree with Jones but at the same time he has had descent results in the last 4 years, maybe not so much in wins and losses due to all the injuries but tournament results.  I still wonder what could have been with a healthy Brekke, Schuler and Webb for the past 2 years.

I have been on both sides of the fence with Jones and company depending on the game and situation.  You have to break Jones's tenure down by the process UND had gone thru.  It's hard to look at the first 5 years and come to any conclusion due to the transition from D2 to D1,  hardly any school has success during this time.  Then came the nickname issues and whether or not we were even going to be in a conference had some impact on recruiting .  Once the transition was over and I'd have to say our results were not that bad winning back to back GWC titles and placing 3rd and 2nd our first 2 years in the Big Sky is nothing to frown about.  Last year I really believe we could have been dancing had we had a healthy Webb, Schuler, Nash and Brekke.  Last years seniors did more than what was expected of them and not for injuries and lost years that team would have won so many more games.  Now we start a new era this year with so many new faces and the ups and downs are evident.  UND will always have these types of years cause we will never be able to re-load like a Duke, Kentucky etc.  I believe next year we will be at a place we were 2 years ago competing for a shot at the NCAA and the year following will be similar to last year with a very experienced well balance team.  I don't always agree with Jones but at the same time he has had descent results in the last 4 years, maybe not so much in wins and losses due to all the injuries but tournament results.  I still wonder what could have been with a healthy Brekke, Schuler and Webb for the past 2 years.

I agree with a lot of this post.  I'm definitely not a Jones supporter but I do believe the next two years will determine his fate as UND's head coach.  We have some nice pieces in place with Hooker and Shanks.  Add in Crandall, Seales, and even potentially Cashmen and that's a pretty good corp, especially for Big Sky play.  It would be nice to start to get a signature win or two out of conference, but that will be the exception, not the norm.  I do expect that we are at least competitive out of conference and not losing to schools like NDSU by 30+ points, but I do realize wins against big schools won't happen on a regular basis.  I do think we have a realistic shot at making the dance in the next year or two.  If we don't, then I will say it's time to look elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, hardly any school.....except NDSU.

Amazing how this blew up into a fire Jones thread again. Sioux2013, you had too much logic in your post! This year, I have questioned his decisions more than ever. But, Jones is not being fired this year! Next year will be his make or break year. With the players that will be on the floor, winning the BSC should be the goal. If they are not competing for it, unless injuries occur, then we will have reason to call for his release.

You realize he has been coaching here for 9 years, right?  Some of us have followed the program closely for more than 20 years and it has not gotten any better in the last 9 years, ... 

For those of us who don't follow MBB closely, can someone compare Jones' nine years and the prior nine years? Yes, different times and circumstances, but I'd like to see the records and performance that predecessor put forth and compare them. 

Amazing how this blew up into a fire Jones thread again. Sioux2013, you had too much logic in your post! This year, I have questioned his decisions more than ever. But, Jones is not being fired this year! Next year will be his make or break year. With the players that will be on the floor, winning the BSC should be the goal. If they are not competing for it, unless injuries occur, then we will have reason to call for his release.

Shouldn't the goal last year was win the BSC, and go dancing not get beat by a DI transfer team in the CIT. Isn't everyone tired of the excuses? Transistion, injuries, nickname. It got old watching the football team destruct year after year until Bubba came now everyone is excited for game 1, I can't say too many people were that excited for game 1 of another Jones season.

I would imagine you could say the same thing about coaches in any conference. But moving up is quite possible, as shown by Tad Boyle and Wayne Tinkle in recent years. Boyle managed to parlay one good season at UNC after three or four mediocre ones into the head coaching job at Colorado.

I also don't believe having a low-paid men's basketball coach is something that will persist much longer. It's simply been a function of Jones having been hired with no head coaching experience at a then-dII school, and not having won at a high enough rate to earn a big raise, whether at UND or elsewhere. Either Jones will show in the next year or two that he's worth the $150k-plus that other coaches at regional peer programs get, or else the next guy will get that kind of salary.   Same thing can be said about any Low D1 conference....  IJones is the lowest paid HC. Mens BBALL  in the Big Sky.  His staff is probably at the bottom also and looking for better paying gigs.  My understanding is that UND has told Jones that his low pay is a function of budget consistraints and that an extra measure of job security is afforded to him in lieu of $$$....  Jones picked up a 3 year extension in 2013 after a career conference coaching record of 36-43.  The AD knows that UND has been very competitive in the Big Sky ,and since mens BB is a lower profile sport at UND  Jones provides a competitive team at a bargain price.   Jones is nowhere close to being fired.  If the team is mid pack Big Sky next season Jones will get another extension . 

For those of us who don't follow MBB closely, can someone compare Jones' nine years and the prior nine years? Yes, different times and circumstances, but I'd like to see the records and performance that predecessor put forth and compare them. 

Just in terms of winning percentage:

.609--last nine years under Glas

.468--first (almost) nine years under Jones

And for the record, I don't dispute that this is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

The last time UND men's basketball won a regular season conference title was 1995.  Yep, that is 20 years ago.  Glas did take a couple teams to the playoffs in the early 200's with Beasley and company.  But men's basketball really has not been relevant since the early 90's.  So comparing Jones 9 years to the previous 9 years are more than likely going to give you similar numbers.  Not looking at the numbers, but I would probably saw Glas had a better record.  Of course that is kind of irrelevant based on the competition both teams played.

The last time UND men's basketball won a regular season conference title was 1995. Yep, that is 20 years ago. Glas did take a couple teams to the playoffs in the early 200's with Beasley and company. But men's basketball really has not been relevant since the early 90's. So comparing Jones 9 years to the previous 9 years are more than likely going to give you similar numbers. Not looking at the numbers, but I would probably saw Glas had a better record. Of course that is kind of irrelevant based on the competition both teams played.

True I mean Jones is losing to teams like Omaha, SDSU and NDSU while Glas lost to teams like..oh wait never mind.

The last time UND men's basketball won a regular season conference title was 1995.  Yep, that is 20 years ago.  Glas did take a couple teams to the playoffs in the early 200's with Beasley and company.  But men's basketball really has not been relevant since the early 90's.  So comparing Jones 9 years to the previous 9 years are more than likely going to give you similar numbers.  Not looking at the numbers, but I would probably saw Glas had a better record.  Of course that is kind of irrelevant based on the competition both teams played.

Doesn't the recruiting/athlete talent level adjust accordingly, though?

Doesn't the recruiting/athlete talent level adjust accordingly, though?

Yes and no. It does when playing conference games and other non-con games in our own footprint, so to speak. But it gets

skewed somewhat now, I believe, in that our non-con games now include teams like Wisco, Kansas, Utah, Marquette, etc. Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, though.

Shouldn't the goal last year was win the BSC, and go dancing not get beat by a DI transfer team in the CIT. Isn't everyone tired of the excuses? Transistion, injuries, nickname. It got old watching the football team destruct year after year until Bubba came now everyone is excited for game 1, I can't say too many people were that excited for game 1 of another Jones season.

Yes the goal last year was to win the BSC and once again a healthy Brekke all year and then Webb and Schuler totally out of the championship game was devastating.  I don't think all these injuries is a fault of Jones or an excuse, just a fact that when 2 or 3 of your top 6 players are out, you have a serious issue to overcome.  Then in the CIT you again had Webb, Schuler and Nash out so you can't even consider this as a major loss.  Let's see Bubba win with 1/3 of his top players out, wont happen.  A very dark black cloud hung over last years team for the entire year and it all started when Brekke could not play at all and yet they found themselves one game away from the dance.  Only Weber and Montana has done better than UND the last 2 years and they are the big names in this conference year end and year out so I'd say we've done OK our first 2 years.

Of course. The fact that they got the jump cannot be overstated. Ask USD fans.

Speaking of USD someone mentioned UND's struggles on transition and nickname, if it wasn't for the nickname UND would've entered the SL along side USD even before the BSC was calling for UND and USD to be members. USD became a member of the SL before the BSC called them up for full membership. So cross off nickname as an excuse on Jones' mediocre teams.