SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Say Jones stays.... odds on yet another restructuring of the coaching staff?

I wouldn't call it restructuring when coaches leave for other jobs.  Backfilling, maybe.  When the last assistant left for USD and Craig Smith that should have told people alot about what he thought of his future at UND.  

I wouldn't call it restructuring when coaches leave for other jobs. Backfilling, maybe. When the last assistant left for USD and Craig Smith that should have told people alot about what he thought of his future at UND.

Or he may have received a 35% pay increase.

You "rebuild" in year one and two - not year nine.  If you are having a "rebuilding" year, it means something is inherently wrong at the foundation and needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Every program has a "down" year.  In my opinion, "down" should be 5th or 6th place given the strength of the conference (yes, I know Weber finished 8th this year).  To be tied for last in the BSC is unacceptable.

Having said all that, I still maintain that the on the court coaching and wins and losses are only the start of the problem.

• Upvote 1

I was just looking at the UND basketball media guide. And it reminded me exactly how mediocre this program has been for 20 years now. As far as I'm concerned, the high-water mark was 1999-00 (Mustard, Reinke, Travis, et al. senior year), when the team finished 23-8. Good for third place in the NCC. 

You "rebuild" in year one and two - not year nine. If you are having a "rebuilding" year, it means something is inherently wrong at the foundation and needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Every program has a "down" year. In my opinion, "down" should be 5th or 6th place given the strength of the conference (yes, I know Weber finished 8th this year). To be tied for last in the BSC is unacceptable.

Having said all that, I still maintain that the on the court coaching and wins and losses are only the start of the problem.

Care to elaborate on the last paragraph?

Team GPA being worst on campus, which tells me somebody could be in trouble next fall with GPA. That Adidas isn't good enough for them but is for the rest of UND's teams. Couple small ones.

Feel free to look back at my posts over the course of the last month or 2.  I haven't been shy about discussing the "little things" that matter a lot in the big scheme.

That should give you a better idea of what I'm referring to.....since you're asking.

Feel free to look back at my posts over the course of the last month or 2. I haven't been shy about discussing the "little things" that matter a lot in the big scheme.

That should give you a better idea of what I'm referring to.....since you're asking.

Wow. Another part of the world with basketball venom. Never knew it existed. Nike/Adidas thing seems a little overblown I guess. I think if you were to ask most players what they preferred for shoes, most would say Nike. Adidas has taken strides recently with lighter shoes though.

If grades are an issue - that's a big deal though.

I think most people's fear is that Jones is retained, improves enough next year to approach .500, and then stays at that level for another year or two, just like during Huff and company's career. Yes, next year's talent level should be a bit better, but I think it comes down to this--if you're Faison, how confident are you that Jones is at least close to being as capable as the average opposing coach? Sadly, after watching him for nine years, I'm not confident at all.

Ditto.

Not making the move to remove Jones puts UND in at least another season of losing basketball, if not more. UND won't be winning the BSC tournament anytime soon; just don't see next years team or the one after that - with Hooker as a senior - being able to go over 0.500.

This is exactly the fear. of course the team will be better next year..... how could it get any worse?!?!?! So does Faison then look at the "improvement", and extend him again? This is the problem with the wait and see attitude. It's a never ending cycle of mediocrity. It's why the big time programs with enough money to buyout contracts never allow it to get to this point.

We all know what he will do with this alleged talent coming in = nothing. They will go as far as their raw talent will take them.

I was shocked when Jones was given his current contract. It was a ridiculous move on Faison's part, as I can't imagine there was a single school in the country seeking to steal Jones away from us at the time. And right now, you couldn't give him away for a pair of Adidas shoes.

Again, spot on. The lack of guts by Faison may hurt UND MBB long term.

I hope the players exceed expectations next season, but I don't think the team will be much more than 0.500. Then what? Will the team improve down the road. Jones hasn't shown the ability to provide that. Mediocrity is unfortunately okay by the UND athletic department....

I was just looking at the UND basketball media guide. And it reminded me exactly how mediocre this program has been for 20 years now. As far as I'm concerned, the high-water mark was 1999-00 (Mustard, Reinke, Travis, et al. senior year), when the team finished 23-8. Good for third place in the NCC.

I started paying attention to UND basketball probably about 18 years ago, and I must confess that this is why I cringe when people suggest bringing back Glas. I don't recall that much success with him at the helm, but my memory may be cloudy.

The Jacks have won 22 games so far with their 2 transfers, and yet Jones couldn't even win 10 with his transfers? Last year the Jacks won 19 and before that was 25. Let me know when Jones hits 20.

darell, darell, darell...give Jones three more years and he'll no doubt get to that 20 win benchmark that you want to see!

7 wins in 2015-16 plus another 9 in 2016-17...he'd just need 4 more in 2017-18 and BOOM! 20 wins!

darell, darell, darell...give Jones three more years and he'll no doubt get to that 20 win benchmark that you want to see!

7 wins in 2015-16 plus another 9 in 2016-17...he'd just need 4 more in 2017-18 and BOOM! 20 wins!

You are asking a lot from Jones in the 2016-17 season.

"So you're saying there's a chance......."

A quote from the Forum article about the Bison playing for the Summit championship and the possibility of going to the Dance again this year:

"The defending champion Bison lost six seniors from last year’s team, yet found a way to get back to the title game this season with virtually an entirely new roster and coaching staff."

And some on this board feel that our level of mediocrity (or worse) should continue another couple of years - to be fair with Coach Jones!  Unreal! 

Some people don't like to compare us with NDSU. I guess they feel NDSU is on a different level.

Wow. Another part of the world with basketball venom. Never knew it existed. Nike/Adidas thing seems a little overblown I guess. I think if you were to ask most players what they preferred for shoes, most would say Nike. Adidas has taken strides recently with lighter shoes though.

If grades are an issue - that's a big deal though.

That's what you pulled from everything?  I  see you decided not to read anything else I have said about the shortcomings, but hey whatever floats your boat, Art.

Nixing the Adidas deal is way down the list for me, but it is a cherry on top that pretty much encompasses the entire situation and the overall attitude of the head coach in general.

Blown out of proportion? Nobody is blowing it out of proportion - it is what it is.  There is/was a departmental deal in place spanning multiple sports.  You are clearly missing the prinicipal point here on this:  What has Jones done to earn that type of sway?  Is he going to foot the bill for the monetary difference between a Nike and Adidas deal?  I'm told (from a very good source) the Adidas deal is substantially better than anything Nike is willing to do for any sport. 

If I'm the Athletic Director in that situation, and everyone else is on board, I tell Jones to get in line and be a team player because it's the best deal for the UND Athletic Department.  But maybe I'm being too unrealistic. :silly:

Hey, I like Nikes better than Adidas too, as does the majority of the population, but that's not the point.

That's what you pulled from everything? I see you decided not to read anything else I have said about the shortcomings, but hey whatever floats your boat, Art.

Nixing the Adidas deal is way down the list for me, but it is a cherry on top that pretty much encompasses the entire situation and the overall attitude of the head coach in general.

Blown out of proportion? Nobody is blowing it out of proportion - it is what it is. There is/was a departmental deal in place spanning multiple sports. You are clearly missing the prinicipal point here on this: What has Jones done to earn that type of sway? Is he going to foot the bill for the monetary difference between a Nike and Adidas deal? I'm told (from a very good source) the Adidas deal is substantially better than anything Nike is willing to do for any sport.

If I'm the Athletic Director in that situation, and everyone else is on board, I tell Jones to get in line and be a team player because it's the best deal for the UND Athletic Department. But maybe I'm being too unrealistic. :silly:

Hey, I like Nikes better than Adidas too, as does the majority of the population, but that's not the point.

Whoa, whoa. Hold on a second. Wasn't being critical of your posts. Took a general look at some discussion. Not smart enough to look at your posts specifically on my phone. Just saw some shots taken at players and labeled it "venom". My bad.

A quote from the Forum article about the Bison playing for the Summit championship and the possibility of going to the Dance again this year:

"The defending champion Bison lost six seniors from last year’s team, yet found a way to get back to the title game this season with virtually an entirely new roster and coaching staff."

And some on this board feel that our level of mediocrity (or worse) should continue another couple of years - to be fair with Coach Jones! Unreal!

Nothing to see here, UND Fan, move along. Just enjoy the NDSU/SDSU game tonight on ESPN2 and keep telling yourself that UND is the far better program as opposed to NDSU in the "Slummit." The Bison gained no statewide or nationwide exposure in last year's national TV 12 vs 5 upset of Oklahoma. Why worry about that happening again this year?

BF and BJ...Oxbow6 and I are looking for a place to watch the big game tonight. Maybe it can be shown live at The Ralph?