SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

You called him out for where he thought they'd finish in the conference next year and now we're talking about something else. Move those goalposts! I didn't hear his comments nor did you, so I don't know what context they were brought up in. As for a one year change, Brewster went from 10th to 1st, but I guess that is pretty inconvenient to mention, especially for a guy who continues to compare MBB and WBB for some reason.

You accusing people of loving Jones just because you get called out on your ridiculous statements is pretty predictable. Anytime someone doesn't immediately demand Jones be fired, without fail, one of the following will be coming next:

Telling someone they love Jones

Calling someone Mrs. Jones

Jones autographed poster

CIT or bust

buttBrewster or UND WBB

buttNDSU

This post is straight up dominant.

Talk about a loaded question.

Do I believe the Jones was on the radio this morning, said that he thought they have been in the majority of the games this year and predicted them to finish near the top of the conference next year. Yes.

I think with him saying that he must know next season is a make or break year and he will be done if they don't impress everyone and everyone I mean Faison, and the fans. It's kinda like what Muss tried to do in 2013, only to fail. If Jones is back next year I hope he proves me and others wrong and do finish towards the top and end the year with a dance trip. At least make it an impressive season (OOC wins, a signature win, beat both the Griz and Weber St.)

I think with him saying that he must know next season is a make or break year and he will be done if they don't impress everyone and everyone I mean Faison, and the fans. It's kinda like what Muss tried to do in 2013, only to fail. If Jones is back next year I hope he proves me and others wrong and do finish towards the top and end the year with a dance trip. At least make it an impressive season (OOC wins, a signature win, beat both the Griz and Weber St.)

Looks like you would then get your wish... 'cause 3rd, 2nd, then 10th to the top over the next 2 years and a trip to the dance would probably get Jones an offer to a higher school.

A disclaimer - not a Jones fan, but willing to look at the bb record objectively

Here is UND's recruiting over the past four years (per wiki):

2011 Signees (THREE high school)

SG Lenny Antwi (comes of bench)

SF Josh Gentry (transferred out)

SG Shane Benton (doesn't play)

2012 Signees (FOUR transfers and ONE high school)

C Ryan Salmonson (Cosumnes River CC) (doesn't play)

PF Alonzo Traylor (Iowa Western JC) (started-done now)

F Jaron Nash (Texas Tech) (starts)

G Dustin Hobaugh (Houston Baptist) (comes off bench)

G Thomas Blake (walk-on-doesn't play)

2013 Signees (ONE high school and ONE transfer)

C Chad Calcaretta (Western Nebraska CC) - (Doesn't play)

SG Quinton Hooker (star of the team)

2014 Signees (FOUR transfers and FOUR high school)

C Bryce Cashman (comes off bench)

SF Josiah Coleman (Iowa Western JC) (comes off bench)

PG Geno Crandall (redshirt)

SG Terrel de Rouen (New Mexico State) (starts)

G Estan Tyler (UMKC) (starts)

C Carson Shanks (Utah St) (starts)

F Kraig Shields (comes off bench)

F James Richman (redshirt)

In the last four years of recruiting, Jones has taken in 9 transfers and 9 high school kids, one of which has left already.  The results we are seeing this year should not be surprising to anybody.  Once Huff and the boys were done, there was mostly a hodge podge of quick-fixes left.  Hooker, Shanks and maybe Cashman/Shields are all they have to truly build around right now on a 15 man roster.  

I have heard some saying that Jones is a good recruiter but what I see above does not prove that.  IMO, it shows he didn't want to "rebuild", as many are trying to sell on here.  He wanted to take the easy route and hope that experienced transfers would fill the void.  How a coach can only sign one high school kid in two full recruiting classes (2012-2013) is somewhat alarming.  

(If I missed anyone let me know).

• Upvote 2

And what if it's a 2nd place finish without a trip to the dance, OOC wins, a signature win, beating both the Griz and Weber state?  Is that a failure in your eyes? 

You called him out for where he thought they'd finish in the conference next year and now we're talking about something else. Move those goalposts!  I didn't hear his comments nor did you, so I don't know what context they were brought up in.  As for a one year change, Brewster went from 10th to 1st, but I guess that is pretty inconvenient to mention, especially for a guy who continues to compare MBB and WBB for some reason.

You accusing people of loving Jones just because you get called out on your ridiculous statements is pretty predictable.  Anytime someone doesn't immediately demand Jones be fired, without fail, one of the following will be coming next:

Telling someone they love Jones

Calling someone Mrs. Jones

Jones autographed poster

CIT or bust

buttBrewster or UND WBB

buttNDSU

Darrell1976 is simply telling the truth.  Unfortunately, a lot of people on this forum are enjoying their green kool-aid too much to realize it.  If Jones does indeed turn it around next year, I will give him all the props he deserves.  But I have serious doubts it will happen.  He has been in Grand Forks for 9 years and some people talk like nothing that happens with the program is on him.  Well, when you are the CEO, the buck stops with you.  If he finishes out his current contract and nothing has changed, it will be time for a change.  If the team tanks it big time next year, it might be time to look for buyout money because the longer this program is mediocre, the harder it will be to turn it around.

• Upvote 1

Darrell1976 is simply telling the truth.  Unfortunately, a lot of people on this forum are enjoying their green kool-aid too much to realize it. 

Which part is he telling the truth about?  I must have missed that.  And using the same predictable childish lines as a defense against anyone who disagrees with him has become a pretty good running joke for quite a few people, though unintentional on his part.

If he finishes out his current contract and nothing has changed, it will be time for a change.  If the team tanks it big time next year, it might be time to look for buyout money because the longer this program is mediocre, the harder it will be to turn it around.

I'm not even sure he will get a chance to finish out his current contract and I'd be fine with that.  Honestly, I actually would be surprised if he coached the final year of his contract because it would be pretty much impossible to do any recruiting and he hasn't done anything to warrant an extension to this point.  That's why I (and others) have said that next year is make or break for him.

Here is UND's recruiting over the past four years (per wiki):

2011 Signees (THREE high school)

SG Lenny Antwi (comes of bench)

SF Josh Gentry (transferred out)

SG Shane Benton (doesn't play)

2012 Signees (FOUR transfers and ONE high school)

C Ryan Salmonson (Cosumnes River CC) (doesn't play)

PF Alonzo Traylor (Iowa Western JC) (started-done now)

F Jaron Nash (Texas Tech) (starts)

G Dustin Hobaugh (Houston Baptist) (comes off bench)

G Thomas Blake (walk-on-doesn't play)

2013 Signees (ONE high school and ONE transfer)

C Chad Calcaretta (Western Nebraska CC) - (Doesn't play)

SG Quinton Hooker (star of the team)

2014 Signees (FOUR transfers and FOUR high school)

C Bryce Cashman (comes off bench)

SF Josiah Coleman (Iowa Western JC) (comes off bench)

PG Geno Crandall (redshirt)

SG Terrel de Rouen (New Mexico State) (starts)

G Estan Tyler (UMKC) (starts)

C Carson Shanks (Utah St) (starts)

F Kraig Shields (comes off bench)

F James Richman (redshirt)

In the last four years of recruiting, Jones has taken in 9 transfers and 9 high school kids, one of which has left already.  The results we are seeing this year should not be surprising to anybody.  Once Huff and the boys were done, there was mostly a hodge podge of quick-fixes left.  Hooker, Shanks and maybe Cashman/Shields are all they have to truly build around right now on a 15 man roster.  

I have heard some saying that Jones is a good recruiter but what I see above does not prove that.  IMO, it shows he didn't want to "rebuild", as many are trying to sell on here.  He wanted to take the easy route and hope that experienced transfers would fill the void.  How a coach can only sign one high school kid in two full recruiting classes (2012-2013) is somewhat alarming.  

(If I missed anyone let me know).

I think Geno will be a nice piece when he plays, and Seales looked like the real deal, he could have a immediate impact as a freshman.  If we are talking strictly high school, then overall Jones has done nicely, he gotten some pretty good players from the high school ranks.

Transfer wise..... not so much.  Nash was a hit, Hobaugh was a nice surprise, Tyler has been solid.... but then we have the others who either have been too inconsistent, frustrating, can't stay on the court due to health, grades, etc. 

His biggest misses was on Salmonson and Calcaterra, and it hurt us when it mattered (the Weber game in the championship, guess who killed us... their big Center dropped 27 on us.)

Which part is he telling the truth about?  I must have missed that.  And using the same predictable childish lines as a defense against anyone who disagrees with him has become a pretty good running joke for quite a few people, though unintentional on his part.

I'm not even sure he will get a chance to finish out his current contract and I'd be fine with that.  Honestly, I actually would be surprised if he coached the final year of his contract because it would be pretty much impossible to do any recruiting and he hasn't done anything to warrant an extension to this point.  That's why I (and others) have said that next year is make or break for him.

:whistling:

His biggest misses was on Salmonson and Calcaterra, and it hurt us when it mattered (the Weber game in the championship, guess who killed us... their big Center dropped 27 on us.)

If Brekke doesn't get hurt, I'm not sure Calcaterra ever comes to UND.  Tough to get a big with talent at this level, high school or JuCo, but both of those appear to be misses.  I applaud their effort but the production side of it just never seemed to click.

If Brekke doesn't get hurt, I'm not sure Calcaterra ever comes to UND.  Tough to get a big with talent at this level, high school or JuCo, but both of those appear to be misses.  I applaud their effort but the production side of it just never seemed to click.

Guess we will never know.

Just thinking, what if everything that went wrong those last 2 years went right...

I think Geno will be a nice piece when he plays, and Seales looked like the real deal, he could have a immediate impact as a freshman.  If we are talking strictly high school, then overall Jones has done nicely, he gotten some pretty good players from the high school ranks.

How can you say the high school recruiting has gone nicely, they only have four that play significant minutes on the entire team?  He basically ignored high school kids for two full years and completely flopped in another year (2011). 

The weird thing is that Jones actually did a pretty good job of finding bigs early on when it should have been more difficult due to the transition (Mitchell, Wilmer, Brekke), but he really struggled to find replacements for those guys when UND was coming out of the transition and it should have been easier to recruit.

How can you say the high school recruiting has gone nicely, they only have four that play significant minutes on the entire team?  He basically ignored high school kids for two full years and completely flopped in another year (2011). 

Im also including the Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler, Brekke, etc. class in there as well. Looking a little more at the body of work

His HS recruiting has gone a lot better than his transfer recruiting, which as been at best a mixed bag.

Im also including the Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler, Brekke, etc. class in there as well.

His HS recruiting has gone a lot better than his transfer recruiting, which as been at best a mixed bag.

I was speaking to my previous post, which laid out the past four years or the current team.  We know Huff, etc. did well but they were signed 5 years ago and are gone.  Looking at what UND did after they signed that class is as important as looking at just that class.  

I was speaking to my previous post, which laid out the past four years or the current team.  We know Huff, etc. did well but they were signed 5 years ago and are gone.  Looking at what UND did after they signed that class is as important as looking at just that class.  

It does explain the mess we are in, and I agree with that point (of the original post of the Hodge podge of transfer left over and trying to build a team around it)  The only argument I can make is that Jones wanted to win now and he thought by getting experienced transfers over HS kids would put UND over the top.  It almost worked. 

Fortunately we are going back to recruiting HS kids again and hopefully we don't have to go through a transfer heavy group of kids again. 

Im frustrated just like everyone else, even with those transfers we should be better than 8-18 and 4-11 in the conference.

It was nice to see a summary of the recruits over the years.... however.....  regardless of who stayed, who played, and how well they played....   my contention is Jones does not develop whoever the players are, to their full potential.  2011-2014 being the prime example.   Wins are gotten purely on athleticism and shooting well.  There is no discipline.    The players are not put in a position to succeed.   As has been said a million times by gfhockey- these teams just play street ball.   

How many coaches around the country could not have led last years' team to a .500 overall record?   How many coaches could not have mustered a 10th place finish in the Big Sky this year?   I guess I just don't understand the passion to hang on to mediocrity, especially 9 years into this experiment.          

• Upvote 1

Sorry Darrell, that wagon will be full.

It was nice to see a summary of the recruits over the years.... however.....  regardless of who stayed, who played, and how well they played....   my contention is Jones does not develop whoever the players are, to their full potential.  2011-2014 being the prime example.   Wins are gotten purely on athleticism and shooting well.  There is no discipline.    The players are not put in a position to succeed.   As has been said a million times by gfhockey- these teams just play street ball.   

How many coaches around the country could not have led last years' team to a .500 overall record?   How many coaches could not have mustered a 10th place finish in the Big Sky this year?   I guess I just don't understand the passion to hang on to mediocrity, especially 9 years into this experiment.          

Its hard to quantify "development" because you don't know what their ceiling is.  I would say Huff and Anderson developed pretty well.  He got every last ounce out of Wilmer.  

More for me, and maybe it ties into what you are saying, is have they ever beat a team they shouldn't have or have they ever over-achieved as a TEAM?  Who knows, just random thoughts.   :0