SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2017

UNDColorado

7 minutes ago, Feff said:

Definitely a concern but out of all areas on the team I have full confidence in the coaching it's with the linebackers. Some of these players are going from outside to inside, yes there are different coverages and reads but it's not like they are brand new to the system and calls. I think there'll be a drop from the previous two years, but some of that will be made up by the experience and skill on the defensive line. If the DL can keep the backers free, that will help the inexperience with easier reads and quicker flow. 

This could be our fastest LB group possibly ever though. That is a big plus. Little smaller sure but quick as hell and mean. Should help in pass coverage too.

"I could've stayed, but it wasn't in my heart to play linebacker," Nevermann said. "It made it hard. I was really searching my soul for a while. At the end, I had to get out of there."

This is why Oscar left Wyoming.  I hope his heart has had a change of mind.

2 hours ago, 77iceman said:

"I could've stayed, but it wasn't in my heart to play linebacker," Nevermann said. "It made it hard. I was really searching my soul for a while. At the end, I had to get out of there."

This is why Oscar left Wyoming.  I hope his heart has had a change of mind.

His best friend was also at UND for what that was worth.

32 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

True. 

I'm with you, though . . . there is a lot of speed at the linebacker positions.  They'll do great against the pass and against the smaller, shifty RB's.  Heaven help them if anyone like Norberg runs right at them:blink:

Practicing against Johanesson should help!

The two favorites to win the starting inside backer spots appear to be Jake Disterhaupt and Donnell Rodgers. The reserves will see the field plenty with the rotation so that is where the real battle is, in my opinion; look for guys like Jake Geier, Oscar Nevermann, and even upcoming true freshman Noah Larson to battle it out for those #2 reps. Rodgers and Disterhaupt both played plenty last season, although Disterhaupt was on the outside in 2016. If both guys stay healthy in 2017, #44 and #48 will both have big seasons for UND.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 77iceman said:

Heaven help them if anyone like Norberg runs right at them:blink:

I wouldn't be too worried about this; UND has been quite good against the run ever since Schmidtty got his hands on the defense in '14. The defensive line is very good and deep and having Cole Reyes as an 8th defender in the box never hurts.

One-on-one corner play is still the major area of concern despite the linebacker turnover, in my opinion. Plenty of young athletes to choose from for LB spots.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

geaux_sioux or anyone else....wondering how out TE's are looking this spring.  

I heard solid.  Interesting that with all the formations and TE flips it is a pretty tough position to grasp.  Feidler has played a lot and will be very solid.  Expect Cloyd to break out this year with a year under his belt.  The new kid coming in is suppose to be good, too, a chance, just a chance, he might play this fall, Graham Devore.  Pinke, put on some good weight, could see the field.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I heard solid.  Interesting that with all the formations and TE flips it is a pretty tough position to grasp.  Feidler has played a lot and will be very solid.  Expect Cloyd to break out this year with a year under his belt.  The new kid coming in is suppose to be good, too, a chance, just a chance, he might play this fall, Graham Devore.  Pinke, put on some good weight, could see the field.

I really feel like the TE position has been underutilized at UND.  Seems like that Studsrud could save himself from breaking the pocket and being hit by checking down to the TE's more.  I like the core of TE's we got.  Good size and all seem pretty athletic.  Definitely a position I hope Rudolph starts to use more.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I know it will be streamed Live tonight, I assume it will be posted so we can watch it later as well?  

I hope so. I can't be in Grand Forks, ... and it is Good Friday*. 

*Contrary to popular belief in some quarters, I'm not completely unholy. :D 

Ive attended two practices this year and really like the speed on D.  Disterhaupt is a tad small for ILB but he "brings" it every play and is very twitchy....great move by the staff.  Believe he will have  a great senior year.  

Haas is still on the slight side but much like disterhaupt he brings it every play.  Love the potential. His length and aggressiveness separate him.

Palmborg making the move to OLB makes the LB crew as whole extremely fast!   UND could very well have one of the fcs' fastest units.   Really young and inexperienced but very talented group.  Schmitty will have them ready! 

With connor retiring and the inexperience ....look for true fresh Noah Larson to have his shirt pulled.  I have heard nothing but great things about him.  Big solid fast and tough.  

Donnell is an extremely talented young man and is the lone LB with game time experience at that position.  My favorite player on the team.  The guy is a true football player.....he will have a big big year!! 

Im going to keep my eyes on the qbs tonight.   This position has had me the most concerned in the bubba years. Hearing good things about Zimmerman but I would love if Brad could be the guy. Time to prove yourself 

• Upvote 3