SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Portland State

hoops44

Some years ago, 54 to be exact, a young coach came out of Coe College, Iowa to take over the UND men's bb program.  His name was Bill Fitch and he soon had his team recruited and on the floor.  Headlined by Phil Jackson attendance at the old Hyslop swelled from about 2,500 to 5,000+, sometimes 6,000+.  His team's NCC record from 1964-67 was 34-2. Fitch was just the type of young coach you guys are talking about.  He eventually ended up in the NBA coaching at Cleveland, Boston and Houston and ringing up a couple of NBA championships along the way.  We would indeed be fortunate to get a young coach like him.

• Upvote 4

Hey so new transfer student just watched the last few games and had some thoughts. 

1. This team seems super streaky, like looking like they can beat UNI to getting destroyed tonight. Really weird, and really inconsistent. 

2. Seems like a huge issue that Geno has so many turnovers. He had 7 turnovers tonight and only 6 points.... That is really a red flag, when he is on he is a beast but when he is off he really hurts the team. 

3. Why doesnt Avants and Shanks play together? Avants seems super good and shanks is a good passer and had 17 against UNI. Shanks has a lot of upside when he isnt in foul trouble and Avants is probably the best player besides Hooker. Pretty confusing the way the coach plays the big men. 

3. Can someone explain what bernstein plays? I saw him air ball multiple times this season, and horrible from the line (48% on the season) Seems more like a bench guy than a starter. Seems like he can rebound and kinda play defense but kinda confused why he plays so much doesnt produce offense and it seems like the team struggles to score in the half court. 

thanks

6 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Does anyone change coaches, like at the beginning of conference play? or do we really have to wait till this season is over? 

They do in major sports. At UND it takes a while to remove a coach, usually the program is in the toilet before they get someone good to revive it. See UND football 2013.

I added this thread so it doesn't clog up game threads. So put in your two cents, your frustration on the HC whose team was picked towards the top of the BSC and is now 2-3 in conference play but more importantly....NO ROAD WINS!! If you can't win on the road you are not going to win the conference. We have seen this in the past where our team can't win on the road, this isn't the GWC we are in we are in the Big Sky, where competition is greater. I am going to say this....if UND doesn't make the dance....Fire Jones!

This was the first post in the Fire Jones thread posted on Jan 17, 2014. Seems like a parallel to what this season is looking like, what has Jones done since this post? He has not won in the CIT, he has lost twice to a team transferring to DI (UNO), he did go 6-2 and lost in the BSC championship to Weber State before losing to Omaha in the CIT, the next season 8-22 with only 6 DI wins and another loss to DI transfer Omaha at home, the year after that 17-16 with only 14 wins against DI opponents. So if you add it up 31-40 since I started that thread. Now that statement (31-40 in 2 1/2 seasons) proves "what have you done for us lately" is nothing. That is why you have other schools fans think he's a joke. Hype before the season, then nothing to show for it during. I don't think a dance trip will save his job. Especially when this team gave up more points last night than last years team did to anyone the entire season, and this team is supposed to be an improvement from last year. Its just like watching Mussman in his last year, a big dumpster fire.

• Upvote 1

It has to be NCAA tournament or bust this season for Jones. I don't know that firing a coach during the season is very productive, however if this team has another effort like last night where they look totally unprepared and not ready to play and compete then I wouldn't see making that move as counter productive either.

Just now, petey23 said:

It has to be NCAA tournament or bust this season for Jones. I don't know that firing a coach during the season is very productive, however if this team has another effort like last night where they look totally unprepared and not ready to play and compete then I wouldn't see making that move as counter productive either.

Would that even be enough despite his poor resume during his tenure? Maybe an NCAA tournament win could spark an extension, but with our RPI UND would be lucky to play in the 16 seed play in games.

The only thing that can save Jones' job right now is a Big Sky regular season championship or a tournament bid.  Anything less and you have to think his days are numbered.  Is that setting the bar too high for someone to keep their job?  Maybe for a new coach.  But for a guy that has been here this long and continues to product mediocre teams year in and year out, its time to actually accomplish something other than making a crap tournament at the end of the season because you barely made it over .500.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The only thing that can save Jones' job right now is a Big Sky regular season championship or a tournament bid.  Anything less and you have to think his days are numbered.  Is that setting the bar too high for someone to keep their job?  Maybe for a new coach.  But for a guy that has been here this long and continues to product mediocre teams year in and year out, its time to actually accomplish something other than making, (yet not winning) a crap tournament at the end of the season because you barely made it over .500.

FYP

9 hours ago, FightingHawks_88 said:

Hey so new transfer student just watched the last few games and had some thoughts. 

1. This team seems super streaky, like looking like they can beat UNI to getting destroyed tonight. Really weird, and really inconsistent. 

2. Seems like a huge issue that Geno has so many turnovers. He had 7 turnovers tonight and only 6 points.... That is really a red flag, when he is on he is a beast but when he is off he really hurts the team. 

3. Why doesnt Avants and Shanks play together? Avants seems super good and shanks is a good passer and had 17 against UNI. Shanks has a lot of upside when he isnt in foul trouble and Avants is probably the best player besides Hooker. Pretty confusing the way the coach plays the big men. 

3. Can someone explain what bernstein plays? I saw him air ball multiple times this season, and horrible from the line (48% on the season) Seems more like a bench guy than a starter. Seems like he can rebound and kinda play defense but kinda confused why he plays so much doesnt produce offense and it seems like the team struggles to score in the half court. 

thanks

Bernstein is trash and should ride the pine. Shanks is softer than Charmin. Geno is completely out of control lately. There has to be somthing up with Hooker because he is nowhere near his usual self. We have not a single player who can really stroke it. Avants is our only player who always brings it even though he's always overmatched. If we're fortunate enough to fire Jones I wouldn't mind a total overhaul of the roster. Bring in the Moorhead St coach.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bernstein is trash and should ride the pine. Shanks is softer than Charmin. Geno is completely out of control lately. There has to be somthing up with Hooker because he is nowhere near his usual self. We have not a single player who can really stroke it. Avants is our only player who always brings it even though he's always overmatched. If we're fortunate enough to fire Jones I wouldn't mind a total overhaul of the roster. Bring in the Moorhead St coach.

are you an institutionalized warden of the state???

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

IDK why I always get my hopes up for the basketball program just to have them play like trash.

Seeing what happened during the Huff era years, my hopes were gone until a change is made.   I don't care what the collateral damage may be in losing a player or 12 if Jones is let go; a new direction is all that can bring this program back to life and give fans hope and enthusiasm for UND basketball again. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

This was the first post in the Fire Jones thread posted on Jan 17, 2014. Seems like a parallel to what this season is looking like, what has Jones done since this post? He has not won in the CIT, he has lost twice to a team transferring to DI (UNO), he did go 6-2 and lost in the BSC championship to Weber State before losing to Omaha in the CIT, the next season 8-22 with only 6 DI wins and another loss to DI transfer Omaha at home, the year after that 17-16 with only 14 wins against DI opponents. So if you add it up 31-40 since I started that thread. Now that statement (31-40 in 2 1/2 seasons) proves "what have you done for us lately" is nothing. That is why you have other schools fans think he's a joke. Hype before the season, then nothing to show for it during. I don't think a dance trip will save his job. Especially when this team gave up more points last night than last years team did to anyone the entire season, and this team is supposed to be an improvement from last year. Its just like watching Mussman in his last year, a big dumpster fire.

You've been right for years, Darell.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing the same way over and over again, and expecting different results. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

You've been right for years, Darell.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing the same way over and over again, and expecting different results. 

I wish I was wrong, I want to see this program succeed. Just like I wanted the football team to succeed during the Muss years. I never want this school to go out and lose a game. It's just a shame this broken record of Jones' has to be played over and over. Either turn things around or step down. 

1 hour ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

IDK why I always get my hopes up for the basketball program just to have them play like trash.

This^^^

I was looking forward to watching the game last night and even though my ears were bleeding from the announcer not even knowing which players were which or sometimes even what team they were on, I struggled through the first half and even had my hopes up when we cut the lead to 12 and then the feed started cutting in and out and they hit a couple 3's to stretch it to 21 and I gave up.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Seeing what happened during the Huff era years, my hopes were gone until a change is made.   I don't care what the collateral damage may be in losing a player or 12 if Jones is let go; a new direction is all that can bring this program back to life and give fans hope and enthusiasm for UND basketball again. 

Does anybody really care if players off this roster leave?  Not like they are tearing it up or anything.  Or have ever tore it up in the past ten years.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Does anybody really care if players off this roster leave?  Not like they are tearing it up or anything.  Or have ever tore it up in the past ten years.

I heard that reasoning last year from someone posting on here.  Or was it the year before?  Or the year before that?   Or the year before the year before, before?   You get the idea. 

• Upvote 2