SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

7 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Red River 4 Devils Lake 1

I was at the game. DL had an edge the 1st period but it ended 0-0. RR had the edge in the 2nd period and got up 1-0. Then RR seemed to take over a little more in the 3rd. DL had plenty of chances to score still, but RR was able to capitalize on a few odd man rushes. Good to see some of the older kids step up for RR, but again I wasn't impressed with Costello. He seemed to blend in with his teammates and with DL.

DL seemed to run out of steam in the 3rd period, so I'm assuming their conditioning reps will increase after that game! Should be a decent match up next time they meet. 

RR was a better team than I was anticipating after seeing the results of the GFC vs RR game. GFC must be fantastic, I look forward to catching one of their games soon! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I was at the game. DL had an edge the 1st period but it ended 0-0. RR had the edge in the 2nd period and got up 1-0. Then RR seemed to take over a little more in the 3rd. DL had plenty of chances to score still, but RR was able to capitalize on a few odd man rushes. Good to see some of the older kids step up for RR, but again I wasn't impressed with Costello. He seemed to blend in with his teammates and with DL.

DL seemed to run out of steam in the 3rd period, so I'm assuming their conditioning reps will increase after that game! Should be a decent match up next time they meet. 

RR was a better team than I was anticipating after seeing the results of the GFC vs RR game. GFC must be fantastic, I look forward to catching one of their games soon! 

How many lines is DL running?

25 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

How many lines is DL running?

Mostly 2 but they had a solid 3rd line that had quite a bit of ice time. They didn't have a dominate line by any means, but they didn't lose much from 1 to 3. Good point, their lack of numbers may have contributed to them looking gased.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Let's remember how many overall titles GFC has!* :D

*Hint: It's more than that other high school on the south end of Grand Forks! :p

I believe that both Central and Red River Both have 18 State Titles since Red River became a school :)

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That still doesn't answer the question of who has more titles. :xmas:

Comparing titles won by GFC when RRHS was not even around yet is pretty meaningless.  Comparing them since both have been competing for Championships makes a whole lot more sense.  

Since RRHS openes in 1967,  The comparison for Championships is GFC - 18, RRHS - 17.  So Central has the edge.  But barely. :D

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

That being said, in the last 30 years, the totals are as follows:

Grand Forks Central State Hockey Championships - 5

Red River High School State Hockey Championships - 15

The term "What have you done for me lately" comes to mind!! ;)

So if they were won before 1967, they don't count? Should we forfeit them? :silly::p

The Flood of 1997 really screwed up the population patterns in Grand Forks and that hurt Central's hockey program big-time. They are now starting to get back to being consistently good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if they were won before 1967, they don't count? Should we forfeit them? :silly::p

The Flood of 1997 really screwed up the population patterns in Grand Forks and that hurt Central's hockey program big-time. They are now starting to get back to being consistently good.

That's an excuse. Plenty of Red River players (in theory) that have played at Central in the last 10+ years. It's a long list! 

7 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

That's an excuse. Plenty of Red River players (in theory) that have played at Central in the last 10+ years. It's a long list! 

No, it's a cold, hard fact. A lot of kids that used to live in the now-defunct Lincoln Park and Riverside Park neighborhoods went to GFC. But, like i said, Central is back to being good year in and year out.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No, it's a cold, hard fact. A lot of kids that used to live in the now-defunct Lincoln Park and Riverside Park neighborhoods went to GFC. But, like i said, Central is back to being good year in and year out.

They still had a team and numbers. Sounds like a talent issue too. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I wouldn't base season projections on one or two games. Things can change fast, especially with those teams that have a bunch of new players working themselves into high school hockey.

Well...the fact that BHS is by FAR the best team in the west and has gone 0-2 vs eastern teams so far...it's pretty easy to predict that the east will be stronger at the end of the year. 

Has the BHS and central game gone final yet? 

Minot lost to Roseau 6-2 in the Roseau tournament this weekend but Devils Lake has advanced to the championship by defeating lake of the woods and a Winnipeg high school team. 

Central 6 BHS 5

Red River 9 Century 1

Well...the fact that BHS is by FAR the best team in the west and has gone 0-2 vs eastern teams so far...it's pretty easy to predict that the east will be stronger at the end of the year. 

But it took 2 late goals by a Central team many have said would go undefeated to beat Bismarck.  Maybe the game the night before was an outlier for BHS, or maybe the Central game was, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

But it took 2 late goals by a Central team many have said would go undefeated to beat Bismarck.  Maybe the game the night before was an outlier for BHS, or maybe the Central game was, we'll see.

I knew this was coming. I think the BHS and central game was an outlier. But yes, "different teams match up differently to different teams." Hockey is a crazy game and all it takes is a few good bounces to swing the score and the momentum. So anyone can beat anyone truly...other than Hazen Beulah