SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

16 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Exactly

So if you look at the current roster and if you assume all players redshirted like we would want in a perfect world:

Seniors - Mussman recruits  (there are a few guys in this class like Studs and Dranka that had their shirts pulled of course because our cupboard wasn't very full, and would have normally been in the junior class)

Juniors - hodge podge, Bubba didn't take over until like December 30th for this class we had no coach for over a month, we sucked as a team and our coach was just fired.  Bubba's staff which wouldn't have been in place until sometime in January was filling out the class as best as they could and I would guess some of these guys may not have actually gotten offers from Bubba's staff a year later.  I didn't say it at the time, but there was one player in this class that I was surprised got an offer but I think they were just filling it out with what they could. He also is no longer on the team, I'm thinking he was a good kid but he was just buried in the depth chart and wasn't ever really going to see the field which I believe is why he quit (but I do not know the reason for sure).  This  validated my initial thought in being surprised he got an offer.  He got an offer because they needed warm bodies during this recruiting class. 

Sophomores - Full Bubba recruits, recruited during our 5-7 year.  So these recruits were recruited to a a team that still had a losing record, and no recent success in the FCS. Given the last few years of Mussman regime, many teams still saw North Dakota as somewhat of a doormat at this time.

Freshman -  Full Bubba recruits , recruited during our 7-4 season

Redshirt freshman - Recruited during our 9-3 season.  Hero ranked this recruiting class at #26 in the FCS, so not top 10....but not bad either.  Ott being rated the #24 overall recruit in the FCS, Noah Larson also looks to be a stud and had the size to play as a true freshman if he wasn't injured. 

To me these are the reasons why I'm not raising holy hell and saying Bubba doesn't know how to recruit.  There may be some valid concerns that have been raised, but I think it is still too early to tell, and the verdict is still out.  

That's a long, detailed analysis and I appreciate the work you did there. I agree with some of that from a recruiting standpoint, but I still think there should be more juniors and sophomores in the two-deep. The fact that those classes have been almost completely disregarded is very troublesome. 

Based on these analyses, most coaches should take 5 or more years to achieve consistent success; however, that is not the case. Most successful coaches can change the culture and implement their scheme in a way that allows for success in two to three years. Bubba did that at UND (5-7 to 7-4 to 9-3) and that was promising. However, this season of injury shows that the lapses in recruiting are problematic and it needs to be addressed. Additionally, and probably most worrisome, is that the scheme has not been adjusted to best fit the available players. It has been a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I am confident that changes and subsequent improvement can and hopefully will occur, because 2-6 is not acceptable at UND even given the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That's a long, detailed analysis and I appreciate the work you did there. I agree with some of that from a recruiting standpoint, but I still think there should be more juniors and sophomores in the two-deep. The fact that those classes have been almost completely disregarded is very troublesome. 

Based on these analyses, most coaches should take 5 or more years to achieve consistent success; however, that is not the case. Most successful coaches can change the culture and implement their scheme in a way that allows for success in two to three years. Bubba did that at UND (5-7 to 7-4 to 9-3) and that was promising. However, this season of injury shows that the lapses in recruiting are problematic and it needs to be addressed. Additionally, and probably most worrisome, is that the scheme has not been adjusted to best fit the available players. It has been a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I am confident that changes and subsequent improvement can and hopefully will occur, because 2-6 is not acceptable at UND even given the circumstances. 

I am less confident, but still hopeful, that changes will occur, mainly because we have not seen one ounce of adjustment so far this season.  I'm not sure what bolt of clarity will hit the coaches when the season is over.  

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

On the "Who's available" ftont.............this report just in: UND-FB-FAN and Irish are day to day heading into  the weekend.

If you tape me up I am still good to run the the one-yard dive, the jet sweep, and the double reverse.  :)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How is your mobility and tackling.  Probably could use you at ILB if you have a little "girth".

I've been working out at the training table. I've been specializing my training for the 1 yard run though.

• Upvote 1

The only true concern I have right now is with the coaching staff and that being Bubba and Rudy. My hope is Rudy is dismissed after this year as I believe this team will never be able to truly see it's potential with him as OC. What's concerning about it though and I don't know the answer, is how much does Bubba have to say in the offensive game plan. I know it's Bubba ball and he wants to run the ball, which is fine, but the offense having zero creativity, if running isn't working, pass to open up the run and not always the other way around. Will a new OC even matter if he's taking marching orders from Bubba?

This year though in a nutshell for me is UND's opponents doing a great job of attacking UND's weaknesses due to injuries. This is a lost year, but if even somewhat healthy at certain positions (ILB / CB), the problem isn't their. Teams are either running up the middle or passing the ball in #12's direction at will. I will have no worries about the ILB / CB position next year. Fix the offensive play calling and this team is back in the playoffs. 

We talk about lack of depth this year, which is true, but this will pay dividends starting next year. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Watching the North Carolina vs The U game and apparently the Tar Heels have something like 17 guys out for the year. The announcers were saying they’ve never seen anything remotely like it. They’re 1-7.

Not sure of the injuries but Fl State seems to be going down the same road, 2-7 after last night. I think they were ranked #2 starting the season.

1 hour ago, sprig said:

Someone tweeted Studs would be back in today. Hope he has full use of both legs, as he needs to be able to escape and run if he's going to be effective. Didn't work last week at all with one leg dragging behind him.

He isnt 100% yet.  Starting him today is repeating the same mistake that was made last weekend.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone know how Boltmann has looked? I would assume he would be our 3rd string QB next year but would be nice for him to make some noise and push Zimmerman and Ketteringham. 

I watched him play once in HS and I thought he was very good.   A handier version of Studsrud.

3 hours ago, sprig said:

Someone tweeted Studs would be back in today. Hope he has full use of both legs, as he needs to be able to escape and run if he's going to be effective. Didn't work last week at all with one leg dragging behind him.

Studs is in the lineup. He may be less than 100% but I think the coaches owe it to him to let him start the rest of the way if he's able to go. Its his last few weeks in a UND uniform. He's earned the right.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Studs is in the lineup. He may be less than 100% but I think the coaches owe it to him to let him start the rest of the way if he's able to go. Its his last few weeks in a UND uniform. He's earned the right.

Agreed, kid is tough as nails and I admire that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Agree but hope his leg is better than last week 

18 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

He better be 100%. Otherwise, they should sit him and let him really play his last two games instead of what we saw last week. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He better be 100%. Otherwise, they should sit him and let him really play his last two games instead of what we saw last week. 

At this point in the season...there are many playing at less than 100% on both sidelines...its gut- check and football pride weekend for UND and PSU.

2 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

At this point in the season...there are many playing at less than 100% on both sidelines...its gut- check and football pride weekend for UND and PSU.

Zimm looked better than him last week. We need to play to win. I'd rather have Keaton at 100% the last two games than a limping Keaton for part of the last few games. Love Keaton and his heart but we need a qb that's at 100%.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Zimm looked better than him last week. We need to play to win. I'd rather have Keaton at 100% the last two games than a limping Keaton for part of the last few games. Love Keaton and his heart but we need a qb that's at 100%.

I agree, Zimm has looked fantastic. But, I was told Studs is playing. I think as the Sr, and team captain...he wants to play and is able, he's earned the right to play. If he needs to come out like last week, Zimm is ready to roll.