SiouxSports.com Forum

World Series

darell1976

Sentimental favorites are obviously the Cubbies to get to the World Series....then it's the "Something's gotta give" Series between the Indians (1945) and the Lovable Losers (1908).  My great-grandfather grew up in Chicago and saw them win the 1908 series at the age of 23....he died at 99 without them winning another.

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Sentimental favorites are obviously the Cubbies to get to the World Series....then it's the "Something's gotta give" Series between the Indians (1945) and the Lovable Losers (1908).  My great-grandfather grew up in Chicago and saw them win the 1908 series at the age of 23....he died at 99 without them winning another.

Indians last won it in 1948 not 1945.

I lost interest with the Twins being so bad - so I quit following baseball

I can't believe these two teams in world series

I might have to watch - have no idea who's who 

Was it pitching or hitting or what ?

Or did the baseball gods just feel sorry for both ? Maybe the Twins will have a chance again in 50 or so yrs

9 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Sweep ya say eh. 

Cubbies played really well, I give that to them. Kipnis played like crap, if you are injured sit down and its next man up, its only the World Series. Indians better play better in Chicago or its over.

Success in the playoffs and the World Series has always come down to pitching.  Cubs have serious advantage in that aspect.  The Tribe have Kluber as a starter, and then Miller and Allen out of the Pen.  After that, they are pretty weak.  Having to pitch Kluber on short rest and potentially doing that twice in this series is deffinitely not ideal.  Their lack of a solid starting roatation (due to injury) and their need to over pitch their bullpen is probably the biggest factor in this series.  Cubs have 4 good starters and a deep pen, and the most intimidating closer in baseball.  Tough to argue who has the advantage here in regards to pitching.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Success in the playoffs and the World Series has always come down to pitching.  Cubs have serious advantage in that aspect.  The Tribe have Kluber as a starter, and then Miller and Allen out of the Pen.  After that, they are pretty weak.  Having to pitch Kluber on short rest and potentially doing that twice in this series is deffinitely not ideal.  Their lack of a solid starting roatation (due to injury) and their need to over pitch their bullpen is probably the biggest factor in this series.  Cubs have 4 good starters and a deep pen, and the most intimidating closer in baseball.  Tough to argue who has the advantage here in regards to pitching.

Funny, if you listen to the talking heads (the analysts, not the band), everyone has better pitching than the Cubs. Some people thought the Dodgers had better pitching than the Cubs. And now some people think the Indians have better pitching than the Cubs. The truth is, both the Cubs and the Indians have pitching and this series may very well go 6 or even 7 games.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Funny, if you listen to the talking heads (the analysts, not the band), everyone has better pitching than the Cubs. Some people thought the Dodgers had better pitching than the Cubs. And now some people think the Indians have better pitching than the Cubs. The truth is, both the Cubs and the Indians have pitching and this series may very well go 6 or even 7 games.

If the series goes 7 games, Francona said he plans on starting Kluber for 3 or them.  That shows his lack of confidence in his other starters.  I get wanting to start your ace as much as possible, but there is a reason that it doesn't happen very often.  Only 9 times has a pitcher started and won 3 games in the World Series (in a 7 game series).  And it has only happened once since 1968 (Randy Johnson, 2001).  If Francona wants Kluber to get 3 wins this World Series, history is definitely not on his side.

• Upvote 2