SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 World Cup of Hockey

Ray77

I didn't see anyone who played a decent game for USA.   It looked like they were playing an NHL all star game; half-speed no-hits; not even a stick check.    

Time for USA Hockey to start up a conversation with USA Basketball about how to re-engineer everything - they've done a great job with NBA players.   Its time to bring some pride back into playing ice hockey for United States of America.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by the result but when I saw the roster decisions along with the head coaching decision I didn't have much hope. Thank goodness most of the American young guns on the North American team will (or at least should) be on the 2018 Olympic roster. Not sure who the coach should be though.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sprig said:

Are the NA young guns picked before the country teams?  Can't believe McDavid is not on Canada's team,  not sure who he'd replace on the loaded Canadian roster,  but imo he is the best forward in this tournament. 

The Canadian and American teams weren't allowed to take any player 23 and under.

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

Phil Kessel@PKessel81 2h2 hours ago

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Part of the reason that Phil got picked last in the All Star game when they had captains picks.  Not even sure if his dog would hang around if he wasn't chained up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One word for team USA's showing in this tournament - GARBAGE.  I hate to say it, but for every 1980 Olympic team, 1996 World Cup team, 2004 or 2010 World Junior team, the USA has 20 "2016 World Cup teams".  Also, I wish that I was posting out here today to eat crow and that Team USA proved me wrong, but I said it from Day 1 that this team was a bottom dweller in this tournament, and unfortunately I was correct.

So let's start at the top with some instant analysis - Dean Lombardi - you've done a great job with the LA Kings, but I think we're going to have to ask you to stick with the Kings and keep your hands off of Team USA.  How you and your staff ever thought this team was up to par for this tournament, I'll never know.  Now please go and deal with the 6 years and $35.25M remaining on Dustin Brown's albatross contract.

John Tortorella - thanks but no thanks.  Never ever ever ever ever should you be coaching for Team USA (or in the NHL, or anywhere for that matter).  If Columbus is OK with you ruining their franchise, consider yourself lucky and stay there as long as they'll have you and collect your paycheck.  I'll take a calm, cool, collected, thoughtful, innovative coach any day over your uncontrollable, stubborn, hotheadedness.  By the way - nice challenge on the Corey Perry goal.  My 5 year old knew that wasn't going to get reversed in any way, shape or form.

On to the players, who we can group into a few categories...

Group A - Thanks for playing, you had your day in the sun but your time has come and gone:

To the old guard who's represented Team USA in the past and most likely the reason they got chosen for this team was out of some kind of loyalty - Ryan Kesler, Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson.  Thanks guys, but it's time to move on...I'll leave it at that...

Group B - You made this team....how?:

To 2 lucky guys who fit in 2 categories (Group A and B).  The Johnson's - Erik and Jack.  How did you make this team again?  After I saw you 2 named to this team, I was speaking with a few guys on my men's league team and they felt snubbed.

Group C - Your NHL point production may show that you belong, but your play doesn't:

To Max Pacioretty and Blake Wheeler.  I'd rather you be nowhere near this team.  Reluctantly, I'd probably take you, but I'd try REAL hard to find guys to replace you because you're soft.  Can you score?  I suppose, but you sure didn't/haven't in these type of "best on best" tournaments...and have I mentioned that you're soft?  On second thought, you aren't invited back.

Group D - Jury's out on you:

To Brandon Dubinsky, Kyle Palmieri and Matt Niskanen.  Palmieri - you made it when Callahan pulled out due to injury.  You were scratched for Game 1 against the Europeans.  You had a pretty good year in NJ last year - we'll see where we go from here.  Dubinsky - you played against the Europeans and then were scratched vs Canada when you were needed most and should have been playing.  I apologize for Tortorella's incompetence.  However, the jury's out and you and there's a good chance that you belong in Group A.  Niskanen - what can I say?  You lucked out in 2014 when there were no big name free agent defensemen in the NHL, so you were the big prize and cashed in.  Good on you for cashing in and taking what Washington was willing to pay you.  I guess that automatically puts you in the running for things like this, but I'm not so sure that you don't belong in Group B.

Group E - To the guys I'd take back, but you've been put on notice:

Pretty much the rest of the team...Van Riemsdyk and Stepan...meh, you need to step it up.  Kane - you coast and don't play defense, but I guess that's your game...as long as you score and aren't a liability in the defensive zone, which you kind of have been in these tournaments lately.  Parise, Pavelski, Oshie, Abdelkader, Backes - it's time to show something or you'll be moved to Group A.  Carlson, McDonagh and Byfuglien* - you're the 3 D that probably should have been on the team, but as Group E is titled - you've been put on notice.

*Side note on Byfuglien - he got hammered either by Melrose when it happened or by Hull and Chelios after the 1st period (I can't remember when) for Duchene's 1st goal.  Buf was in position and had Duchene boxed out so he wouldn't/couldn't get a rebound in front of the net.  I guess now he's suppose to also know that the puck was going to be shot wide and perfectly carom off the boards and come to Duchene on the back side, and he should have been able to magically cover 2 sides of Duchene to prevent that goal.

Group F - Goalies:

To Ben Bishop and Cory Schneider - thanks for coming out.  Sorry you didn't get to play, maybe next time.  In fact, maybe we'll let Bishop play against the Czechs and Schneider can back him up and we'll give Quick the day off.  To Jonathan Quick - there were some bad goals scored, and by bad I mean you didn't have much of a D presence to help you (2 on 0's, 2 on 1's with nobody covering, etc.), there were some weird bounces off the boards, there were weird/lucky bounces off players (Perry), bounces off of skates (McDonagh/Bergeron).  You all belong and will be back in the future. but there are young guys that will be up and coming to challenge you.

Group G - The guys left out:

To Tyler Johnson, Phil Kessel, Bobby Ryan, Chris Kreider, Nick Bjugstad, Cam Fowler, Justin Faulk, Kevin Shattenkirk, Kyle Okposo, Brock Nelson and others I'm missing...we're all sorry.  Not sure who all of you should have made this team, but some of you definitely should have.  Also, a semi-shout out to the kids from the USA on Team North America - we look forward to you aging out of Team NA - most, if not all of you, should have been on this team.  I do think the future looks bright for Team USA.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to.  USA continues to throw up stinkers and I think we all deserve better.  I'll be very interested to see who, if anyone, shows up for the Czech game or if they've all packed it in already.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The first US goal is all on the captain of Le Habitants. He failed to do what a winger in that position is to do: get it out, or eat it. And as such, he hung his defensemen out to dry. 

I'm guessing you mean the 3rd Canadian goal?  If so, I agree with you 100%.