SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 World Cup of Hockey

Ray77

Complete embarrassment, pathetic, joke are just some words to discribe Team USA. This team acted like a bunch of individuals who didn't play for the guy next to them or the name on the front of the jersey, instead they played for the name in the back of their jerseys. After what to place at the WCH, all of the players are on the chopping block for the National team for the Olyimpics and WHC.

At the next Team USA camp give the players a jersey with someone else's name on the back so they can see what it's like to play for someone else.

Team USA should look at Team Europe and Team North America, two teams that played for the guy next to them and not for their country.

USA Hockey needs to stop building teams to beat Canada and start building teams that can beat everyone else. Because Canada isn't the only team in these tournaments, but that's all USA Hockey seems to care about.

• Upvote 1

There was ZERO chemistry on this team.  That is on the coach and the "experts" who put it together.  The US team wasn't even entertaining.  

Eichel and Johnny Hockey were way better than any of their older countrymen.

I don't care that much, but it is really pathetic that we couldn't put together a team to compete at this thing.

17 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Breaking news:  For the 2020 WCOH, Team USA will be combined with Slovenia, Egypt, Italy, and Australia and form the World Team.  They're hoping that with some more talent, they can make it out of pool play.    

MEXICO GOT SNUBBED! 

A very predictable stat line from the Russia-Canada game.   Ovechkin 0 goals 0 assists -1.  Shadowed most of the night by Toews' line (with Perry and Couture).   Other Canadian guys will get the headlines tonight, but when Jonny is so consistent at shutdown mode that's really valuable in this kind of setting.    

Canada beats Europe 3-1

Leads series 1-0

"What I think is clear to everybody is despite a lot of skepticism a year ago the concept worked pretty well, and secondly there's no doubt that part of the competitiveness, maybe the most competitive international hockey tournament ever, was a function of the fact that Team Europe and Team North America were certainly more competitive than the seventh and eighth country teams would have been," Commissioner Bettman said.

https://www.wch2016.com/news/nhl-looking-at-sites-for-future-world-cup-tournaments/c-282182918

The World Cup of Hockey will never have the prestige that the Olympics have no matter what Bettman says or thinks. The World Cup of Hockey is Bettmans' way to compete against the Olympics and force the NHL players out of the Olympics, it's going to fail like last time. Three teams didn't really care to be in the World Cup of Hockey, the USA and Finland really didn't care to be there evident by how they played. I think this was the year for Team North America because the next time I don't expect them to be as good or flashy as they were this year.

I have a feeling there will be another lockout in the NHL, because the players want to play in the Olympics and they want to play for their country not teams like Europe and North America.

Hockey in the Olympics is looking less and less likely.  These NHL stars do want to play for their country, but the NHL may not let them do it at the Olympic anymore.  The World Cup of Hockey is a great alternative.  Do it in the offseason so the NHL is satisfied.  Do it every 2 years so excitement builds from the last one.  Only thing I would change is not do it so close to the beginning of the season especially when they have to compete with the NFL and College Football.  Do it in late July and early August when there is nothing going on in sports.

34 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hockey in the Olympics is looking less and less likely.  These NHL stars do want to play for their country, but the NHL may not let them do it at the Olympic anymore.  The World Cup of Hockey is a great alternative.  Do it in the offseason so the NHL is satisfied.  Do it every 2 years so excitement builds from the last one.  Only thing I would change is not do it so close to the beginning of the season especially when they have to compete with the NFL and College Football.  Do it in late July and early August when there is nothing going on in sports.

Add ice hockey to the Summer Olympic Games...

Watching Brett Hull and Chris Chelios in between periods of the WCoH has been mildly entertaining, to say the least.  These 2 are way different than your normal announcers or analysts.  At times, it's like watching Bob and Doug McKenzie from Strange Brew.  But, it's been refreshing.  Something happened last night in between the 1st and 2nd period that I was glad to hear.  They did a short clip on Chelios's son, Jake Chelios, who was playing in pre-season game for the Hurricanes.  Jake scored an assist - a "secondary assist" as Buccigross put it, and both Hull and Chelios quickly corrected him.  It went something like this:

Buccigross - "And Jake Chelios with the secondary assist"

Chelios - "There is no such thing as a secondary assist"

Hull - "No, only assists"

I've seen this on SiouxSports in the last few years in the game threads - talking about who got the "primary assist" and who got the "secondary assist".  I hope this can put an end to that!  There is no such thing as a "primary" or "secondary" assist....it's just an assist.  Typically, if you say the goal was scored by Caggulia with assists to Boeser and Schmaltz, that would mean Boeser gave it to Caggulia ("primary assist"), and Schmaltz gave it to Boeser ("secondary assist").  Just a pet peeve of mine, I guess...

Please help me in my crusade to get rid of people saying "primary" and "secondary" assists.  This has been a public service announcement from your friend, Ray77!

9 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Watching Brett Hull and Chris Chelios in between periods of the WCoH has been mildly entertaining, to say the least.  These 2 are way different than your normal announcers or analysts.  At times, it's like watching Bob and Doug McKenzie from Strange Brew.  But, it's been refreshing.  Something happened last night in between the 1st and 2nd period that I was glad to hear.  They did a short clip on Chelios's son, Jake Chelios, who was playing in pre-season game for the Hurricanes.  Jake scored an assist - a "secondary assist" as Buccigross put it, and both Hull and Chelios quickly corrected him.  It went something like this:

Buccigross - "And Jake Chelios with the secondary assist"

Chelios - "There is no such thing as a secondary assist"

Hull - "No, only assists"

I've seen this on SiouxSports in the last few years in the game threads - talking about who got the "primary assist" and who got the "secondary assist".  I hope this can put an end to that!  There is no such thing as a "primary" or "secondary" assist....it's just an assist.  Typically, if you say the goal was scored by Caggulia with assists to Boeser and Schmaltz, that would mean Boeser gave it to Caggulia ("primary assist"), and Schmaltz gave it to Boeser ("secondary assist").  Just a pet peeve of mine, I guess...

Please help me in my crusade to get rid of people saying "primary" and "secondary" assists.  This has been a public service announcement from your friend, Ray77!

Course, last year's tictictictactactoe goal didn't have enough assists when it stops at just 2.