SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Fighting Champions

fightingsioux08

Hi,

I know I'm over a year late with my idea but I thought of a joke this morning
"I admit that I would be fine we renamed the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux to ........ the University of North Dakota National Champions".

Te longer that I've been thinking about it, I really believe if our nickname was changed to either the University of North Dakota National Champions or better yet the University of North Dakota Fighting Champions, I think the name could take off for the following reasons:

• Fighting Champions is unique....no other college team has it and I don't know of any professional or semi-professional team that has it
  • It keeps the tradition of the Fighting Sioux with using half of its nickname (the only good aspect of the Fighting Hawks) and keeps up our tradition of a championship rich athletics program and fanbase.
  • Merchandise would sell
  • Hockey fans/team would embrace/LOVE it
  • It has the best chance of any non-Sioux nickname to successfully take off

People might believe because we have already changed our nickname that UND wouldn't change it again so quickly.  But UND has to be dissapointed from observing the lackluster reception from the alumni and students to the new nickname, and if the reception doesnt significantly improve with the logo (which is possible), I think UND will be put in a difficult situation.
The merchandise hasn't sold AT ALL.  Not only does the Fighting Hawks merchandise sit on the shelves at the Grand Forks Scheels and at the Ralph, but it hasn't sold anywhere that I've been.  The Bismarck Scheels has the Fighting Hawks products on sale/clearance, because they hasn't been selling.  UND is running a big risk to the relationships of their retailers and suppliers that they keep producing merchandise with a nickname that is NOT going to sell and has the retailers lose money and waste space in their stores of merchandise that doesn't sale. If UND keeps producing undesirable merchandise, retailers will quit ordering it and order merchandise of universities products that do sell.....which is Bison merchandise that have to be bought by their fanbase because most their fans are bandwagon fans that didn't exist before 2010 so they don't have any Bison stuff .....sorry had to throw an insult to the Bison in here:)

It doesn't have to be this way as UND fans have acted like vultures trying to buy any of the Dacotah Legacy Fighting Sioux merchandise or any merchandise that says champions on it......unless its a Fighting Hawks champions merchandise....even THAT is not selling.

For the above reasons I am suggesting a nickname, Fighting Champions, that's merchandise has already proven to sell great, the hockey team/fans will love it (seriously how many times is champions written on the walls at the Ralph....the players have all bought into playing for it, they are NOT shy that's why they came to play for North Dakota is to play for the championships), and its a unique, non-generic nickname that UND's athletic teams/fans can get behind.

Our hockey team logo could be the 8 national championship trophies, and you could update the logo everytime they win another championship (new logo = more sales = more money for UND)
Our football team's logo could be the 1 national championship trophy, and I hope our football team is the university that dethrones the Bison and wins the whole thing
Our women's basketball team's logo could be the 3 national championship trophy
All the other sports logos could be the 8 hockey, 1 football, and 3 wbb trophies all together

And if anyone thinks its detrimental to use 4 different logos....do you think that's a worse result than the best case scenario of UND fans embracing the Fighting Hawks name for every sport but hockey....and our hockey team keeps being (unofficially) Fighting Sioux?  Our hockey fans are great, we WILL not let the Fighting Sioux name die for a generic replacement name.  We love the Sioux name so much that we our  passion and dedication will keep the name relevant for decades.  We smile and become oddly happy and excited whenever an announcer, analyst, or former head couch calls us Sioux. 

For being such passionate fans we deserve a nickname that we can embrace and get behind, and I think that should be the University of North Dakota Fighting Champions.

I hope people embrace this idea, and it would be really cool if fans would start calling us the Fighting Champions....feel free to share this idea with any friends:)

During the nickname voting process, I suggested to people that we call ourselves the "Fighting Nodaks", so the nickname topic has stayed on my mind throughout the year:)

Fighting hawks is the name for now,  but if the logo doesn't improve the acceptance of the name (its hard to say if it will or wont at this point) , within 5 to 10 years und will have to change their name.

Und can't keep producing merchandise that doesn't sell. Its not bad for the suppliers, manufacturers and the brand of the school.

Our new president said the best way for people to embrace the new name was to win the national championship and we DID, and nothing has changed in thst regard. The sioux chants were so loud that the espn announcers had to talk about it. 

Then a few days ago the gf herald wrote an article that stated that "according to und fans the fighting sioux won their 8th title not the fighting hawks"

There is no way they are opening this issue again. For as much praise as Kelly received from some during his tenure this process, along with the budget issue will be his legacy. I am quite certain UND is in his rear view mirror and getting smaller all the time.

As far as the current cuts, it's not uncommon to bring in an interim leader to make the messy unpopular decisions before the hand-off so the new president can start with a clean slate and doesn't have to step in and make enemies. You see it all the time in corporate lay-offs. 

42 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

Then a few days ago the gf herald wrote an article that stated that "according to und fans the fighting sioux won their 8th title not the fighting hawks"

Be careful using the Herald as a guide. They supported dropping the old nickname. You don't know their motives for publishing that. 

I don't care what the herald wants as unds name, I was referencing the article because the mindset of our fans hasn't moved on from the sioux name, and I don't believe "time" will have our hockey fans convert to liking "hawks" as a name

But I am more interested in people telling me if they would LIKE fighting champions as the school name than if they think it will change

I think it would look sweet to have the 8 trophies as the logo and have that be the center ice logo at the ralph. We have the championship banners/trophies/pictures of them all over the ralph, it sure would tie in better than having a green hawk be the new und symbol

Please let me know if you think that would be a cool name and logo or not

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I don't care what the herald wants as unds name, I was referencing the article because the mindset of our fans hasn't moved on from the sioux name, and I don't believe "time" will have our hockey fans convert to liking "hawks" as a name

But I am more interested in people telling me if they would LIKE fighting champions as the school name than if they think it will change

I think it would look sweet to have the 8 trophies as the logo and have that be the center ice logo at the ralph. We have the championship banners/trophies/pictures of them all over the ralph, it sure would tie in better than having a green hawk be the new und symbol

No

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

No a million times over on both the name champions and changing names again. Fighting Hawks doesn't even have a logo yet. UND is never going back to the Sioux and bringing up other names is a waste of time. Wasn't my first choice by any means but Fighting Hawks is just fine. Let's get a sweet logo and move on. #WingsUp

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, fightingsioux08 said:

Tell that to all the people who voted for the Fighting Hawks name because they thought the logo would be that multicolored one from the junior team in Canada.

also, a 'no' vote from me.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I like how you said "hockey fans", because fans at the Alerus and Betty will be more accepting and does it fear you that eventually that fandom will start spilling into the REA drowning out the booing and the Let's go Sioux chants? The nickname isn't a year old and there is no logo, talking about losing money on merchandise is a little premature on those two points alone plus we haven't had a marketable logo since the Sioux name retired. Let's revisit this thread in 5 years and see where the name is at compared to now.

And to answer your question about the name UND Champions...NO!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I'm fine with waiting 5 years to determine if the f'n hawks name is accepted or not.  I just wanted to have a discussion.  I can't believe so many people are against this name, I thought it was a great idea

People are burnt out on the whole nickname issue. We are finally compliant with the NCAA and this issue should be put to rest, and never to awaken except if the NCAA gets rid of their NA policy. Your idea on a new name is about half a year too late.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I'm fine with waiting 5 years to determine if the f'n hawks name is accepted or not.  I just wanted to have a discussion.  I can't believe so many people are against this name, I thought it was a great idea

and I thought Roughriders was a great idea, but it the 43rd iteration of Hawks and the millionth use of a bird, but it is time to move on...

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Be careful using the Herald as a guide. They supported dropping the old nickname. You don't know their motives for publishing that. 

Isn't the Herald-o supposed to report the news? :)  I really don't give a crap what they support or don't support.