SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Men's Ice Hockey: Three Things I'd Change

Dave Berger

I agree with all of them, almost.  The only change I'd make to number two is that if the team scores on the delayed penalty while their goalie is still on the ice, then they should still get the power play.  If their goalie has left the ice for a 6th skater, then no power play.  If the goalie is on the ice it's not really a man-advantage yet, so the non-penalized team should still get their chance to play with a true advantage.

It wouldn't take long to review some video after a goal to determine if the goalie had left the ice yet or not.

Totally disagree with #3. I understand why this comes to mind with guys laying on the ice trying to get a penalty, but it doesn't mean it's not a major though.

If a guy gets checked from behind, it doesn't matter how long they are hurt for. What matters is the action that drew the penalty. It's the same thing as people that want guys suspended for as long as someone got hurt. You can't call a penalty or suspend someone based upon the good or bad fortune of the guy that take the brunt of the penalty. The unintended consequences are not worth it in my opinion.

I would change 5 minute majors to a two minute penalty for Checking from behind or whatever the offense, and a two minute penalty for reckless play, both to be served concurrently.  I think that would be more likely to change behavior and cause coaches to drill it into their players to watch out for player safety.  Let's face it, how many times have teams had a five minute major work out to the benefit of the offending team by gaining momentum from killing it off.  Would like to know the percentages of teams taking advantage of 5 minute majors.  I think if you are facing a 5 on 3 disadvantage for two minutes, you probably will be less likely to come away unscathed.  

This is what I wrote in the comments of that article.

Dave,

I dont disagree with you on points 1 or 2, though with point 2 I do wonder how many goals are scored during the delayed penalty in a season; or how many are score on the delayed penalty AND the ensuing penalty kill.

Point 3 doesn't make a ton of sense to me ... unless you are going to allow the ref to make a discretionary call based on injury. There are plenty of times where someone takes a cheap shot, hit from behind or to the head, and bounces right back up because they are fine. Contact to the head is "potentially" dangerous, but does not cause injury in EVERY instance. Why punish the player on the receiving end of a cheap shot by not allowing them to be on the ice, during a critical point in the game. If they need need further medical assessment, that should be up to the medical staff.

If concern is for players that are diving or elaborating on a cheap hit, then that is a whole separate issue where refs should be assessing an additional penalty for diving or embellishment.

To add on to #3.  If a major penalty occurs during the last, say, 10 minutes of the third period, review it.  If it is indeed a major that warrants a game misconduct, I'd like to see a DQ added to that for the next night's game.  Sometimes if a game gets to be a blowout in the third, there can be frustration that can lead to some pretty fierce goonery.   A guy figures what the heck, it's a blow out and the game's almost over, who cares if I get tossed. 

I hate goalies who think they are helping the team by playing the puck 

Any remote help will forever be forgotten the one time they screw up

I just cringe when I see any goalie even come close to making a mistake playing the puck 

JUST STAY IN THE NET AND DO UR JOB !

I have to say their are teams I'd love to see Cam score on with a empty net shot (but only if there is no chance  of a mistake coming back & biting us u know where)

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fetch said:

I just cringe when I see any goalie even come close to making a mistake playing the puck 

I have to say their are teams I'd love to see Cam score on with a empty net shot (but only if there is no chance  of a mistake coming back & biting us u know where)

I still remember Jordan Parise trying to play the puck against Mankato back in 03 or 04. Ended up passing the puck right to Mankato for an open net goal.

26 minutes ago, Fetch said:

There are many instances when a goalie is helping a team by playing the puck.  One example, team on the PP rings the puck around the boards from center ice and goalie stops it behind the net for his teammate to easily handle and fling down the ice as opposed to the puck getting to the other winger and setting up their powerplay.

The benefit of it isn't immediately apparent as it doesn't usually translate directly to a goal but it's not as black-and-white as saying 'I hate goalies who play the puck and think they're helping their team'.

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

There are many instances when a goalie is helping a team by playing the puck.  One example, team on the PP rings the puck around the boards from center ice and goalie stops it behind the net for his teammate to easily handle and fling down the ice as opposed to the puck getting to the other winger and setting up their powerplay.

The benefit of it isn't immediately apparent as it doesn't usually translate directly to a goal but it's not as black-and-white as saying 'I hate goalies who play the puck and think they're helping their team'.

You make an excellent point.