SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ SCSU Huskies - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

Got handled, SCSU fans will be talking like they won a NCAA title

Twitter was horrid last night. I had an SCSU employee tweet me and say that UND was close to getting swept. I thought that was funny because at no time did I feel UND was going to get beat on Friday night. As usual, SCSU fans are butthurt as again. This time, it's about a tripping call and Drake Caggiula's goal. They reviewed that goal for 3+ minutes and couldn't find any reason to wave it off. 

I am glad UND doesn't play them again this season. I am bored with this matchup. They won one game.

Regarding the "high stick" goal on Friday:  I believe the problem the announcers (and many others, also) were having probably stemmed from their lack of hockey rules knowledge.  It is my understanding that if a player from Team A makes puck contact with a his stick above the crossbar:  1) no goal can be scored if it goes directly into the net, 2) a whistle to stop play occurs if a teammate on Team A is the first to touch the puck.  What cancels out the whistle is if an opponent (Team B) touches the puck.  Then the puck is "fair game" for all players.  This is what happened when the puck, deflected with a UND high stick, hit the St.Cloud goalie.  With the puck, then in play for either team, the UND player shot the rebound into the net.  Good goal!

• Upvote 1

Regarding the "high stick" goal on Friday:  I believe the problem the announcers (and many others, also) were having probably stemmed from their lack of hockey rules knowledge.  It is my understanding that if a player from Team A makes puck contact with a his stick above the crossbar:  1) no goal can be scored if it goes directly into the net, 2) a whistle to stop play occurs if a teammate on Team A is the first to touch the puck.  What cancels out the whistle is if an opponent (Team B) touches the puck.  Then the puck is "fair game" for all players.  This is what happened when the puck, deflected with a UND high stick, hit the St.Cloud goalie.  With the puck, then in play for either team, the UND player shot the rebound into the net.  Good goal!

That's the rule and apparently, SCSU fans and their staff  don't know that.  (Video from Friday's game)

Edited by Goon

Twitter was horrid last night. I had an SCSU employee tweet me and say that UND was close to getting swept. I thought that was funny because at no time did I feel UND was going to get beat on Friday night. As usual, SCSU fans are butthurt as again. This time, it's about a tripping call and Drake Caggiula's goal. They reviewed that goal for 3+ minutes and couldn't find any reason to wave it off. 

I am glad UND doesn't play them again this season. I am bored with this matchup. They won one game.

As far as "butthurt" goes ....after Saturday nights result you may want to check your own.

Bored with this match up or just don't like it? SCSU has been very competitive with the Sioux in recent years. The Sioux are college hockey power every year,have great resources and should have high expectations.....but I would wager their are plenty of Sioux fans that would be a bit nervous facing the Huskies on "neutral ice" in the post season. 

• Upvote 1

As far as "butthurt" goes ....after Saturday nights result you may want to check your own.

Bored with this match up or just don't like it? SCSU has been very competitive with the Sioux in recent years. The Sioux are college hockey power every year,have great resources and should have high expectations.....but I would wager their are plenty of Sioux fans that would be a bit nervous facing the Huskies on "neutral ice" in the post season. 

Not if last spring was any indication of how scsu plays in the playoffs. :D

• Upvote 1

I think it was a good goal because it wasn't a high stick, but that's absolutely incorrect about the rule. The standard is possession of the puck for a washout, and there's no way Lindgren has possession of the puck. They wouldn't wave off a goal on a delayed penalty because it tipped off the goalies pads before it went in either.

87.2 High-Sticking the Puck - Batting the puck above the height of 4 feet with a stick is prohibited. When a puck is struck with a high stick and subsequently comes into the possession and control of a player from the offending team (including the player who made contact with the puck), either directly or deflected off any player or official, there shall be a whistle. 

Not if last spring was any indication of how scsu plays in the playoffs. :D

Touche.....I did mention neutral ice.

I have always enjoyed playing the Sioux the games are always fast,fun and competitive ( last night was't all that competitive:D) with a lot of skill on the ice.

Good luck the rest of the season and hopefully we meet again!

Touche.....I did mention neutral ice.

I have always enjoyed playing the Sioux the games are always fast,fun and competitive ( last night was't all that competitive:D) with a lot of skill on the ice.

Good luck the rest of the season and hopefully we meet again!

According to the NCAA that was neutral ice. Let's be honest though, und will have more fans in the stands in any arena not located in St cloud.

• Upvote 2

According to the NCAA that was neutral ice. Let's be honest though, und will have more fans in the stands in any arena not located in St cloud.

2 hours to St. Cloud, 1 hour to Grand Forks... You can't get much more neutral than that without playing the game in Fergus Falls. Can't fault UND for having a better fan base than the Huskies.

Hell, we had more people in Minneapolis for the Frozen Faceoff too.

• Upvote 1

Historically, UND always splits with SCSU in the concrete center. UND split, they're still tied for first overall in the NCHC.
After the game in question, I was watching the UND vs. Cal Poly game.

Bored with the matchup, meh. The SCSU series has never done anything for me. It's like playing tech or UAA. I would rather watch UND play MU, UMD, UW and UMN, any day.
IRC, we did face the Huskies on neutral ice twice last season, twice. UND won the game that mattered the most. UND already had a top seed wrapped up the regular season title, so the Frozen Faceoff game was meaningless to the seedings and PWR.

Just a side note, are Andy Murray and Bob Motzko the Bo Pellini's of college hockey?

Are you comparing those coaches to  Bo Pellini's? I don't know if I would make that comparison. The few times I have seen Murray in post game pressers, he's been great. He did say that he thought the league needed better officials after the first Frozen Faceoff. Motzko isn't bad either. I think his team embellishes a lot.

Edited by Goon

2 hours to St. Cloud, 1 hour to Grand Forks... You can't get much more neutral than that without playing the game in Fergus Falls. Can't fault UND for having a better fan base than the Huskies.

Hell, we had more people in Minneapolis for the Frozen Faceoff too.

Kudos to the fans it's like a cult.....they have the best fan-base in college hockey in my opinion.......But to say that was neutral is ridiculous and naive. As far as the FF goes.....you will have the most fans at every FF what a surprise that was. 

It is unfortunate SCSU base is not better with the level of play they have shown in recent years Cloud is not a hockey crazy town.....UND has rich history,the Ralph is Awesome and the Sioux is what you do in G.F. in the winter which has built that great base over the years. I would guess 60 or so years of D1 hockey

Edited by Stormchaser

Are you comparing those coaches to  Bo Pellini's? I don't know if I would make that comparison. The few times I have seen Murray in post game pressers, he's been great. He did say that he thought the league needed better officials after the first Frozen Faceoff. Motzko isn't bad either. I think his team embellishes a lot.

I am comparing the way they scream in rage at the officials the same. As far as Andy Murray goes, he said he can't believe officials listen to the coaches and not just drop the puck, yet he is the first to go on and on after a call.

I am comparing the way they scream in rage at the officials the same. As far as Andy Murray goes, he said he can't believe officials listen to the coaches and not just drop the puck, yet he is the first to go on and on after a call.

Makes sense. 

That had to be embarrassing for SCSU fans last night that were paying attention. You're up by how many goals and you whine like a baby to the officials, and get a delay of game. If our PP didn't suck last night and we scored on it, could have turned the tide of the game.

I'm going to bet one of these games this year it comes back to bite them in the butt if it keeps going on. 

That had to be embarrassing for SCSU fans last night that were paying attention. You're up by how many goals and you whine like a baby to the officials, and get a delay of game. If our PP didn't suck last night and we scored on it, could have turned the tide of the game.

I'm going to bet one of these games this year it comes back to bite them in the butt if it keeps going on. 

The Hawks got thoroughly beaten last night, and it would be easy to argue they outplayed UND on Friday.  If I'm a Husky fan, I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Right now, I'd say SCSU is the better team.   That will change, hopefully.   

• Upvote 1

I think it was a good goal because it wasn't a high stick, but that's absolutely incorrect about the rule. The standard is possession of the puck for a washout, and there's no way Lindgren has possession of the puck. They wouldn't wave off a goal on a delayed penalty because it tipped off the goalies pads before it went in either.

Thanks for the rules interp passage.  I wasn't sure about the "touching" or "possession" application to this rule (that's why I said it was "my understanding").  I was wrong on my "understanding," and in that case, the goal probably should have not counted because it looked like the puck was deflected with a UND players stick above the crossbar (4 feet high).  I'm glad they did count it.  UND gets enough bad breaks on officials' calls so it's nice that this one went in their favor.

The Hawks got thoroughly beaten last night, and it would be easy to argue they outplayed UND on Friday.  If I'm a Husky fan, I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Right now, I'd say SCSU is the better team.   That will change, hopefully.   

Refreshing post.....spot on and yes that could CHANGE. It's nice to see not everyone on hear has green goggles on. 

I am sure I have my red goggles on from time to time but some people are very sensitive and have zero objectivity.

Thank you and enjoy the season!

Refreshing post.....spot on and yes that could CHANGE. It's nice to see not everyone on hear has green goggles on. 

I am sure I have my red goggles on from time to time but some people are very sensitive and have zero objectivity.

We all wear colored glasses, even when we try to take them off.  I think UND fans are pretty good at recognizing when we are outplayed, all in all.   Competitive, though.  

I would say that opinions differ,  I think UND except for a short period of time in the third period, was  the better team on Friday. The homer tv announcers were ranting and raving about UND's top line all night.  UND lost some momentum when they got into penalty trouble. But for the most part,  I think UND had the edge in Friday's game.

Saturday was a different story. They got behind early after a few fluky goals. I think UND's body language said they were happy to get the split. I was disappointed to see the black jersey's as well.

That being said, I don't think UND fans should be down. UND's young team hasn't scratched the surface yet. They're playing with 11 freshmen in the lineup. There's going to be growing pains. I don't know if any thought UND would be 10-2-2 after 14 games.

• Upvote 2

College Hockey Inc has a nice stats page and you can manipulate the stats if you want. Here's the NCHC team stats.

I think I'm going to cut back on Boeser's goal total in hopes that he stays beyond this season. 

I also think Schmaltz having 15 assists at this point is unreal. Would like to knock that back to 8 or 9, again in the hopes that he stays beyond this year.

:D

• Upvote 2

I would say that opinions differ,  I think UND except for a short period of time in the third period, was  the better team on Friday. The homer tv announcers were ranting and raving about UND's top line all night.  UND lost some momentum when they got into penalty trouble. But for the most part,  I think UND had the edge in Friday's game.

Saturday was a different story. They got behind early after a few fluky goals. I think UND's body language said they were happy to get the split. I was disappointed to see the black jersey's as well.

That being said, I don't think UND fans should be down. UND's young team hasn't scratched the surface yet. They're playing with 11 freshmen in the lineup. There's going to be growing pains. I don't know if any thought UND would be 10-2-2 after 14 games.

All I know is that if we don't start getting secondary scoring on a more consistent basis we are in trouble. 

• Upvote 1