SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ SCSU Huskies - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

All I know is that if we don't start getting secondary scoring on a more consistent basis we are in trouble. 

Secondary scoring is a big concern. I am more concerned about the PK and PP.

Edited by Goon

Twitter was horrid last night. I had an SCSU employee tweet me and say that UND was close to getting swept. I thought that was funny because at no time did I feel UND was going to get beat on Friday night. As usual, SCSU fans are butthurt as again. This time, it's about a tripping call and Drake Caggiula's goal. They reviewed that goal for 3+ minutes and couldn't find any reason to wave it off. 

I am glad UND doesn't play them again this season. I am bored with this matchup. They won one game.

Well sweeps almost never happen either way in St. Cloud but we were a hell of a lot closer to getting swept than we were to getting a sweep. We were pretty fortunate on Friday night as St. Cloud carried the play other than when the CBS line was on the ice.

Edited by petey23

Secondary scoring is a big concern. I am more concerned about the PK and PP.

I agree 100%.  It's fun to load up that top line but it can cost you when another team can contain them (as they did last Saturday).  The 2nd and 3rd lines did absolutely nothing this past weekend.  Actually they have never really done anything since the CBS line has been intact.  Berry will have to make some tough decisions. 

Edited by scpa0305

I agree 100%.  It's fun to load up that top line but it can cost you when another team can contain them (as they did last Saturday).  The 2nd and 3rd lines did absolutely nothing this past weekend.  Exactly they have never really done anything since the CBS line has been intact.  Berry will have to make some tough decisions. 

I think the 11 freshmen is the reason/root for some of UND's problems.

I would say that opinions differ,  I think UND except for a short period of time in the third period, was  the better team on Friday. The homer tv announcers were ranting and raving about UND's top line all night.  UND lost some momentum when they got into penalty trouble. But for the most part,  I think UND had the edge in Friday's game.

Saturday was a different story. They got behind early after a few fluky goals. I think UND's body language said they were happy to get the split. I was disappointed to see the black jersey's as well.

That being said, I don't think UND fans should be down. UND's young team hasn't scratched the surface yet. They're playing with 11 freshmen in the lineup. There's going to be growing pains. I don't know if any thought UND would be 10-2-2 after 14 games.

This ^^^. 

The lack of clearing on the penalty kill during those penalty troubles was scary, but I would have to say UND won 2.5 periods Friday.  Saturday, they didn't win any. 

• Upvote 1

This ^^^. 

The lack of clearing on the penalty kill during those penalty troubles was scary, but I would have to say UND won 2.5 periods Friday.  Saturday, they didn't win any. 

I think UND needs to challenge more on the pk, you challenge teams and they panic and start making passes that they wouldn't normally do. I know we havnt seen him in net yet but we need Tomek, he went in the 4th round for a reason and we need St. Clair back. If Sanderson is gonna stay in the line up, he needs to practice finishing or put Gersich in, don't know why he sat on Saturday anyways

• Upvote 2

I think UND needs to challenge more on the pk, you challenge teams and they panic and start making passes that they wouldn't normally do. I know we havnt seen him in net yet but we need Tomek, he went in the 4th round for a reason and we need St. Clair back. If Sanderson is gonna stay in the line up, he needs to practice finishing or put Gersich in, don't know why he sat on Saturday anyways

3rd round but your point still stands :)

• Upvote 1

That's the rule and apparently, SCSU fans and their staff  don't know that.  (Video from Friday's game)

Cut and pasted from the NCAA rule book (apologies for the different font): 

"

High-Sticking the Puck
-
Batting the puck above the height of 4 feet
with a stick is prohibited. When a puck is struck with a high stick and
subsequently comes into the possession and control of a player from the
offending team (including the player who made contact with the puck),
either directly or deflected off any player or official, there shall be a

whistle."

A goaltender making a save does not constitute "possession and control", but is rather a deflection, and thus the whistle should have blown as soon as the ND player touched the rebound.  It's the same as when there is a delayed penalty; a goaltender making a save does not cause play to be whistled dead, as the goaltender never possessed the puck, but merely deflected it.   I believe the goal was allowed due to the lack of a conclusive angle on replay, causing the call made on the ice to be upheld.  The "behind the net" angle the SCSU announcers cited as indisputable actually had a bit of a downward-looking angle, so although the stick hit the puck when it was visible (appearing to be above the crossbar), it's not possible to tell whether it was truly above the crossbar or just appeared to be due to the angle.

Agree totally with your comments.  Hrynkiw has done a nice job while filling in but based on his high draft position Tomek needs to play when healthy.  I also agree with comments on Gersich.  As a freshman he has done alright.  Sanderson is another feel good story but as a senior, I would sooner see Gersich develop and believe he has a much higher top-end.  St. Clair plays the role of relentless and definitely upgrades the PK.

As far as playing time is CBS overworked ?

Up until these guys got to UND, they were playing in leagues where their team played at least 60 games a season. And prior to their Junior teams, many of them were likely every-other-shift guys. 10 or so games into a season they are definitely not anywhere near "overworked". 

Cut and pasted from the NCAA rule book (apologies for the different font): 

"

High-Sticking the Puck
-
Batting the puck above the height of 4 feet
with a stick is prohibited. When a puck is struck with a high stick and
subsequently comes into the possession and control of a player from the
offending team (including the player who made contact with the puck),
either directly or deflected off any player or official, there shall be a

whistle."

A goaltender making a save does not constitute "possession and control", but is rather a deflection, and thus the whistle should have blown as soon as the ND player touched the rebound.  It's the same as when there is a delayed penalty; a goaltender making a save does not cause play to be whistled dead, as the goaltender never possessed the puck, but merely deflected it.   I believe the goal was allowed due to the lack of a conclusive angle on replay, causing the call made on the ice to be upheld.  The "behind the net" angle the SCSU announcers cited as indisputable actually had a bit of a downward-looking angle, so although the stick hit the puck when it was visible (appearing to be above the crossbar), it's not possible to tell whether it was truly above the crossbar or just appeared to be due to the angle.

Nice work.... good explanation. It was hard to tell on the replay if it was high stick.... call on ice stands good goal

Apparently some certain UND fan lacks some hockey rules knowledge as well:wink: 

• Downvote 1

While we're on this point, I think UND's upside is higher than SCSU's. UND fans, I think we have a lot to be excited about. 

agreed, I'm not sure what the banter has been about the last page or so. Und definitely has more upside however st cloud is a solid fast team. They play well on that big ice. We lost 6-1 but the boys shut it down once Olson took that game changing bone head penalty.

we split to the #7 ranked squad on the road, no big deal. On to next week.

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 2