SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho State: Homecoming Edition

SWSiouxMN

I have a feeling this will be a close game, or closer than it should be. 

I'm real nervous about this game.  Idaho St. apparently has some talent and just haven't been able to put it together this season.

On the other hand, Kramer comes across in his interviews as having no respect for UND. 

• Upvote 1

I'm real nervous about this game.  Idaho St. apparently has some talent and just haven't been able to put it together this season.

On the other hand, Kramer comes across in his interviews as having no respect for UND. 

Agreed, not too impressed by Kramer. Kind of a, "Yeah, they play well, but they aren't dominant, their not special" kind of mentality. Reminds me of the Wyoming defender that was asked about Santiago running all over them who said, yeah he didn't do anything special.

Not saying we're a great great team yet, we still have a long ways to go, but I think at 4-1 we have done a pretty good job so far.

That being said, our D needs to step up big time this weekend, and our O needs to finish their drives. I could see this game being closer than it should, but hopefully the guys take the momentum of last week, and coming home and put up some big points early.

I am nervous too.  ISU has some offensive talent and if they get some things to go right, they could surprise UND.  Our defense must be on fire and I sure hope that Cole will be ready.  If not, I believe in next man up, just a little nervous of our secondary with their QB/WR ability.  I hope to be impressed with our D and really want the offense to continue to improve this game, control the game and hold onto the ball.  We are going to need points to win.

Time for a statement win. There has been nothing but close wins thus far, and although a win is a win, a big homecoming win by 14 to 21 points would be great. Idaho State is 1-4 and has lost handily on the road to teams like UNLV and Cal Poly. Heck, even Portland State - who UND just defeated - went into Pocatello and beat up on Idaho State, winning by 20 points. 

This is a must win. UND must first secure the W, but if they get the chance, they also need to make a statement and win convincingly. Run the ball for 300+ yards on these guys, control the time of possession, and come away with touchdowns, not field goals. UND's defense needs to just hang in there and force some turnovers (no big plays like last week's first play); make the Idaho State offense nickel and dime it - they will eventually make a mistake. That mindset requires solid safety play though......

Offensively, it's obvious that holding onto the ball would be a heck of a step in the right direction. Second, penalties. I think the refs were a little loose with the whistle during some drives, but it'd be great to cut them down/out. I'd like to see timing routes worked out. Curls, slants, outs, hitch type stuff. Seems like we are bit off on those. I don't know if its communication or lack of familiarity there, but if we could get those for 4, 5 yard gains, I'd feel a lot better on third and mediums. Lastly and personally, I wouldn't hate more Olivera 6 yards after contact runs. 

Defensively, just hold it together the injuries. Can my key to the game be Reyes not being hurt? Rich was a favorite of mine, so I'm worried there, yet hopeful Mr. Baker will step in. Hopefully Idowu is ready to go, full speed. If they do a bunch of quick, timing routes, would I be wrong to say that our OLB need a big deal? An Anthony Barr at the end of the first half type pick would be nice. 

That's what I'm looking for this weekend.

Time for a statement. There has been nothing but close wins thus far, and although a win is a win, a big homecoming win by 14 to 21 points would be great. Idaho State is 1-4 and has lost handily on the road to teams like UNLV and Cal Poly. Heck, even Portland State - who UND just defeated - went into Pocatello and beat up on Idaho State and won by 20 points. 

This is a must win. UND must do that, but if they get the chance, they also need to make a statement and win convincingly. Run the ball for 300+ yards on these guys, control the time of possession, and come away with touchdowns, not field goals. Defense needs to just hang in there; make the offense nickel and dime it - they will eventually make a mistake. That mindset requires solid safety play though......

I say it's a must win, too.  We can't lose to a team that got smoked 80-8 to UNLV, and UNLV could of scored 100.  If we finish drives with touchdowns we'll be OK.  If we are kicking FG's, then it's a toss-up.

• Upvote 1

Offensively, it's obvious that holding onto the ball would be a heck of a step in the right direction. Second, penalties. I think the refs were a little loose with the whistle during some drives, but it'd be great to cut them down/out. I'd like to see timing routes worked out. Curls, slants, outs, hitch type stuff. Seems like we are bit off on those. I don't know if its communication or lack of familiarity there, but if we could get those for 4, 5 yard gains, I'd feel a lot better on third and mediums. Lastly and personally, I wouldn't hate more Olivera 6 yards after contact runs. 

Defensively, just hold it together the injuries. Can my key to the game be Reyes not being hurt? Rich was a favorite of mine, so I'm worried there, yet hopeful Mr. Baker will step in. Hopefully Idowu is ready to go, full speed. If they do a bunch of quick, timing routes, would I be wrong to say that our OLB need a big deal? An Anthony Barr at the end of the first half type pick would be nice. 

That's what I'm looking for this weekend.

It appears O'Brien will be taking over for rich. He has had some meaningful reps over the past couple weeks and has looked pretty good. 

It appears O'Brien will be taking over for rich. He has had some meaningful reps over the past couple weeks and has looked pretty good. 

I like his quickness and nose for the ball. He's not as big but we'll see how he does as a starter. I'm excited to see who steps in as the new top backup.

Not sure who will or won't be ready to play this weekend, but I was thinking the other day that we could possibly have 8 guys that would have been considered starters to open the season that won't be playing this weekend due to leaving the team or injury.  Here I thought we had the injury bug last year and got that out of the way.