SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

I agree, Notre Dame has shown it can be done with an almost exact replica!  Per people within the Athletic Administration, when student athletes are traveling, they really enjoy people asking them about Notre Dame when they see their travel gear.

So, you are suggesting we drop that too?  

Glad we have the Fargo/Bison editorial board telling long standing Sioux fans along with a group of actual Sioux people what's good for them... Their words don't mean a thing to the proud Sioux fans and Sioux people.

herald/forum is not even a legitimate media source anymore.  they literally cite to Facebook and Twitter comments.  sensationalism at its worst.

• Upvote 3

Reading the last few pages I don't think its clear that everyone understands the FSU has permission from the Seminole tribe. 

That still doesn't stop someone from complaining about their nickname and moniker.

• Upvote 1

That still doesn't stop someone from complaining about their nickname and moniker.

For those who obviously haven't read some of the posts, I'll reiterate that I find it had to believe that enough schools will actually complain to the NCAA that UND's lack of a nickname perpetuates hostile and abusive stereotypes about Native American when there are literally other universities out there, like Florida State, that do perpetuate stereotypes about Native Americans.

This has nothing to do with Florida State being exempt from sanctions.  It has to do with what university's would actually complain about a lack of a nickname that allegedly encourages racial insensitivity while ignoring and not complaining about other schools.

Recall, for sanctions to be in place, "other schools" must first complain to the NCAA according the Peter Johnson.

Or when someone from within UND complains.  And we all know that would never happen, right?

Except that's absolutely not what the NCAA source allegedly told Peter Johnson.  We all get that your anti-North Dakota/UND and we're fine with that, but it becomes problematic when you start misrepresenting the truth.

"(H)e was told -- just as a friendly word -- that if fans resumed using Sioux or Fighting Sioux, the NCAA believes it is possible that other schools might -- might -- complain and that, in turn, could result in sanctions," UND spokesman Peter Johnson said in the email.

For those who obviously haven't read some of the posts, I'll reiterate that I find it had to believe that enough schools will actually complain to the NCAA that UND's lack of a nickname perpetuates hostile and abusive stereotypes about Native American when there are literally other universities out there, like Florida State, that do perpetuate stereotypes about Native Americans.

This has nothing to do with Florida State being exempt from sanctions.  It has to do with what university's would actually complain about a lack of a nickname that allegedly encourages racial insensitivity while ignoring and not complaining about other schools.

Recall, for sanctions to be in place, "other schools" must first complain to the NCAA according the Peter Johnson.

It only takes one.  SCSU would be the most logical choice o a school that has been very vocal against the Fighting Sioux name even before 2005.

You really don't think anyone complains about the FSU tomohawk chop and shenanigans at FSU football games?  Really?!!  They do.  Only difference is FSU got their required approval as laid out by the NCAA.  UND did not.  THat is the difference.

It only takes one.  SCSU would be the most logical choice o a school that has been very vocal against the Fighting Sioux name even before 2005.

You really don't think anyone complains about the FSU tomohawk chop and shenanigans at FSU football games?  Really?!!  They do.  Only difference is FSU got their required approval as laid out by the NCAA.  UND did not.  THat is the difference.

"(H)e was told -- just as a friendly word -- that if fans resumed using Sioux or Fighting Sioux, the NCAA believes it is possible that other schools might -- might -- complain and that, in turn, could result in sanctions," UND spokesman Peter Johnson said in the email.

That's a great assumption.  But even if St. Cloud were to take the time to complain to the NCAA about a school with no nickname, their complaint wouldn't necessarily result in sanctions.

Except that's absolutely not what the NCAA source allegedly told Peter Johnson.  We all get that your anti-North Dakota/UND and we're fine with that, but it becomes problematic when you start misrepresenting the truth.

You're picking and choosing on when things must be verbatim and what things can be read into is hilarious.  I'd love to hear how somehow, someone from within UND complaining to the NCAA would not garner the same scrutiny that someone complaining from another school would.  The NCAA listened to people within UND a decade ago, why wouldn't they this time around.

And as continuously stated and explained, the sanctions are not the only reason for picking a new nickname, they are one of many spelled out many groups of people including student athletes and athletic administrators.

Not at all.  But I'm not naïve enough to think that it is somehow unique to UND only and should be promoted as the main logo.  It works nicely as a secondary logo.

I'm suggesting the current logo arrangement, no changes.  It is unique.  That Notre Dame has a similar interlocking logo is as irrelevant as Minnesota and Michigan using big "M"s on their jerseys with different font.  The identity confusion with Notre Dame has gone on for decades and is generally from football fans unfamiliar with North Dakota.

I do have an interesting story to your point, however.  A waiter at a Chicago sports bar noticed my Fighting Sioux logo'd shirt and started talking about how great Jonathan Toews is for the Hawks.  He furthered his point by then talking about how great he was in college playing for Notre Dame.  I corrected him and he refused to believe it, insisting he followed college hockey and especially Notre Dame--  he knew what he was talking about.  I calmly suggested he do a quick research online and self educate.  But, even with the wildly popular Brien logo, there is still association with Notre Dame.  Far better that association than the countless times I'm asked about the great Bison hockey team and how awesome for Grand Forks to have 4 FCS titles, etc.

You're picking and choosing on when things must be verbatim and what things can be read into is hilarious.  I'd love to hear how somehow, someone from within UND complaining to the NCAA would not garner the same scrutiny that someone complaining from another school would.  The NCAA listened to people within UND a decade ago, why wouldn't they this time around.

We get it.  You pessimistically make the worst assumptions you can, just like you did about the settlement agreement, because your anti-North Dakota/UND.

• Upvote 1

The leadership has changed at SCSU - it was Roy H. Saigo that led that charge and even started a national committee against nicknames. Now that he is retired there is not a peek on campus. They are facing budget cuts and other issues that are much more important. In fact the finger has been pointed that perhaps Saigo should have paid more attention to on campus financial issues than nickname issues. 

• Upvote 1

We get it.  You pessimistically make the worst assumptions you can, just like you did about the settlement agreement, because your anti-North Dakota/UND.

I'm anti-"no nickname" and my stance and views comes from having personal conversations with multiple people within the University and athletic department that deal with this on a daily basis and are continuously affected by it.  Where do yours come from? 

For the record - I'm also anti-"University of North Dakota North Dakota", but only be cause its redundant and people keep thinking North Dakota is a nickname when its really the name of the institution.

I'm anti-"no nickname" and my stance and views comes from talking with people within the University and athletic department that deal with this on a daily basis and are continuously affected by it.  Where do yours come from? 

For the record - I'm also anti-"University of North Dakota North Dakota", but only be cause its redundant and people keep thinking North Dakota is a nickname when its really the name of the institution.

We get it.  When you can't come up with an actual thought out response to direct a question, type the same thing you just did and pretend you didn't see it.

• Upvote 1