SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Championship News

cberkas

Kieffer Bellows6-1 (185)195 (88)6/10/98LEdina, Minn.U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)2016 Draft Eligible
Paul Bittner6-4 (193)202 (92)11/4/96LCrookston, Minn.Portland Winterhawks (WHL)CBJ ('15, 2nd rd., 38th ovr.)
Anders Bjork5-11 (180)183 (83)8/5/96RMequon, Wis.University of Notre Dame (HEA)BOS ('14, 5th rd., 146th ovr.)
Brock Boeser6-0 (183)192 (87)2/25/97RBurnsville, Minn.University of North Dakota (NCHC)VAN ('15, 1st rd., 23rd ovr.)
Alex DeBrincat5-7 (170)161 (73)7/29/98LFarmington Hills, Mich.Erie Otters (OHL)2016 Draft Eligible
Ryan Donato6-1 (185)181 (82)4/9/96LScituate, Mass.Harvard University (ECAC Hockey)BOS ('14, 2nd rd., 56th ovr.)
Christian Dvorak6-0 (183)187 (85)2/2/96LPalos, Ill.London Knights (OHL)ARZ ('14, 2nd rd., 58th ovr.)
Scott Eansor5-8 (173)168 (76)1/3/96LEnglewood, Colo.Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)Free Agent
Ryan Hitchcock5-10 (178)170 (77)3/30/96LManhasset, N.Y.Yale University (ECAC Hockey)Free Agent
Clayton Keller5-10 (178)170 (77)7/29/98LSwansea, Ill.U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)2016 Draft Eligible
Auston Matthews6-0 (183)199 (90)9/17/97LScottsdale, Ariz.ZSC Lions (National A-Swiss)2016 Draft Eligible
Ryan MacInnis6-4 (193)185 (84)2/14/96LSt. Louis, Mo.Kitchener Rangers (OHL)ARZ ('14, 2nd rd., 43rd ovr.)
Sonny Milano5-11 (180)185 (85)5/12/96LMassapequa, N.Y.Lake Erie Monsters (AHL)CBJ ('14, 1st rd., 16th ovr.)
Nick Schmaltz6-0 (183)172 (78)2/23/96RVerona, Wis.University of North Dakota (NCHC)CHI ('14, 1st rd., 20th ovr.)
Matthew Tkachuk6-1 (185)188 (85)12/11/97LSt. Louis, Mo.London Knights (OHL)2016 Draft Eligible
Colin White6-0 (183)183 (83)1/30/97RHanover, Mass.Boston College (HEA)OTT ('15, 1st rd., 21st ovr.)

As we figured, Boeser and Schmaltz made the preliminary roster. I think both have an excellent chance at making the final roster.

Got to be happy with Schmaltz and Boeser making the prelim roster however as a bigtime USA hockey fan I am extremely disappointed with the makeup of the roster.  No Tuch, Roslovic, Conner, and Garland.  But they bring in a bunch of former NHL players' kids to play (obviously not talking about Tkachuk, he's great)?  Doesn't make a ton of sense.  Glad to see Borgen get a shot though.

Edited by scpa0305

Got to be happy with Schmaltz and Boeser making the prelim roster however as a bigtime USA hockey fan I am extremely disappointed with the makeup of the roster.  No Tuch, Roslovic, Conner, and Garland.  But they bring in a bunch of former NHL players' kids to play (obviously not talking about Tkachuk, he's great)?  Doesn't make a ton of sense.  Glad to see Borgen get a shot though.

I couldn't believe Tuch and Roslovic weren't on the roster...

If Carolina lets Hanifan play that changes the d look. Without him not sure how good that D core can be. top 6 forwards for USA are nice. Chemistry wise I'm sure nick and Brock will start out together. They will need to find their younger USA version of jewels ha. 

If Carolina lets Hanifan play that changes the d look. Without him not sure how good that D core can be. top 6 forwards for USA are nice. Chemistry wise I'm sure nick and Brock will start out together. They will need to find their younger USA version of jewels ha. 

It will be interesting to see if Nick plays Center? They only have 4 righties in the forward group which is why it is very surprising that Tuch, Garland, and Roslovic were all left off initial roster.

I don't follow CHL or USHL (NTDP) closely, so I can't judge whether those 4 belong ahead of guys currently on the roster.  It does seem like Tuch and Roslovic are misses though.  Who would you place those 4 ahead of?  Going purely off draft status (not the best measurement, necessarily) and current stats, what are Bjork, Eansor, and Hitchcock bringing to the team at the forward spot?  Grit? 

I don't follow CHL or USHL (NTDP) closely, so I can't judge whether those 4 belong ahead of guys currently on the roster.  It does seem like Tuch and Roslovic are misses though.  Who would you place those 4 ahead of?  Going purely off draft status (not the best measurement, necessarily) and current stats, what are Bjork, Eansor, and Hitchcock bringing to the team at the forward spot?  Grit? 

there is really no explanation. Kyle Conner is another snub, one of the best playerers in college hockey and he doesn't even make the prelim roster. Kid was the best ushl player last year. Feel bad for those kids. I also question USA hockey execs. Hopefully hanafin is able to play.

sounds like Tuch isn't having a year like he had last year, but had a knee injury this summer.  I have no idea how that may (or may not be) affecting his play but it's plausible that recovery has kept him from being the player he was, and may factor in to why he wasn't chosen for this near-term tourney.  Just paper scouting here, and offering one possible explanation

there is really no explanation. Kyle Conner is another snub, one of the best playerers in college hockey and he doesn't even make the prelim roster. Kid was the best ushl player last year. Feel bad for those kids. I also question USA hockey execs. Hopefully hanafin is able to play.

Conner and Tuch are the biggest surprises to me I thought they were absolute locks to make the team and the strange thing is both can play on basically any type of line you wanted to put them on. I also thought Roslovic, Fischer, and Garland deserved at the very least camp invites. The execs. are already being questioned by many and if we see another disappointing USA quarterfinal loss they will be questioned even more and deservedly so. I would put Conner, Tuch, Roslovic, Fischer, and Garland on the camp roster in place of MacInnis, Hitchcock, Eansor, Bjork, and either Bittner, Donato, or Bellows. 

Edited by SiouxScore

Conner and Tuch are the biggest surprises to me I thought they were absolute locks to make the team and the strange thing is both can play on basically any type of line you wanted to put them on. I also thought Roslovic, Fischer, and Garland deserved at the very least camp invites. The execs. are already being questioned by many and if we see another disappointing USA quarterfinal loss they will be questioned even more and deservedly so. I would put Conner, Tuch, Roslovic, Fischer, and Garland on the camp roster in place of MacInnis, Hitchcock, Eansor, Bjork, and either Bittner, Donato, or Bellows. 

Completely agree, very respectable journalists are calling the USA leadership out.  The biggest mystery to me is this Eansor kid.

sounds like Tuch isn't having a year like he had last year, but had a knee injury this summer.  I have no idea how that may (or may not be) affecting his play but it's plausible that recovery has kept him from being the player he was, and may factor in to why he wasn't chosen for this near-term tourney.  Just paper scouting here, and offering one possible explanation

Yeah, he had a bad injury this summer and obviously isn't quite the same however he is still having an average year (which isn't bad by taking a peek at his numbers).  Either way, how isn't he picked over this Eansor kid. Unfortunately I think there is politcs going on here.

Yeah, he had a bad injury this summer and obviously isn't quite the same however he is still having an average year (which isn't bad by taking a peek at his numbers).  Either way, how isn't he picked over this Eansor kid. Unfortunately I think there is politcs going on here.

Cripes, this is supposed to be about winning Gold Medals and sticking it to our neighbors north of the 49th parallel. If this nonsense keeps us from winning Medals (preferably Gold), then some changes need to be made at the top. :angry:

Cripes, this is supposed to be about winning Gold Medals and sticking it to our neighbors north of the 49th parallel. If this nonsense keeps us from winning Medals (preferably Gold), then some changes need to be made at the top. :angry:

read a rumor that Kyle Conner has never been in good graces with USA hockey (i.e. Didn't play for the NTDP) so he was out. 16 pts in 13 games as a true frosh. 1st rounder who slipped to 17th overall.

read a rumor that Kyle Conner has never been in good graces with USA hockey (i.e. Didn't play for the NTDP) so he was out. 16 pts in 13 games as a true frosh. 1st rounder who slipped to 17th overall.

He was on the USA under 18 and 19 teams for the Ivan Hlinka and WJC.  Seems to have as much of a connection with USA hockey as Boeser.

He was on the USA under 18 and 19 teams for the Ivan Hlinka and WJC.  Seems to have as much of a connection with USA hockey as Boeser.

yeah I guess. Dilks noted there was some sort of rift. Either way, I'm not the only one saying USA hockey botched this though. They were supposed to be weak on D but loaded up front. Either way they should be solid but definitely head scratching choices for sure. Hopefully the can medal.

Remember, its the right players, not the best players.  I see quite a few Seattle T-Birds games.  Eansor is a very nice player- playing against a bunch of Team Canada's likely players on a 3x/week basis.  He isn't razzle dazzle, but he is very solid two-way with some nice upside.  He was hurt for part of the season.  

The Canadian team will be stacked- we need to think about how we beat a team with more talent- its about the right character and guys buying into the right roles.

• Upvote 1

Remember, its the right players, not the best players.  I see quite a few Seattle T-Birds games.  Eansor is a very nice player- playing against a bunch of Team Canada's likely players on a 3x/week basis.  He isn't razzle dazzle, but he is very solid two-way with some nice upside.  He was hurt for part of the season.  

The Canadian team will be stacked- we need to think about how we beat a team with more talent- its about the right character and guys buying into the right roles.

Yeah, Canada tried that for awhile and overthought the process.  Last year they stacked the team with the best U20 players and took gold.  I get what you're saying but no one can say there weren't politics involved here.  Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, etc. are wondering what the heck the USA leaders were doing as far as their thought process.  Many of the 19 year old first rounders they cut could play multiple roles.  They at least deserved to make the prelim roster.  Regardless of this team's outcome, I still question the thought process and I feel bad for some of these kids who should have been locks.  Still hoping for the best though.

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 1

I don't know enough about all the players, but I have to think that the coaches have the gold medal in mind ahead of any perceived politics...remember Hockey Canada threatened Toews with no WJC if he went NCAA over CHL, then they realized what a complete stud he was, and figured gold over politics.

Per Hf USA roster talk

guessing brocks play along side bellow sad some point. Edina 

Lines at practice today are:

Tkachuk - Matthews - DeBrincat
Milano - White - Dvorak
Bellows - Schmaltz - Boeser
Donato - MacInnis - Bjork
Eansor - Keller - Hitchcock

Pairings:

Werenski - Carlo
Krys - McAvoy
Belpedio - Borgen