SiouxSports.com Forum

Really ESPN, Really?!?!

cberkas

ESPN aired on ESPN2 last night, a video game tournament called "Heroes of the Dorm". Where for 2 hours ESPN showed college students playing the game Heroes of the Storm, and online multiplayer game, and had actual commentary.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/viewers-freak-espn2-airs-video-game-tournament-article-1.2200403

Shhhhhh.... don't talk about it. If we don't acknowledge the nonsense it just goes away.

As much as I understand the reasoning for this post ( I am of the "older" generation, now too ), this will become more common.  Grew up gaming, and never thought would see this happen.  Personally know a kid (14-15) that gave up on competitive athletics, had ability to get to college, and decided to become a competitive gamer.  He makes good money playing Call of Duty (shooting (war ties) genre for those not familiar). He plays other games with his team, but I dont know what they are, just seen him play CoD.  There are many channels on YouTube and Twitch dedicated to gaming. As my grandfather would say shaking his head "this is the world we live in."

But the kid is doing what he loves and is prosperous, so hey, good for him.

• Upvote 1

As much as I understand the reasoning for this post ( I am of the "older" generation, now too ), this will become more common. Grew up gaming, and never thought would see this happen. Personally know a kid (14-15) that gave up on competitive athletics, had ability to get to college, and decided to become a competitive gamer. He makes good money playing Call of Duty (shooting (war ties) genre for those not familiar). He plays other games with his team, but I dont know what they are, just seen him play CoD. There are many channels on YouTube and Twitch dedicated to gaming. As my grandfather would say shaking his head "this is the world we live in."

I use to be a pinball wizard back in the day too. Didn't pay real well though. :(

As much as I understand the reasoning for this post ( I am of the "older" generation, now too ), this will become more common.  Grew up gaming, and never thought would see this happen.  Personally know a kid (14-15) that gave up on competitive athletics, had ability to get to college, and decided to become a competitive gamer.  He makes good money playing Call of Duty (shooting (war ties) genre for those not familiar). He plays other games with his team, but I dont know what they are, just seen him play CoD.  There are many channels on YouTube and Twitch dedicated to gaming. As my grandfather would say shaking his head "this is the world we live in."

I have a family member that is a Halo pro..  makes a nice living.  I was amazed at his eye for the graphics and how he could see the game and its flaws and of course to exploit them.  Lets just say he crushed me when we played.  It is a very interesting profession.  He talked about the struggle he had with the career and balancing the enjoyment of playing the games versus making it his job.  A couple of days later, I was talking to a couple of friends about this topic and how interesting it was and they complained about how their sons and their friends watch - YouTube channels of gamers and they actually followed them like pro athletes.  So, I would say get used to seeing this - you are going to see more and more of it.

Edited by FSSD

I have a family member that is a Halo pro.. makes a nice living. I was amazed at his eye for the graphics and how he could see the game and its flaws and of course to exploit them. Lets just say he crushed me when we played. It is a very interesting profession. He talked about the struggle he had with the career and balancing the enjoyment of playing the games versus making it his job. A couple of days later, I was talking to a couple of friends about this topic and how interesting it was and they complained about how there sons and there friends watch - YouTube channels of gamers and they actually followed them like pro athletes. So, I would say get used to seeing this - your going to see more and more of it.

Starcraft is pretty much a religion in Korea. FIFA and NCAA football have both been religious for me in the past

its a niche sport

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but...

It would be interesting to see numbers on hockey vs. pro-gaming viewership.  Not sure what would be realistic comparison, but I know there is a very large gaming community, and the pro-gamers and followers keep growing.  

Not blasting hockey, I know what it means to UND, but by definition, it too is a niche sport.

It would be interesting to see numbers on hockey vs. pro-gaming viewership.  Not sure what would be realistic comparison, but I know there is a very large gaming community, and the pro-gamers and followers keep growing.  

Not blasting hockey, I know what it means to UND, but by definition, it too is a niche sport.

My boyfriend is a gamer and watches online streams.  When you log into a stream, the website generally says how many viewers are watching at that given moment.  When the Starcraft world championship was played a couple weeks ago, there were 300,00 people already watching when we logged in.  I can't remember the specific number, but I remember being surprised by how huge it was.

My boyfriend is a gamer and watches online streams. When you log into a stream, the website generally says how many viewers are watching at that given moment. When the Starcraft world championship was played a couple weeks ago, there were 300,00 people already watching when we logged in. I can't remember the specific number, but I remember being surprised by how huge it was.

StarCraft is nuts. I have the game... I'm terrible at it but I like playing the campaign. Friend played online and was ranked fairly high, the amount of button clicking and pounding on his keyboard is insane. Honestly the time commitment they put in is pretty impressive.

StarCraft is nuts. I have the game... I'm terrible at it but I like playing the campaign. Friend played online and was ranked fairly high, the amount of button clicking and pounding on his keyboard is insane. Honestly the time commitment they put in is pretty impressive.

Yep.  I used to mock gamers until I started dating one haha (and even then mocked it for the first month or two).  I haven't watched enough StarCraft to fully understand it, but I actually really enjoyed watching some of the professional League of Legends games.  I was surprised to discover that there's fantasy leagues for the LoL season just like for hockey, football, etc.

Yeah, that was my joke.  Poor delivery  ;)

My boyfriend is a gamer and watches online streams.  When you log into a stream, the website generally says how many viewers are watching at that given moment.  When the Starcraft world championship was played a couple weeks ago, there were 300,00 people already watching when we logged in.  I can't remember the specific number, but I remember being surprised by how huge it was.

I'm surprised it was only 300,000.  Korea goes crazy over that game.