SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

53 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Yep. B10/NCHC partnership will not happen. They will want to dictate the terms and get the preferential treatment. Which will definitely not fly with NCHC teams. Which it shouldn't. This isn't football or basketball.

Honestly, I would rather have a NCHC/WCHA partnership but from sounds of the articles that have floated this idea, NCHC officials don't seem keen on the idea.

I just don't know if you gain a lot with the WCHA partnership as far as great attendance.  I suppose that partnership would allow the Big Ten to ask for whatever they want in terms of percentage of gate and scheduling because I think the WCHA would capitulate to any demands to be associated with the Big Ten.

12 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I rarely her Kloos' name called during the games I watch.

I think Fasching should have been the captain over Kloos.

I'm not going to argue over who should or should not be captain because I have no clue how each of them are behind the scenes. I do know that kloos is good. I watch the gophs a lot. Their opponents are always my second favorite college team. :)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, tnt said:

I just don't know if you gain a lot with the WCHA partnership as far as great attendance.  I suppose that partnership would allow the Big Ten to ask for whatever they want in terms of percentage of gate and scheduling because I think the WCHA would capitulate to any demands to be associated with the Big Ten.

Whatever happens, the conference tournaments cannot continue as they are. They are not sustainable in the long-term. The Big Ten needs to get over it's messiah complex with regard to college hockey; this isn't basketball or football. They are in no position to dictate terms about anything with regard to college hockey and they had better get over that and get used to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While the NCHC is definitely the premier conference for now, it does seem like it's only a matter of time until Miami and Western form a MAC-based regional conference again.  With Alaska teams having an uncertain future as well, we need to enjoy what we have for the time being before further realignment takes place.  I can see us losing the CO schools to a western schools conference when more start up.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Starman doing the Arizona State call tonight, could it be a telling sign what conference they will join.

I think I remember reading that they would announce their conference affiliation shortly after their season ends.
Something about wanting the recruits to know which league they'd be in.

So we should find out shortly.

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

Maine gave Gendron a two year contract extension, I think Maine fans might have wish they kept Tim Whitehead.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hockey-east/2016/2/19/11060234/maine-hockey-red-gendron-extended-through-2018-2019

I think Gendron will turn the program around.  He's actually received several nice commitments recently.

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

Starman doing the Arizona State call tonight, could it be a telling sign what conference they will join.

I'd say not to read anything more into that than Starman got a free weekend for him and the wife in Phoenix in February. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why? Everyone would know at least one year in advance when and where it would take place. Or maybe NCHC and WCHA? Whatever happens, the current format is not sustainable for any of these leagues.

I'm saying game day scheduling. 

Fri at ... Noon(?) for WCHA Semi #1; 3 pm B1G Semi #1; 6 pm WCHA Semi #2; 9 pm B1G Semi #2 ... 

You could try a Thu/Sat (B1G) and Fri/Sun (WCHA) format, but do folks want to hang around to Sunday? 

Just now, GreenWing said:

Could Conference tournaments go away? Not saying I think they will but I'm just curious if it's a decision each individual conference can make or if the NCAA rules require them all to have one 

Conferences have assigned their auto-bid to the post-season conference tournament winner to keep hope alive to the end of the season for teams that haven't done the work to make the NCAA's already. 

In the past some BB conferences that didn't do a post-season tourney gave the auto-bid to the regular season champ.

In a hockey with PWR world (in a solid conference) that's redundant (save for the year CC won the WCHA and stayed home). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why? Everyone would know at least one year in advance when and where it would take place. Or maybe NCHC and WCHA? Whatever happens, the current format is not sustainable for any of these leagues.

You definitely would have to add a day to the tournament, and even then you would have to have games at odd hours.  Would you be o.k. with a 10:00 a.m. game for UND on Thursday?