SiouxSports.com Forum

Hak vs Blais

UND83

It's called confirmation bias, and it is something we all have to be careful to avoid.  Tavris and Aronson wrote an excellent book on it called "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)," which is an excellent read for everyone. 

If my school has a coach who has lost control of his players or is consistently performing poorly, like missing the tournament consistently, I would probably conclude that he needs to go and that it will not be very difficult to replace him with a person who will do better.  If I have a coach who ranks in the top three coaches nationwide in win percentage, frozen four appearances, etc, but I can identify a coaching flaw that leads me to conclude that coach will probably never win a banner, I will strongly consider firing him, but I would be very careful about it and would have to be convinced that the replacement is likely to be better, all things considered.   That is a tougher call the better the current coach is performing. 

I think it is amusing when posters here complain that they cannot criticize Hakstol.   I don't think I'm alone in saying people should be able to freely criticize him, but if that criticism is limited to personal frustration that we haven't won a banner, then be prepared for others to expect you to identify the basis in terms more helpful than "he hasn't won one yet."    To say that people are being shouted down so they cannot criticize Hak is creating a strawman.  

I have stated that I think he is a great program coach, perhaps the best we have ever had, but I'm not convinced he has reached the point where his game coaching has reached that level.   He has certainly done both jobs well this year.   Up to this point, he should be in the running for coach of the year.   But we will see how we do in Boston.   If we win two games, that will be all some people need.  If we lose, I will want to  know what the better-informed hockey people identify as the reason.   Either way, I really like this bunch and what the coaching staff has done with them.  

My reason for not needing a rationale in terminating a coaching relationship, besides it just not being required, is that fans do not know what goes on in locker rooms. They don't see specifics like how coaches relate to players at scrimmages or what they say in big game situations out of the public eye; or when a team may be behind & need a coach's input to reverse the momentum. All fans see are lost games with teams that are very talented; year after year. So fans go by end results, which is all they can really go by.

So I can sort of watch a Sioux hockey game in a FF & lend my perspective about what I'm observing; and 20 other Sioux fans may watch the same game & come up with 20 different conclusions on why we lost. And each perspective may be valid, it's just that the other 20 fans were not focusing on the same trend or flaw in the Sioux game as I was.

You said something about being willing to replace a head coach if you notice a coaching flaw in how he handles big game situations. But whose responsibility is it to recognize these flaws or nuances of a coach's perspective which will make it very difficult for that coach to ever win a title? The athletic director? If so, it may take a long time for the guard to change if he's personal friends with the coach & winning it all is a secondary priority (unless the boosters start screaming, I suppose).

The part I agreed about most in your post was the difference between being a good program coach & being a good game coach. I thought that was a very good way of looking at the different ways in how a coach can excel at the collegiate level. It's also difficult to argue for a coach's release if different parties are going by these separate standards for judging success. The former for Hakstol is obvious, I think it's obvious he excels at being a great program coach, there should be no debating that because facts speak for themselves. But the latter is obviously something he hasn't mastered yet on the big stage & something Sioux fans want to see changed. As a fan I don't know if that current lack of a title is something attributed to coaching skill, bad luck or a blend of both. I call it "getting over the hump" & I think the law of averages dictates that with his loaded teams he will eventually bring it all home someday. I mean, if the REA isn't cursed by being built on an old indian burial mound & it has nothing to do with his coaching style, you'd think luck would have to change eventually. : )

• Upvote 1

I didn't imply that I wanted a divorce from Sioux hockey, just trying to understand your rationale.

In the examples I stated, both were because expectations were not achieved. And in both cases, it is not necessary to go into detail about why they are ending a relationship with the other person/party, which was my point. Coaches get fired all the time for not producing, do you call every one of these terminations "whining"? I bet they were given the pink slip BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T WIN THE BIG ONE, especially with teams like the Cowboys & Yankees on the pro level. And if I'm not mistaken, all of these other coaches are not given intricate explanations about why they are not needed. "You didn't produce" or "the players can't relate to you anymore" are the usual storylines, but nothing of "You only incorporated the neutral zone trap in 60% of your games & against teams with a PWR between 5 & 10 nationally; leading to a transparent coaching style which the other teams could easily see & adapt to accordingly."  :D

The bolded portion of your post also applies to programs like Alabama and Ohio State FB.  Beat your main rivals (Auburn and Michigan, respectively) and contend for (and occasionally win) national titles or you are gone.

It scares me that these Hak haters have the ability to drive and vote in our society.

Lunacy.

Diversity of people is held in higher regard than diversity of thought.

If people have a thought that differs from the herd, it's usually bop them over the head with a mallet like you see at those arcades where something pops out of a hole & you have to hit it, then something else pops its head out & you have to beat that over the head also. It's like "fightingsioux4life" & I keep popping our heads out of holes & keep gettin' our melons banged. Conform or ...   :D

• Upvote 1

If people have a thought that differs from the herd, it's usually bop them over the head with a mallet like you see at those arcades where something pops out of a hole & you have to hit it, then something else pops its head out & you have to beat that over the head also. It's like "fightingsioux4life" & I keep popping our heads out of holes & keep gettin' our melons banged. :D

Diversity of thought may be desirable in society to a degree but only when the opinions that differ are in the realm of reason.

But when people constantly spew forth idiocraty, yes the society as a whole has a responsibility to "bop the heads" of destructive stupidity.

That's what we have lost in this country, is it ability to stand up and say; No you're just wrong and deserve to learn through the shame of it.

The dunce cap worked, and it's needed again, here more than ever.

Diversity of thought may be desirable in society to a degree but only when the opinions that differ are in the realm of reason.

But when people constantly spew forth idiocraty, yes the society as a whole has a responsibility to "bop the heads" of destructive stupidity.

That's what we have lost in this country, is it ability to stand up and say; No you're just wrong and deserve to learn through the shame of it.

The dunce cap worked, and it's needed again, here more than ever.

You're funny in a "1984" kind of way.

I didn't imply that screaming fire in a movie theater qualified as diversity of thought, but to label others' opinions as "destructive stupidity" (when it comes to simple differences in how coaches are perceived) is comical on your part. Seriously, man, you would rather shut people up who don't agree with your opinion on a head coach? If the opinion differs from yours & the masses about a hockey coach, people need to be shamed. Wow, thanks for your input, comrade.

Your version of reason is the correct version, you seem unable to respect or appreciate anything that deviates from your standard.

• Upvote 1

I didn't imply that screaming fire in a movie theater qualified as diversity of thought, but to label others' opinions as "destructive stupidity" (when it comes to simple differences in how coaches are perceived) is comical on your part. Seriously, man, you would rather shut people up who don't agree with your opinion on a head coach? If the opinion differs from yours & the masses about a hockey coach, people need to be shamed. Wow, thanks for your input, comrade.

Your version of reason is the correct version, you seem unable to respect or appreciate anything that deviates from your standard.

I get what you're trying to convey...however nothing you say will change the thinking on this forum.  The slightest bit of criticism towards Hak will get you blasted on this site.  You will instantly get thrown into the "Hak hater" bucket. I wouldn't even go there, you're just wasting your time.

• Upvote 3

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand (of your) words.

Sometimes a picture is used to convey thoughts for one lacking in vocabulary or a creative imagination. 

If my wordy posts get under your skin so much, just don't read them & focus instead on something more palpable like gfhockey's posts. Geesh.  :D

If people have a thought that differs from the herd, it's usually bop them over the head with a mallet like you see at those arcades where something pops out of a hole & you have to hit it, then something else pops its head out & you have to beat that over the head also. It's like "fightingsioux4life" & I keep popping our heads out of holes & keep gettin' our melons banged. Conform or ...   :D

.....just hang by the pool in Arizona, making watches,smoking cats, howling at the moon.

I get what you're trying to convey...however nothing you say will change the thinking on this forum.  The slightest bit of criticism towards Hak will get you blasted on this site.  You will instantly get thrown into the "Hak hater" bucket. I wouldn't even go there, you're just wasting your time.

I know & I understand, what started last night as a back-&-forth hypothetical with "burd" has turned into an onslaught of those who don't like the status quo challenged, even if it was just random talk & not directed at Coach Hakstol. At least people are revealing their true colors here, so it's not all in vain.

Sometimes a picture is used to convey thoughts for one lacking in vocabulary or a creative imagination. 

If my wordy posts get under your skin so much, just don't read them & focus instead on something more palpable like gfhockey's posts. Geesh.  :D

My favorite sports team has a huge game coming up in 3 games.  I like to focus my energy there instead of something so repetitive as banging my head against the same wall you seem to have dented repeatedly.

Where's that beating a dead horse gif when you need it?

My favorite sports team has a huge game coming up in 3 games.  I like to focus my energy there instead of something so repetitive as banging my head against the same wall you seem to have dented repeatedly.

Where's that beating a dead horse gif when you need it?

I was talking with "burd" about how coaches are perceived & wasn't implying anything about Hakstol being fired.

If I want to bang my head repeatedly, that's my prerogative. It's also your prerogative to ignore me, which I highly encourage as you seem easily irritated. In fact, I really would like for you to put me on ignore so you don't stroke out over some stranger's words before the big game.

My guys are also playing in 3 days & I'll be cheering them on just as you are. 

No, having differing opinions is ok, but there us a difference between having a different opinion.....and just flat out being wrong.

People disagreeing on the color of sunset being purplish vs. Lavenderish....is a difference of opinion.

Thinking that the sun is warm cheese and spins out grape fruit snacks is just wrong and insane...

what I'm saying is that it can't be acceptable to hold that "opinion" against rational thought and "respect the point of view"...

To these folk who blather again and again about "nattys" Hak is your warm cheese, I don't respect that opinion, and it's not funny.

Now or in 1984.

Okay lets say,worst case, we lose on Thursday or Saturday and everybody gets out their pitchforks and torches and we all chant "Fire Hak,Fire Hak, Fire Hak." and the University falls to peer pressure and faison says, "Hak after all your success we are going to let you hit the bricks."  Than the 2015-2016 season rolls around and we go 15-24-1 which hak never came close to going we are all going to grab our pitchforks and go after this new coach chanting " Fire ----, Fire ----, Fire ----"  I would rather go through a winning season with a coach who at the end of the season always comes close than a coach that doesn't even get us a sniff of the Big Cheese. AND I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE THE SMELL OF CHEESE!!!!!! and eventually we will even get to taste that cheese.Cheese-Smell.jpg

No having differing opinions I'd ok but there us a difference between having a different opinion.....and just flat out being wrong.

People disagreeing on the color of sunset being purplish vs. Lavenderish....is a difference of opinion.

Thinking that the sun is warm cheese and spins out grape fruit snacks is just wrong and insane...

what I'm saying is that it can't be acceptable to hold that "opinion" against rational thought and "respect the point of view"...

To these folk who blather again and again about "nattys" Hak is your warm cheese, I don't respect that opinion, and it's not funny.

Now or in

So you determine when it's just a difference of opinion and when it is flat out-wrong & insane? LOL. How is my interpretation of the sunset any different than or more wrong than my interpretation of a head coach? Oops, I forgot, my bad, you're the arbiter of such. Of course I'm not schizophrenic or psychotic & don't see or experience any hallucinations, that's completely irrelevant & equating someone's opinion to be so just demonstrates how rigid & intolerant you are in your thinking.

Like I said, you seem incapable of tolerating any opinion which deviates from your standards. You couch your reasons with different analogies, but it all boils down to you not respecting what someone else thinks on as basic & inane level as that of a hockey coach. To compare my interpretation on how long a coach's leash should be with a schizophrenic who thinks the sun is warm cheese is just too weird.  :bigsmile:

If you want to continue digging a hole, a backhoe is more efficient than a shovel.

• Upvote 1