SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Minnesota

bincitysioux

Leading scorer looked to be getting lost defensively in half court, and MN was accounting for him when he was on offense.

More problematic was lack of size and defensive ability in post. That is going to be an issue.

Overall tho, started well and players kept working most of game. Could tell they were getting tired tho. Work together becoming a team, get better, and go for next year...

I only hope our rotation changes as we go into the Big Sky because if it continues like it did tonight we are going to lose many games in the closing minutes.  We have Hooker, DeReon, Tyler and Antwi basically all point guards.  With these 4 guards we can run hard at any team in the Big Sky if we rotate.  We have Hooker , DeReon and Tyler in the game at the same time and Hooker was gone by the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half.  Start Hooker, DeReon at the 1 and 2 with Coleman at the 3 and Nash at the 4 and Calcaterra at the 5 and run.  Bring in tyler and Antwi at the first break and run them hard with Hobaugh at the 3.  I see no difference in Hooker, DeReon and Tyler as far as talent so not one of these need to play 36+ minutes and have no gas at the end.  To be honest I would rate them in this order of DeReon, Tyler and then Hooker.  We have speed and depth at posiitons 1 thru 4 so why not use them all and run.  Once Stefen is available it even adds more depth and speed so he can be at the 3 and move Hobaugh to the 4 to back up Nash.  Maybe I'm way off but after watching tonight our rotation sucks.

I only hope our rotation changes as we go into the Big Sky because if it continues like it did tonight we are going to lose many games in the closing minutes.  We have Hooker, DeReon, Tyler and Antwi basically all point guards.  With these 4 guards we can run hard at any team in the Big Sky if we rotate.  We have Hooker , DeReon and Tyler in the game at the same time and Hooker was gone by the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half.  Start Hooker, DeReon at the 1 and 2 with Coleman at the 3 and Nash at the 4 and Calcaterra at the 5 and run.  Bring in tyler and Antwi at the first break and run them hard with Hobaugh at the 3.  I see no difference in Hooker, DeReon and Tyler as far as talent so not one of these need to play 36+ minutes and have no gas at the end.  To be honest I would rate them in this order of DeReon, Tyler and then Hooker.  We have speed and depth at posiitons 1 thru 4 so why not use them all and run.  Once Stefen is available it even adds more depth and speed so he can be at the 3 and move Hobaugh to the 4 to back up Nash.  Maybe I'm way off but after watching tonight our rotation sucks.

Hooker is fine. He can really dish the ball and set people up, but they need to learn how to catch the damn ball and be ready for it.

The ESPNU guys were saying nice things about our young guys, and despite the score we won't see this type of talent in the Big Sky. I hope they're right and we can put this game up as a learning tool for conference play. I knew UND was going to get blown out but it showed the players didn't quit and played hard to the end. The announcers said that too.

• Upvote 1

I would think the rotation was a 1 time deal.

God I hope Shanks is the answer at the 5.

I have heard Shanks likes to face the basket and shoot 10-15 feet and with his slim build is not a banger.  We need a big body banger underneath and I really don't think Shanks can do that from what I've heard.  I also think our rotation was poor last night with the speed we have at the guards.  You could tell Hooker was done early in the 4th as he committed lazy turnovers late in the game, 7 total.  Run each guard hard for about 28 minutes each and I think we could be really solid.  I have to agree the guys played hard and I do believe we will be fine in the Big Sky once we get thru this month's schedule. 

Hooker and de Rouen are both playing banged up, could definitely tell watching them try to get up and down the court last night.  Even if they were both at 120%, it wouldn't have made a difference, we didn't have the size or the defense to stop UM's inside game last night.