SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo the new Detroit??

Sioux-cia

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Very sad how much crime has risen just in the past couple years, yes growth is a factor but people's values have to be in question.

Low lifes have no values.

This newscast has Red River Valley refugees up in arms...http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/Health-risks-of-resettlement-include-rising-rates-of-tuberculosis-infection-379725921.html

and how is it related to area crime? (for the Bison fans who need everything spelled out for them as they only see things at face value :p)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/crime-and-courts/4036723-man-who-started-juba-fire-pleads-guilty-federal-hate-crime

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

So Fargo struck a fiber optic line during construction. Now it's affecting grand forks and Polk counties. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/4070150-construction-accident-disrupts-grand-forks-phone-service

How is this related to crime in Fargo?  Or are you just wanting to point out Fargo is full of idiots

The Twin Cities are going through a rough time with Philando Castile death.  Was horrified when I first heard of it but now not so sure.

Apparently, he and his GF were stopped because they matched suspects of a convenience store armed robbery days earlier right down the street.

Castile did not have a concealed carry permit according to Ramsey County nor was his car stopped because of a broken tail light. Those were lies perpetrated by his GF that caused on uproar and deaths through much of the country.  He appeared to be a passenger but the video was inverted to make it appear so.

Also, the Somali gangs that are terrorizing Lake Calhoun neighborhoods by threatening rape and Sharia law have not been reported by the media.

Castile did have a concealed carry permit from Hennepin County, as he used to live in Robbinsdale.  This was reported by the Star Tribune, but it still hasn't reported why he was stopped for suspicion of an armed convenience store robbery.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Twin Cities are going through a rough time with Philando Castile death.  Was horrified when I first heard of it but now not so sure.

Apparently, he and his GF were stopped because they matched suspects of a convenience store armed robbery days earlier right down the street.

Castile did not have a concealed carry permit according to Ramsey County nor was his car stopped because of a broken tail light. Those were lies perpetrated by his GF that caused on uproar and deaths through much of the country.  He appeared to be a passenger but the video was inverted to make it appear so.

Also, the Somali gangs that are terrorizing Lake Calhoun neighborhoods by threatening rape and Sharia law have not been reported by the media.

The Star Tribune did some actual fact checking.  He didn't get his concealed carry permit from Ramsey county; he got it from Hennepin county.  The Ramsey County Sheriff, in the same twitter feed that said he didn't get it from Ramsey county, acknowledged very clearly that he could have gotten it from a different county.  The reporting in the article you are referencing is so sloppy, I'm not sure how much weight should be given to it.  

2 hours ago, 207Sioux said:

The Star Tribune did some actual fact checking.  He didn't get his concealed carry permit from Ramsey county; he got it from Hennepin county.  The Ramsey County Sheriff, in the same twitter feed that said he didn't get it from Ramsey county, acknowledged very clearly that he could have gotten it from a different county.  The reporting in the article you are referencing is so sloppy, I'm not sure how much weight should be given to it.  

The Star Tribune checked enough to concoct a story about how Philando was such a wonderful cook at a school.

But his Facebook posting show gang connections.  Police reaction to an armed robbery suspect in a car is much different than to a broken tail light.  Hispanic cops are supposedly much less racist than white cops, according to the libtards.

Dayton helped escalate the incident so many cops were shut around the country.  

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Star Tribune checked enough to concoct a story about how Philando was such a wonderful cook at a school.

But his Facebook posting show gang connections.  Police reaction to an armed robbery suspect in a car is much different than to a broken tail light.  Hispanic cops are supposedly much less racist than white cops, according to the libtards.

Dayton helped escalate the incident so many cops were shut around the country.  

What evidence do you have that he wasn't a wonderful school cook?  Clearly a number of people who knew him disagree with you.  

What evidence do you have that he has gang affiliations?  I just looked up his facebook page. His posts aren't public, so I would be interested to know how someone was able to find said affiliations on the page.  

What evidence do you have that Dayton's comments in any way are linked to any cop being shot?

Insulting people's political beliefs (libtard) is against site policy and is poor quality argument.  When what you have is insult, you don't have a lot of go on.  

The studies on subconscious racial bias show that it is widespread and that the bias tends to associate blackness with criminality.  This is true of even many African Americans.  Someone doesn't have to be consciously racist to have those associations, but those associations do affect how people react.  

He wasn't a robbery suspect.  He resembled the person who committed the robbery.  It's a big difference.  

Police do shoot black people at a much higher rate than white people and studies indicate that criminality doesn't explain this difference.  http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0141854

1 hour ago, 207Sioux said:

What evidence do you have that he wasn't a wonderful school cook?  Clearly a number of people who knew him disagree with you.  

What evidence do you have that he has gang affiliations?  I just looked up his facebook page. His posts aren't public, so I would be interested to know how someone was able to find said affiliations on the page.  

What evidence do you have that Dayton's comments in any way are linked to any cop being shot?

Insulting people's political beliefs (libtard) is against site policy and is poor quality argument.  When what you have is insult, you don't have a lot of go on.  

The studies on subconscious racial bias show that it is widespread and that the bias tends to associate blackness with criminality.  This is true of even many African Americans.  Someone doesn't have to be consciously racist to have those associations, but those associations do affect how people react.  

He wasn't a robbery suspect.  He resembled the person who committed the robbery.  It's a big difference.  

Police do shoot black people at a much higher rate than white people and studies indicate that criminality doesn't explain this difference.  http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0141854

All your comments and Dayton's comments are part of the problem because you have already made judgements based on the media, not by a court of law.  I agree that Philando should have been granted the same rights with regards to innocence to a armed robbery, but the cops still need to take precautions when stopping an armed man.  When presented with a different side that the media has presented, you get angry at me.  It's like the rule of law and presumption of innocence doesn't apply to Jeronimo because he shot and killed a black man.

More cops are killed by black men than black men are killed by cops, but the media never mentions that.  Why?

Too many of the black community think whites are always out to get them.  The media and Democrats always play the race card as you do here.  I haved lived in and near a predominantly black community.  When the OJ Simpson verdict was announced there was major celebration, bigger than anything Ive seen spontaneously, because a black man won, not because justice won.  If one expressed sadness at the verdict, one was a labeled racist.  Justice should be colorblind, but liberal democrats don't allow it.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

All your comments and Dayton's comments are part of the problem because you have already made judgements based on the media, not by a court of law.

I'm not assuming the cop was necessarily guilty.  I just have a problem with the narrative that the person who was shot was criminal, i.e. gang affiliations, without proof of that claim.  You have made assumptions about the character of the person who was shot and furthered the narrative of those who want to justify the killing via a character attack on the victim.  

I agree that Philando should have been granted the same rights with regards to innocence to a armed robbery, but the cops still need to take precautions when stopping an armed man.  

Yes, police do need to take precautions when someone has a gun, but if we are going to live in a society in which carrying guns in public is legal, we need to be able to trust cops to make good judgments about how they interact with people who have guns.  He was legally carrying a gun.  He informed the officer of that.  Most cops can respond in an appropriate manner.  While there is still a lot of information yet to gather, the information that is currently available suggests the officer overreacted and shot someone he shouldn't have.  More evidence may very well come to light that changes this assumption.

When presented with a different side that the media has presented, you get angry at me. 

I'm not mad at you.  I found your arguments to be less than compelling because you didn't offer proof for many of the claims that you were making.  We're having a dialogue.  

It's like the rule of law and presumption of innocence doesn't apply to Jeronimo because he shot and killed a black man.

This oversimplifies the issue.  Presumption of innocence specifically applies to someone's rights in relationship to the government and how our court system operates.  It doesn't mean that people can't make personal judgments about something.  With what is currently known, I think he overreacted.  If new information comes to light I will alter my assumption accordingly.  Having this opinion does nothing to violate his rights.  He will still be presumed innocent if the case goes to trial.  Part of the problem is that police involved shootings very seldom reach the point where a jury can make the judgment in a court of law.  Prosecutors have an inherent conflict of interest because they need to have a good working relationship with police.  When they do go to court, juries usually provide a great deal of deference to police officers.  Officers seldom face significant repercussions at work even when they violate policy in a shooting.  Most police officers are good people who try their best to do a good job; however, when officers who do bad things aren't  punished, it calls into question the legitimacy of the entire system.  

More cops are killed by black men than black men are killed by cops, but the media never mentions that.  Why?

More cops are killed by white men than by black men.  I recently read an article that indicated 71% of officers shot this year were shot by white men and most commonly as a result of responding to a domestic violence situation (sorry, I can't find the link right now).  We don't hear a lot about that in the news either.  White people also kill police because of anti-government beliefs like these two http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/09/las-vegas-shooting-officers-dead-possible-white-supremacists.html  Even so the shooting death of a police officer is relatively rare.  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36748136

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Too many of the black community think whites are always out to get them.  

The link I provided in the previous post illustrates that black people are treated differently by police than white people are.  It's not just a feeling; it's a reality they have to live with.  

The media and Democrats always play the race card as you do here.  

Conservatives also play the race card.  They just do it in a different way.  When empirical data suggests that black are treated differently they ignore it.  Conservative media's first reaction to a police shooting of a black person is to find a justification for it.  The whole attempt to show that he didn't have a concealed carry permit by offering misleading evidence is an example of this.  Acknowledging that racial disparities exist in society isn't playing the race card.  It is an effort to create a society in which everyone has access to the same rights.  

I haved lived in and near a predominantly black community.  When the OJ Simpson verdict was announced there was major celebration, bigger than anything Ive seen spontaneously, because a black man won, not because justice won.  

While I believe that OJ Simpson was guilty, he was found not guilty in a court of law.  The standard you expressed above is innocent until  proven guilty, but you are applying a different standard in this case.  

A lot of white people cheered on the Bundy clan and their armed rebellion against the US government.  This type of behavior isn't something that is unique to the black community.  

If one expressed sadness at the verdict, one was a labeled racist.  

Justice should be colorblind, but liberal democrats don't allow it.

Justice should be blind, but the empirical evidence says it isn't.  Check out the Rampart scandal in Los Angeles or the torture used in Chicago.  Most of the people who have subsequently been released because of the innocence project are people of color.  One of the problems with the New York stop and frisk policy is that black people were stopped indiscriminately (they stopped more black people in a year than the number of black people who lived in the city) and white people were generally stopped because of some cause.  Not surprisingly they found a lot more illegal contraband from the stops on white people.  

4 hours ago, 207Sioux said:

"""1. Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015. According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. The majority of these victims had a gun or "were armed or otherwise threatening the officer with potentially lethal force," according to MacDonald in a speech at Hillsdale College.Some may argue that these statistics are evidence of racist treatment toward blacks, since whites consist of 62 percent of the population and blacks make up 12 percent of the population. But as MacDonald writes in The Wall Street Journal, 2009 statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics reveal that blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.
"Such a concentration of criminal violence in minority communities means that officers will be disproportionately confronting armed and often resisting suspects in those communities, raising officers’ own risk of using lethal force," writes MacDonald.
MacDonald also pointed out in her Hillsdale speech that blacks "commit 75 percent of all shootings, 70 percent of all robberies, and 66 percent of all violent crime" in New York City, even though they consist of 23 percent of the city's population.
"The black violent crime rate would actually predict that more than 26 percent of police victims would be black," MacDonald said. "Officer use of force will occur where the police interact most often with violent criminals, armed suspects, and those resisting arrest, and that is in black neighborhoods."
2. More whites and Hispanics die from police homicides than blacks. According to MacDonald, 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.
"If we’re going to have a 'Lives Matter' anti-police movement, it would be more appropriately named "White and Hispanic Lives Matter,'" said MacDonald in her Hillsdale speech."""

This was posted on another site.

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

On 20/20 on ABC right now about a lady kidnapped and survived...just started she was living in Fargo. Heads up if anyone wants to tune in.

It's well made. Reacting the events. Looks like it might be an hour long.

Ok we get it...bad weather. Go in the basement.....now back to the show.

Meteorologists live for these moments....missed about 15 minutes of the show so far :(

19 minutes ago, bison73 said:

"""1. Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015. According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. The majority of these victims had a gun or "were armed or otherwise threatening the officer with potentially lethal force," according to MacDonald in a speech at Hillsdale College.Some may argue that these statistics are evidence of racist treatment toward blacks, since whites consist of 62 percent of the population and blacks make up 12 percent of the population. But as MacDonald writes in The Wall Street Journal, 2009 statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics reveal that blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties.
"Such a concentration of criminal violence in minority communities means that officers will be disproportionately confronting armed and often resisting suspects in those communities, raising officers’ own risk of using lethal force," writes MacDonald.
MacDonald also pointed out in her Hillsdale speech that blacks "commit 75 percent of all shootings, 70 percent of all robberies, and 66 percent of all violent crime" in New York City, even though they consist of 23 percent of the city's population.
"The black violent crime rate would actually predict that more than 26 percent of police victims would be black," MacDonald said. "Officer use of force will occur where the police interact most often with violent criminals, armed suspects, and those resisting arrest, and that is in black neighborhoods."
2. More whites and Hispanics die from police homicides than blacks. According to MacDonald, 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.
"If we’re going to have a 'Lives Matter' anti-police movement, it would be more appropriately named "White and Hispanic Lives Matter,'" said MacDonald in her Hillsdale speech."""

This was posted on another site.

If you would read the study posted, you would note that the authors controlled for the variables that are mentioned in your quotation.  Yes, more white people are shot, but blacks are shot at a higher rate per capita. The important point is when the authors controlled for the amount of crime that occurred within a community blacks were more likely to be shot.  In other words, when comparing white communities to black communities with the same level of crime, blacks were still more likely to be subject to lethal force.  This caused the authors to conclude that criminality cannot explain the differences in the use of force.  To be perfectly honest, I trust a scholarly investigation of the subject more than a newspaper article.  The statistical analysis and controlling for variables are going to provide more accurate results.  

3 minutes ago, 207Sioux said:

If you would read the study posted, you would note that the authors controlled for the variables that are mentioned in your quotation.  Yes, more white people are shot, but blacks are shot at a higher rate per capita. The important point is when the authors controlled for the amount of crime that occurred within a community blacks were more likely to be shot.  In other words, when comparing white communities to black communities with the same level of crime, blacks were still more likely to be subject to lethal force.  This caused the authors to conclude that criminality cannot explain the differences in the use of force.  To be perfectly honest, I trust a scholarly investigation of the subject more than a newspaper article.  The statistical analysis and controlling for variables are going to provide more accurate results.  

Then may be if they quit committing crimes they wouldnt be shot. Pretty simple.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Then may be if they quit committing crimes they wouldnt be shot. Pretty simple.

Several problems with this.  1. They are frequently shot when they aren't committing crimes.  See Tamir Rice and John Crawford. 2. Frequently, if they are committing a crime it is a low level offence, which doesn't justify the death penalty. 3. Frequently, white people who are committing the same type of crime aren't killed, which illustrates the racial disparities in the criminal justice system.  

• Upvote 2