SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Air Force - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

Ugly performance but good to still find a way to get the win. Not sure what the penalty on Olson was for as it looked like a good clean hit and the OD penalty in OT was dumb but I'm not sure it was a 5 it looked like he eased up and didn't even extend his arms. Really hope this was Murphy's last shot unless it is because of injury he looked really bad on the Schmaltz line and really hurt the spacing and timing on that line early. Zane was good again tonight and really kept us in the game for a while. The Air Force goalie had pretty bad numbers and we made him look great for most of the game and I think a big part of that was missing the net so much and really not going hard to the net until later in the game. Really seemed like a lot of guys were trying to make the pretty play early and some of those guys just aren't those types of players and need to realize that.

In 2009-10, UND had a hard working, blue collar team that could get things done:

Jason Gregoire 37 Chris VandeVelde (A) 41 Brett Hextall 26 Brad Eidsness  0.914 Ben Blood 14 Evan Trupp 34 Brad Malone 25 Matt Frattin 19 Aaron Dell 0.897 Andrew McWilliam 3 Corban Knight 13 Darcy Zajac (A) 19 Danny Kristo 36 Derrick LaPoint 22 Jake Marto (GF) 18 Carter Rowney 8 Mario Lamoureux (GF) 12 Brett Bruneteau 5 Brent Davidson   Corey Fienhage 2

This year's team looks very similar.  I even think they have more potential, given the great blueliners we have now.

Thompson > Mattson

Thompson > Ausmus

Thompson > Stetcher

Just my opinion.  I think the debate of who should play on the back end should be between Ausmus, Stetcher and Mattson.

Right now I would try:

Schmatlz-Ladue

Thompson-Poolman

Stetcher-Ausmus

I love the length, scoring ability and two way play of the first two pairing.  The third pairing gives us a combination of physicality in Ausmus with a heady player in Stetcher.  I just don't think Mattson does anything great.  Don't get me wrong, he is a good player but outside of experience what does he bring to the table that the other guys don't?

The way they played last year I would probably agree with you but this season Ausmus and Stecher have both played much better than Thompson. The only one who I could maybe see him getting in for is Mattson. Thompson has struggled with turnovers and getting caught up in the offensive zone giving up odd man opportunities when he has been in the lineup this year while not really generating much offensively which was one of his strengths last year. Right now I just think it is either gonna take a real bad game from one of the defenseman or an injury for Thompson to get in the lineup.

The way they played last year I would probably agree with you but this season Ausmus and Stecher have both played much better than Thompson. The only one who I could maybe see him getting in for is Mattson. Thompson has struggled with turnovers and getting caught up in the offensive zone giving up odd man opportunities when he has been in the lineup this year while not really generating much offensively which was one of his strengths last year. Right now I just think it is either gonna take a real bad game from one of the defenseman or an injury for Thompson to get in the lineup.

Agreed. You can't keep Stecher and Aumus out of the lineup. It is a pretty nice situation - a great d corp that any team would like to have.