SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

That is one thing that I don't understand. Seems like they were very vocal prior to the game being contracted. And now all of their pumping of the chest over what looks like a blowout on paper and in theory, is now fright, and worrisome over the reality of the game being played in 324 days, and how it will affect their team especially in a loss.

Rivalry games are tricky. Specially when one team is perceived to be way better.

Only way ndsu comes out looking good is a convincing win in which the backups get playing time. If it's close, the perception starts to change.

Darell,

Which team has more to gain from this game being played? If UND loses so what. It isn't like their team can get worse. NDSU fans fear what could happen to their program in the case of a loss. I kind of equate it to sleeping with the hot slut at a party. Is fun and easy to do and probably nothing going to happen, but why take the chance at getting burned? 

I believe Taylor stated that the Weber game was agreed to in part because they had difficulty filling the schedule and also due to the fact that Weber gave us games during the transition. The EWU game is due to NDSU wanting to schedule top tier non conference games. Started with the Montana and Montana State deals. 

I didn't think UND had that effect on teams. Most teams would shake it off and play on, not combust. NDSU lost to UND in basketball, end result you beat Oklahoma in the dance. UND beats you in football, end result you could still win it all. But i guess in your and other NDSU fans' world a loss to UND equals 0-11. Good news for South Dakota, SDSU, UNI and the rest of the MVFC.

Rivalry games are tricky. Specially when one team is perceived to be way better.

Only way ndsu comes out looking good is a convincing win in which the backups get playing time. If it's close, the perception starts to change.

So cancel the game, and just brag about how it looks on paper. 

That is one thing that I don't understand. Seems like they were very vocal prior to the game being contracted. And now all of their pumping of the chest over what looks like a blowout on paper and in theory, is now fright, and worrisome over the reality of the game being played in 324 days, and how it will affect their team especially in a loss.

Fright? Really?

I'm not concerned at all about how this game will affect NDSU's team. I doubt it will have any effect at all. On the field it's just another OOC game.

I am, however, concerned about how it will affect UND's program. IMO, it will help them, and I do not want NDSU to help UND in any way. They made their own bed...

Fright? Really?

I'm not concerned at all about how this game will affect NDSU's team. I doubt it will have any affect at all. On the field it's just another OOC game.

I am, however, concerned about how it will affect UND's program. IMO, it will help them, and I do not want NDSU to help UND in any way. They made their own bed...

Then its simple...win the game.

I have revised my earlier estimates. It will be a 17 point game or so, with NDSU closing it out in the second half. 

In the history of all the impressive toe-to-toe, moral, hypothetical victories UND has compiled, it will undoubtably go down as the biggest. 

Hell Bubba will probably use it as a recruiting tool. Come play at UND son, we can go toe to toe with anybody  ;) .

It isn't even that simple. NDSU will need to CRUSH you, otherwise we'll hear for the next four years about your toe to toe moral victory. 

Exactly! Given current expectations, NDSU would have to win 80-0 to get any net benefit out of playing the game. 

It isn't even that simple. NDSU will need to CRUSH you, otherwise we'll hear for the next four years about your toe to toe moral victory.

Unless it's 54 - 2 with an intentional safety and the third stingers putting up two scores Bison fans will complain. Even then they will find something most likely. Honestly though that's why NDSU is where they are, standards don't get higher.

I disagree. The idea of how bad NDSU would crush UND is priceless. UND gets to tarnish that next year and in the process start closing the gap in perception.

That's the whole point. We have to absolutely destroy you, or we, in a sense, lose. A run-of-the-mill NDSU butt kicking isn't enough.

For the record I did not hijack this. I was responding to Sioux94 on page 7 or whatever it was on why I personally don't want to play UND and why I feel the majority of NDSU does not want to play UND. Not because you are not worthy of playing NDSU, not because we are past being a rival, it is PRIMARILY BECAUSE we have nothing to gain from playing you and everything to lose. The second most reason is due to poor feelings over 2003 and the third most popular reason, which is a very very small minority, is the elitist NDSU fans who feel you are not worthy. 

Dump the Big Fluffy and petition the MV to accept you. Then Darell and the UND fan base can get the wish of seeing NDSU every year and seeing NDSU in Grand Forks. Football at UND is about playing and beating NDSU. Bubba Gump stated in his couch press conference that he felt that was one of the most important things for a UND player. It isn't about winning national championships. 

That's the whole point. We have to absolutely destroy you, or we, in a sense, lose. A run-of-the-mill NDSU butt kicking isn't enough.

And you are saying you aren't going to crush us? We are a "bottom-feeder" we aren't "at your level". We are UN_ , remember no defense. Was that Weber St game a wake up call? Thinking of Indiana St in 2012?

For the record I did not hijack this. I was responding to Sioux94 on page 7 or whatever it was on why I personally don't want to play UND and why I feel the majority of NDSU does not want to play UND. Not because you are not worthy of playing NDSU, not because we are past being a rival, it is PRIMARILY BECAUSE we have nothing to gain from playing you and everything to lose. The second most reason is due to poor feelings over 2003 and the third most popular reason, which is a very very small minority, is the elitist NDSU fans who feel you are not worthy.

What did you have to gain from playing Ferris St? How about St. Francis? Wagner?

I wouldn't consider not scheduling an OOC game with a team that has zero significant DI wins to be "running." If that's what you mean.

Can't run with the idealized perception forever. Eventually reality sets in. Like we all know, right now NDSU has as good of a perception bs UND as they will ever have again.