SiouxSports.com Forum

Extremely Hypothetical: 7-5 = playoffs?

geaux_sioux

That's fine.  My point is neither should be on the field and that is a verified fact.  So, when these crucial situations pop-up don't surprised that something may go wrong.  Also, the snap was OK but the hold was worse.  The timing was completely off - Taubenheim stood no chance.  

BTW, Meindel has been eligible to play for two weeks now and Bubba hasn't even let him dress.  If Bubba wanted to sell out and put everything on the field he could to win, Meindel would be playing.  Bubba is sending a message to his team for the future and the thing that sucks is they lose to Montana because the kid F'ed them over and put Bubba in that situation.  

So Golladay, Jackson and others who are no longer with the program are to blame too?  You seem to be throwing some kid who isn't even playing under the bus. UND is competeing with who the have and are capable of winning with who they have.  At some point to turn this ship around someone who IS playing needs to step up and make a decisive play. You play with who you have at the time...not who could be playing. No one, including me, is blaming the holder, snapper or kicker, but an opportunity Saturday was lost.  Next time hopefully the outcome with the game on the line is different...as I mentioned they converted on roughly the same distance vs. RM.

The snap? From the far end zone angle it looked like it was behind the holder; the holder seemed to have to "pull it out of his ear".

The hold? Clearly off. The top nose of the ball was pointing at the kicker. 

The kick? He hit the ball high which is why it never really got off the ground. (You have to strike low for it to get up.) 

But wait ... there's more ... freshman snapper, freshman holder, freshman kicker ... first attempt ever by that trifecta at winning a game. 

If they're all going to have "learning moments" at least they all had them together at once (rather than over three different attempts). 

The snap came right to his helmet, which is easily good enough.  The hold just got goofed up.  That made Taubenheim be off by a half-step or so.  

No kicker can make a kick with a really bad hold. That thing was leaning beyond anything the kicker could work with. They'll get it next time, and I'm assuming a lot of times after that.

Side note, Blair Townsend was an unreal holder. If you remember some of the snaps he had to deal with, he was a miracle worker. Shoulda been all conference....

That's fine.  My point is neither should be on the field and that is a verified fact.  So, when these crucial situations pop-up don't surprised that something may go wrong.  Also, the snap was OK but the hold was worse.  The timing was completely off - Taubenheim stood no chance.  

BTW, Meindel has been eligible to play for two weeks now and Bubba hasn't even let him dress.  If Bubba wanted to sell out and put everything on the field he could to win, Meindel would be playing.  Bubba is sending a message to his team for the future and the thing that sucks is they lose to Montana because the kid F'ed them over and put Bubba in that situation.  

What's the sellout? If Meindel has served the penalty for his infraction -- whatever it was -- but the coach chooses to keep the experienced kicker on the shelf and relies on the true freshman to kick the crucial field goal, then maybe this one's on Schweigert. 

Good lord people.

The freshman holder and freshman kicker screwed up under pressure. So what? Yes it would've been huge if they made it, but UND isn't competing for titles this season anyway. Let's hope they learn and can start hitting big kicks for the next 3 and a half years starting Saturday.

Good lord people.

The freshman holder and freshman kicker screwed up under pressure. So what? Yes it would've been huge if they made it, but UND isn't competing for titles this season anyway. Let's hope they learn and can start hitting big kicks for the next 3 and a half years starting Saturday.

All about "moral victories" now?

You guys should be redirecting your anger towards a certain punter/kicker who became ineligible over the summer and completely F'ed over the entire team.  He would have been kicking the field goal and more than likely made it.  BTW, the hold was bad and the timing was completely off.

Blaming a true freshman who was not prepared by the staff to be the kicker until week 3 of fall camp (due to above-mentioned player) is pretty low, IMO.  The kid has done fairly well considering he shouldn't be kicking in the first place.  Oh, and the true freshman holder is the walk-on punter who also should not be playing due to above mentioned player.  

I don't know about you guys but I sucked my first year at my current work.   

It was not at all the kickers fault. The holder had no chance of getting the hold down due to a bad snap. I think he would have made it had the snap been even decent. 

No son, it's about cutting freshman kids on the team some slack for being nervous in a pressure situation they haven't dealt with before.  These aren't paid professionals in the NFL; they are literally months removed from high school.  Nice try though.

Some of you cheerleaders need to decide which side of the argument you're on; either you're all about record and accountability -- and you've speculated endlessly about the ultimate win-loss record for this team while throwing any number of former players under the bus as "quitters" for not riding out a coaching transition -- or you're about setting a tone, building a culture and appreciating the "moral victories" along the way, record be damned. If it's the former, as many months' of postings would suggest, then maybe a coach who leaves a veteran player on the sideline and puts a crucial field goal attempt on the shoulders of a true freshman should be open to a little scrutiny, too.

Or does the decision for you simply depend on which coach we're criticizing?

Some of you cheerleaders need to decide which side of the argument you're on; either you're all about record and accountability -- and you've speculated endlessly about the ultimate win-loss record for this team while throwing any number of former players under the bus as "quitters" for not riding out a coaching transition -- or you're about setting a tone, building a culture and appreciating the "moral victories" along the way, record be damned. If it's the former, as many months' of postings would suggest, then maybe a coach who leaves a veteran player on the sideline and puts a crucial field goal attempt on the shoulders of a true freshman should be open to a little scrutiny, too.

How happy would you be if you found out the week before Game 1 that your kicker/punter, who took all the #1 reps for three weeks of fall camp, was ineligible due to his own doing?  I wouldn't play him either.  

So what is your solution?  Cut both the kicker and the holder and bring in a couple of walk-ons who haven't played since high school?  Yeah, I don't think so.

So what is your solution?  Cut both the kicker and the holder and bring in a couple of walk-ons who haven't played since high school?  Yeah, I don't think so.

It's not only the kicking crew's deal - it a perfect storm of screw-ups to lose this one.  Molberg runs for the sticks instead of dancing and cutting up results in probably a first down.  We let a receiver get behind our d backs at the worst possible time - I'm still stunned at that lapse.  Bottom line is we couldn't close the deal.  Like most games we had some good and some bad - definately see improvement in overall intensity and defensive play.  Let's not get too high on the 4th quarter offense (unless we change up play calling for the whole game) - We seemed to forget the stretch where we had about 10 yards total in 4 posessions and seemed to start every drive off with a one yard plunge.  It will be interesting to see what offense we see for the next game.  

• Upvote 3

It's not only the kicking crew's deal - it a perfect storm of screw-ups to lose this one.  Molberg runs for the sticks instead of dancing and cutting up results in probably a first down.  We let a receiver get behind our d backs at the worst possible time - I'm still stunned at that lapse.  Bottom line is we couldn't close the deal.  Like most games we had some good and some bad - definately see improvement in overall intensity and defensive play.  Let's not get too high on the 4th quarter offense (unless we change up play calling for the whole game) - We seemed to forget the stretch where we had about 10 yards total in 4 posessions and seemed to start every drive off with a one yard plunge.  It will be interesting to see what offense we see for the next game.  

Well, that makes two teams that could be bitching about losing this game.  Personally, I think Montana would have a wee bit more to complain about if they lost the game but whatever.  UND mounted a huge comeback that was comprised of a defensive TD and two point conversion just to be in the game at the end vs. the #7 team in the country.  I am not ready to start bitching about how we lost this one.   

Now, if we lose to Portland State.....

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say good, but not the reason the kick failed. I've seen worse snaps handled easily.

I have always felt the holder should be one of the better athletes on the team.  I think it gives you more options if you need a fake or things go bad. 

I wouldn't say good, but not the reason the kick failed. I've seen worse snaps handled easily.

That is a snap that absolutely needs to be handled properly by a holder at this level....The last spot to blame here is the snapper after watching the replay from many angles over and over.

My apologies.....moving on now from this.

It's not only the kicking crew's deal - it a perfect storm of screw-ups to lose this one.  Molberg runs for the sticks instead of dancing and cutting up results in probably a first down

Disagree with you on this one. The Montana linebacker made a solid play staying home to shut off the bootleg. He had the angle on Molberg and simply made a textbook tackle. Molberg's a solid runner -- I liked the shoulder he put into a safety later in the game -- but he's not going to dance like a scatback out there.

How happy would you be if you found out the week before Game 1 that your kicker/punter, who took all the #1 reps for three weeks of fall camp, was ineligible due to his own doing?  I wouldn't play him either.  

Then that's your choice as the coach. Should that decision be immune to scrutiny or criticism on this board?