SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/02/06_between_the_lines_outstanding.php?z=1

Adam Wodon makes a reasonable point on Notre Dame wanting to leave Hockey East and going to the NCHC.

Agreed on Notre Dame but the elephant in the room, as he points out, is the tv deal.

Not a fan of his regional take though.

Agreed on Notre Dame but the elephant in the room, as he points out, is the tv deal.

NCAA always loos at the money.  It is kind of unfortunate that Notre Dame is out of the playoff picture.  The two host schools (one playing at their hiome arena and the other 70 miles away) would both be sold out and the other two would be half full.  If the NCAA cares about money like I think they do, they will switch back to host schools.

I don't like his regional take either.

Agreed. But, we clearly have an advantage with a change. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I were MTU or Bowling Green or someone of the sort.

Agreed. But, we clearly have an advantage with a change. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I were MTU or Bowling Green or someone of the sort.

Which is why on-campus playoffs need to be brought back. If Michigan Tech and Bowling Green are in the top 8 of the final PWR and schools like BC and Michigan aren't, why shouldn't the Huskies and Falcons host the first round playoff games? This isn't college basketball. Make it happen already!

Lots of pretty names in that regional, but none of those three teams scare me, honestly. Sure Michigan can score, but they are horrendous defensively. Have they played a team that can play shutdown D like ours? Not to my knowledge. NE region is the group of death in this bracket, IMO.

Michigan didn't scare many people last time we played them in the tournament either.  I'm with Schlossman, just about any of the top 16 or so teams could win it all, and it wouldn't surprise me. 

The writer also doesn't explain how going back to campus sites is unfair to certain programs. Is it because a #11 seed Boston College (for example) might have leave the cozy New England for a regional game? Minnesota seems to host a regional every 2-4 years. That's fair?

What's unfair is a pre-determined regional system that allows host teams to not really care about their 1-4 seeding, but just needing to get into the tournament. 1998's Sioux team beats Michigan 5-0 in Grand Forks as opposed to what happened in Ann Arbor. The comeback kids from the WCHA Final Five a couple of years ago also deserved a better fate than playing the lions back in their own den again a week later.

Why would our advantage be bigger than MTU or BGSU? because they have less seats? because our team is consistently better and more often a #1 seed?

Which is why on-campus playoffs need to be brought back. If Michigan Tech and Bowling Green are in the top 8 of the final PWR and schools like BC and Michigan aren't, why shouldn't the Huskies and Falcons host the first round playoff games? This isn't college basketball. Make it happen already!

Yes, IHTINB exactly, Bad examples because they are good this year, but, what I'm saying it's more of an advantage to us on a REGULAR BASIS, because we are a top seed way more than many schools.

Again, I'm not saying I don't want this because I absolutely do, but I can see the hesitation from certain schools.

I'd like to see the NCAA put regionals in arenas that can sellout or get close to selling out if it happens to be on-campus or a neutral site. If a regional has poor attendance then that arena shouldn't be allowed to host a regional again. One thing I'd like to see is one of the other Minnesota school's hosting a regional at the X then it always being Minnesota.  

I'd like to see the NCAA tournament expand to 24 teams giving the top two seeds in each regional a bye.

Michigan didn't scare many people last time we played them in the tournament either.  I'm with Schlossman, just about any of the top 16 or so teams could win it all, and it wouldn't surprise me. 

I don't disagree at all. Just saying that the names don't scare me. Any team that we play will be in front of a crowd wearing GREEN. Doesn't matter who we play, IMO. With our team and that advantage, I am very, very hopeful.

Yes, IHTINB exactly, Bad examples because they are good this year, but, what I'm saying it's more of an advantage to us on a REGULAR BASIS, because we are a top seed way more than many schools.

Again, I'm not saying I don't want this because I absolutely do, but I can see the hesitation from certain schools.

I guess my response then would be to tell those teams to have a better season and win more games so they earn home ice lol

Is it fair that the Wild have to play the Blackhawks the majority of playoff games in Chicago? Yes IMO because the Wild are, so far, inferior during the regular season.

I understand where the hesitation would be from smaller schools, but I don't believe it to be warranted or due to an unfair advantage for the simple fact that they're a small school.

I believe we are on the same side of the issue but understand you're just playing devil's advocate. :)

The writer also doesn't explain how going back to campus sites is unfair to certain programs. Is it because a #11 seed Boston College (for example) might have leave New England for a regional game?

What's unfair is a pre-determined regional allowing host teams to not really care about their 1-4 seeding, but just needing to get into the tournament. 1998's Sioux team beats Michigan 5-0 in Grand Forks as opposed to Ann Arbor. I would bet that the comeback kids from the WCHA Final Five a couple of years ago also deserved a better fate than playing the lions back near their own den again a week later.

After seeing the Ice Breaker Tournament in South Bend, I don't think it would have mattered if Notre Dame made the tournament the attendance in South Bend would have been low.

To go with you're first point that's what I could see happening if this "Super Regional" idea ever happens.

I'm actually surprised that Minnesota is a proponent of on-campus regionals given that they host them anyways every couple of years.

Because of financial concerns only, the NCAA is close to legislation that would force every sport except basketball to play Regionals on campus. Whether this means old-school 3-game series on consecutive weekends, or the 1 seed in each Regional hosting four teams, remains to be seen.

Yes to the bolded, please. Why?

1. Rewards regular season excellence. 

2. Increases likelihood of the best teams being there at the end. 

3. Maximizes attendance and revenue. 

What could be wrong with any of that? 

I guess my response then would be to tell those teams to have a better season and win more games so they earn home ice lol

Is it fair that the Wild have to play the Blackhawks the majority of playoff games in Chicago? Yes IMO because the Wild are, so far, inferior during the regular season.

I understand where the hesitation would be from smaller schools, but I don't believe it to be warranted or due to an unfair advantage for the simple fact that they're a small school.

I believe we are on the same side of the issue but understand you're just playing devil's advocate. :)

Precisely, my friend :)

Agree completely, where did you find that information?

All of that was in Wodon's piece on CHN. And I love it all.

Agree completely, where did you find that information?

It's been my understanding that the NCAA would prefer that the #1 seeds ultimately make it to the FF. Because a one-and-done effectively gives a lower seeded team a better opportunity of advancing (hot goalie, lucky bounce, etc), doesn't it make sense to do a format where the first round be a best of three series at the higher seed's barn? Not to mention the guarantee of more $$ as those barns would likely be sold out?