SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-15 Season

SWSiouxMN

I know she was in a boot about two weeks ago I'm not certain but I don't think she was in one yesterday.

I believe they are making sure to be careful with it so she's ready for conference play and doesn't have any setbacks.  Could very well be ready before then though.

went to the ladies game today

struggled in the first half

evers missd some asy shots but wow is she a force in the paint

guard play wasn't that good on slow it down but up tempo they played well

UMC played well

First game jitters, time to get all the bugs out. I can't wait to see them play the Gophers, they Betty will be packed!

The usual results, some good things and some concerning things.

The Good

-Like the fact they knocked down the turnovers from game 1 to game 2 (21 to 12) while maintaining the same amount of assists.  Keep those turnovers around 12-18 this year.

-Evers is going to be a handful for teams this year.  I am expecting a big senior year from here.

-Dyer was solid handling the ball (13 assists to 3 turnovers) and was solid rebounding.  If she can do that and consistently be in double figures, we will be alright.

-1st game back for Mia and nearly pulled a double-double.  Once she gets her legs back I am expecting even bigger things for her this year. 

-Good to see Lauck provide some punch in the 2nd unit, that will be huge going forward in that 2nd line.   

My concerns

-3 point shooting: I know we are not a strong 3 point shooting team and we are a physical get to the boards type team, but if we want to really make some noise this year, we need girls to step up and keep teams honest from the 3 point line.

-Backup Center:  Kiser or Roscoe need to fill this void.  They don't need to be amazing, just provide what Emily did for Wall last year, rebounds and some bench points here and there.

Based on the exhibitions alone, I expect Strand to play right away and the rest to redshirt.  Also looks like Brew will go with Szabla, Dyer, Burck, Loyd, and Evers as starters.  With Knox and Lauck off the bench.  Its nice to have 7 girls who can realistically start for this team. 

-

I was there too and agree with your points.

I'd also worry about a hack a Shaq strategy on Evers who missed a bunch of FTs.

The outside shots came from Lauck with some consistency, but you're right the 3 isn't a strong attribute of this team. Then again, it may not need to be with EE in the middle and Loyd rebounding like Rodman.

I agree that Brewster did some coaching to keep this team's head in the game after that first half. I thought Wis-Milwaukee had some excellent players and our girls did an amazing job in shutting them down in the second half. Bailey is already an excellent player who's not afraid to pull the trigger on the 3 pointer. We've got a solid first eight players. They should make for a very fun year since they're very well coached. 

Even though we were down 18, I never thought the game was out of reach. Championship teams and coaches can withstand hot shooting runs and I think we have another championship caliber team this year, to go along with a great coach and staff. Scary to think we have Dyer, Szabla, Mia, Knox beyond this year. Strand looks like she could be a dynamic scorer for UND. She has one of the quicker releases on her shot that I have seen, and she looked like a veteran in her home debut. Lastly, Evers is basically unstoppable on the low block. She was actually tripled teamed a few times last night.  If she stays out of foul trouble she could be 1st team all league.  Excited for the rest of the season!!