SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference tournament to be in Las Vegas in 2016?

SiouxVolley

Not a fan. Understand the issue with what can be tough travel arrangements but like that it makes the regular season worth something and that a regular season championship is a definite advantage. Gives a leg up to the the team that proved they were the best over a whole season rather than a 3-5 day period. UND's women would not have won going away if the tournament was in Vegas instead of Grand Forks Will be awaiting an official announcement to verify...

Not a fan. Understand the issue with what can be tough travel arrangements but like that it makes the regular season worth something and that a regular season championship is a definite advantage. Gives a leg up to the the team that proved they were the best over a whole season rather than a 3-5 day period. UND's women would not have won going away if the tournament was in Vegas instead of Grand Forks Will be awaiting an official announcement to verify...

^^^^this!!

• Upvote 1

It would be cool to know where to go and book tickets. The question is what do the coaches think? FYI women's team had best road record in BSC and i will agree it was fun to watch in the betty at least once.

It would be cool to know where to go and book tickets. The question is what do the coaches think? FYI women's team had best road record in BSC and i will agree it was fun to watch in the betty at least once.

It would probably be in the Orleans Arena. It might be at the same time as the PAC12, MWC, WAC, and Big West tourneys, so scheduling and arena availabilty would have to be worked out. With a fourth arena with >10,000 seats under construction on the strip, 2016 should open up a slot. If it happens, I'm sure UNDsports and the Big Sky will be promoting this.

I don't disagree on that part and understand the logic. I'm just partial to the way it is now for the reasons I listed. And I still think UND's women would have won, they outplayed UM by quite a bit, but the home court advantage definitely played into that.

From the Idaho State Board:

The Big Sky Presidents will be meeting in Grand Forks shortly and may finalize a tournament move to Las Vegas.

http://www.bigskyfan...php?f=13&t=5700

Apparently, the MVC is considering a tournament move to Vegas. That would make the Summit the lone holdup in this region.

The MVC was leveraging KC to get a better deal in StL. If they goto Vegas I'd be shocked. Pretty sure that aint happening, too far outside the footprint.

As for the Summit being a holdout? The SL will be in a brand new arena that seats 12,000 in the footprint, with 4 of the 9 teams within driving distance. That beats the crap out of going to Vegas. Frankly, if the Summit League was in Vegas, that would suck, both for attendance, and the financial deal. The money will be good in SF.

Big Sky exploring moving tournaments to Las Vegas

A small group of administrators, working in conjunction with the conference, will seek approval from school presidents to press forward with a plan to move the men’s and women’s tournaments, which would include all 24 teams and be played simultaneously, to Las Vegas, Ron Loghry said this week. Though no formal proposal has been drafted, the desire of the coaches and athletic directors is to create a more equitable tournament format, which is intended to balance out the 18-game conference schedule the Big Sky will adopt this year. It would also ease the sometimes tricky travel arrangements teams are forced to make during the last week of the regular season.

I am really not for this. Not only do they want to move the tourney to Vegas, but they want to include every team. Why not just eliminate the regular season while we're at it?

Average attendance at the WAC tournament this year was 1,284. I think something like that or quite possibly even less is what we would see. That would be a great environment for the players and fans to experience and for ESPN to showcase to the country.

Let's not forget the women's side of the tourney either. Can you imagine the cavern of the arena for the women's games? I attended the championship game in Grand Forks this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched the one in Missoula last year and it looked like they had a wonderful turnout.

I really like the current format because it makes the race in the regular season very exciting. I love the idea that my favorite school can host the tournament.

Hey SUU saved a lot of money by not having to go to the tournament this year. If this plan were in place they would have had to make the trip to Vegas.

I understand getting to remote locales on short notice is a problem in the Big Sky under the current format. In an effort mitigate some of that, is there any reason the regular season could not end a week earlier than it does now allowing for twice as much more time for preparations for all parties involved? It seems with 4 fewer conference games going forward, this should be doable.

• Upvote 1

Average attendance at the WAC tournament this year was 1,284. I think something like that or quite possibly even less is what we would see. That would be a great environment for the players and fans to experience and for ESPN to showcase to the country.

Let's not forget the women's side of the tourney either. Can you imagine the cavern of the arena for the women's games? I attended the championship game in Grand Forks this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched the one in Missoula last year and it looked like they had a wonderful turnout.

I really like the current format because it makes the race in the regular season very exciting. I love the idea that my favorite school can host the tournament.

Hey SUU saved a lot of money by not having to go to the tournament this year. If this plan were in place they would have had to make the trip to Vegas.

I understand getting to remote locales on short notice is a problem in the Big Sky under the current format. In an effort mitigate some of that, is there any reason the regular season could not end a week earlier than it does now allowing for twice as much more time for preparations for all parties involved? It seems with 4 fewer conference games going forward, this should be doable.

I'm actually a fan of having it in a dedicated area. Fans know where they need to be to watch the tournament. It makes traveling for any team not the #1 seed a lot easier.

Also, to your point about SUU... generally the conference will pay for any and all travel associated with the league tournament. So SUU didn't really save any money by not making the trip unless the Big Sky does it differently.

Let's be honest, if it isn't played on ice UND fans don't travel well. If there were 100 UND fans in Ogden this year, I bet we would get 200 fans in Vegas. Big deal. If it is at The Sioux Center we will have 3,000. I would prefer to keep that possibility open......

I agree. If we're talking a major conference then home court isn't as important since those conferences usually send several at-large teams to the ncaa tourney. The Big Sky, however, typically (if not always) only gets the conference tourney winner in.

I like the drama of a tournament rather than just sending the regular season winner but the regular season winner in a fairly low-level mid-major conference should have an overwhelming advantage in the tournament to make the regular season relevant.

I assume the regular season champ would still get a bye so that's some advantage but I think the home court advantage is pretty huge in a one and done scenario.

On the other hand a trip to Vegas to watch UND would be pretty sweet!

Let's be honest, if it isn't played on ice UND fans don't travel well. If there were 100 UND fans in Ogden this year, I bet we would get 200 fans in Vegas. Big deal. If it is at The Sioux Center we will have 3,000. I would prefer to keep that possibility open......

I agree. I would prefer home court advantage over Wayne Newton.

It would probably be in the Orleans Arena. It might be at the same time as the PAC12, MWC, WAC, and Big West tourneys, so scheduling and arena availabilty would have to be worked out. With a fourth arena with >10,000 seats under construction on the strip, 2016 should open up a slot. If it happens, I'm sure UNDsports and the Big Sky will be promoting this.

Orleans would be good. No more LV Wranglers to schedule around. Cheap rooms, arena right down the hall from the poker room. Cheap food. Most important of all, cheap drinks. Loose slots. Generous comps. Stayed and played there a lot over the last five years.

the problem is say UND wins the regular season now you need to get the teams and parents and fans who travel to grand forks, your options are Amatrak greyhound chartered flight and delta. Monday the day before the conference business meetings delta can't get all the booked passengers from MSP to GFK each flight is oversold.

the problem is say UND wins the regular season now you need to get the teams and parents and fans who travel to grand forks, your options are Amatrak greyhound chartered flight and delta. Monday the day before the conference business meetings delta can't get all the booked passengers from MSP to GFK each flight is oversold.

That is what I always said about having large conventions/conferences in Grand Forks. How are the people suppose to get there? I take vegas at his word on this because he knows this for sure. But it is Jefferson Lines providing bus service not Greyhound. Greyhound is a generic term for bus service sense everyone knows what is being referred to.