SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Yeah, replacing Gene Taylor isn't that big if deal.

They stayed away from it so applicants were not swayed from applying. Same reason they took such an active interest in UNDs football coach position.

But UND still got the greatest football coach in the country in Bubba didn't they?

You're smart enough to understand what a "net loss" is.

To be perfectly honest, it's way too soon to know if it was a net loss or a gain. If NDSU is bad for the next 15 years... Sure that's a loss. But honestly if a school like NDSU isn't having to replace the basketball coach every 5 or 10 years.... It is because the bigger schools don't think he is worth poaching.

To be perfectly honest, it's way too soon to know if it was a net loss or a gain. If NDSU is bad for the next 15 years... Sure that's a loss. But honestly if a school like NDSU isn't having to replace the basketball coach every 5 or 10 years.... It is because the bigger schools don't think he is worth poaching.

It's mainly because the College of Home Economics, like UND, are not able to pay out the huge salaries to their basketball coaches and football coaches. If UW can steal the savior of #buttfootball from the ag school, that shows that they are not a top tier school.

Hakstol, however, will never be "bought" by another D-1 hockey program. That's because UND in hockey is an elite program. The only elite program that exists in North Dakota in D-1 sports.

• Upvote 3

It's mainly because the College of Home Economics, like UND, are not able to pay out the huge salaries to their basketball coaches and football coaches. If UW can steal the savior of #buttfootball from the ag school, that shows that they are not a top tier school.

Hakstol, however, will never be "bought" by another D-1 hockey program. That's because UND in hockey is an elite program. The only elite program that exists in North Dakota in D-1 sports.

Hakstol won't ever be bought by another D-1 hockey program because he can't win a National title at what should be the easiest place to win one. If he can't win at UND, why would another program want him? Hopefully UND hockey will still be an elite program after Hakstol is done with it.

Hakstol won't ever be bought by another D-1 hockey program because he can't win a National title at what should be the easiest place to win one. If he can't win at UND, why would another program want him? Hopefully UND hockey will still be an elite program after Hakstol is done with it.

One of the most idiotic things I've ever read.

UND will always be a top hockey school given the tradition and facilities. The coach is only a piece of the puzzle.

NDSU is a good football school, but their success is based on coaching. Without Bohl, who knows what will happen. So what they've won the past 3 titles; they have limited DI tradition and many places have nicer facilities, including Big Sky program Montana. Actually, UND's IPF will even up UND and NDSU facility-wise.

• Upvote 3

Hakstol frustrates me. But, a lot of programs would love to have him.

In the history of North Dakota hockey, no coach has been "bought" by another program. UND has had some great coaches. Some have ended up coaching at other programs, however, they were never given more money to go elsewhere.

Ever.

That's because UND is an elite program that pays college coaches at the highest level.

Now, look at the history of #buttfootball? If they do well, the coach is gone. For more $$ and more opportunity at the college level.

You can't do that to UND hockey. There won't be more money and there isn't more opportunity at the college level.

Because UND is an elite program in hockey. They are an Alabama of hockey. The only elite college sports program in the state of North Dakota.

I love UND sports, but the others are second tier at best. As they are at the College of Home Economics.

One of the most idiotic things I've ever read.

UND will always be a top hockey school given the tradition and facilities. The coach is only a piece of the puzzle.

NDSU is a good football school, but their success is based on coaching. Without Bohl, who knows what will happen. So what they've won the past 3 titles; they have limited DI tradition and many places have nicer facilities, including Big Sky program Montana. Actually, UND's IPF will even up UND and NDSU facility-wise.

Everyone knows that FCS is D-i in name only. It's second tier.

I'd love to see UND win at the FCS level. But, it is what it is.

Everyone knows that FCS is D-i in name only. It's second tier.

I'd love to see UND win at the FCS level. But, it is what it is.

I don't like that argument just because hockey is second-tier in terms of coverage and popularity. I think FCS football and NCAA hockey are realistically on the same level.

For example, ESPN would rather cover FCS football than go over NCAA hockey scores. There just is very limited NCAA hockey interest across the nation - it is what it is.

Football and basketball on the other hand could break new grounds for UND athletics on a national scale.

Football and basketball on the other hand could break new grounds for UND athletics on a national scale.

In other words, there is nowhere to go but up with football and basketball at UND. While hockey at UND is at the highest level it can attain in college sports.

Exactly.

NDSU is a good football school, but their success is based on coaching. Without Bohl, who knows what will happen.

I hate defending FU, but they have won 8 national titles without Craig Bohl.

I think that the group of North Dakota fans that are hoping for the demise of NDSU football due to the departure of Craig Bohl are likely going to end up being disappointed.

I hate defending FU, but they have won 8 national titles without Craig Bohl.

I think that the group of North Dakota fans that are hoping for the demise of NDSU football due to the departure of Craig Bohl are likely going to end up being disappointed.

Albeit DII national championships. I was simply stating that NDSU needs to tread lightly when discussing their FCS football success because of the limited sample size, along with only having one DI head coach in their history (that's actually led them in games).

I liken 2011-2013 NDSU to 2005-2007 Appalachian State. Although Appalachian State had success after their national championship runs, they never did make it back to the national championship game. I think the departure of Bohl and the senior class (including B. Jenson, M. Williams, B. Turner, etc.) will be too much for NDSU. They will likely continue to have 10+ win seasons for the next few seasons, but can they have playoff success? I think the target on their back is too big and they won't.

Albeit DII national championships. I was simply stating that NDSU needs to tread lightly when discussing their FCS football success because of the limited sample size, along with only having one DI head coach in their history (that's actually led them in games).

I liken 2011-2013 NDSU to 2005-2007 Appalachian State. Although Appalachian State had success after their national championship runs, they never did make it back to the national championship game. I think the departure of Bohl and the senior class (including B. Jenson, M. Williams, B. Turner, etc.) will be too much for NDSU. They will likely continue to have 10+ win seasons for the next few seasons, but can they have playoff success? I think the target on their back is too big and they won't.

I'm sure you have your fingers crossed.

I don't like that argument just because hockey is second-tier in terms of coverage and popularity. I think FCS football and NCAA hockey are realistically on the same level.

For example, ESPN would rather cover FCS football than go over NCAA hockey scores.

ESPN would rather cover the Double-Dutch jump rope Finals than ANY hockey, college or pro. Their coverage is a joke when it comes to puck, they cover the Frozen Four and a couple of tourney games on ESPN14. (The Catorce!)

Good luck with your "untouchable" program going forward.

They always forget about 2009. Its like that 3-8 season could never ever happen to their program, or going from 1992-2009 (minus 04-07) without hosting a playoff game. Just because you win a NC, doesn't mean you will be at the top forever. Right App St, Right Montana, right Eastern Washington.

They always forget about 2009. Its like that 3-8 season could never ever happen to their program, or going from 1992-2009 (minus 04-07) without hosting a playoff game. Just because you win a NC, doesn't mean you will be at the top forever. Right App St, Right Montana, right Eastern Washington.

No one ever said we'd be on top forever. But I doubt we'll ever be like you guys.......

Don't compare winning one title to what NDSU has accomplished

But it showed UND was down in the mid 80's and climbed to the top, don't think we will stay down forever, just like you won't be at the top forever. All dynasties come to an end.

Anybody CFB fan worth their salt knows national Championships are hard to come by. NDSU caught lightening in a bottle. Championships run in cycles. Look at TX, LA , AL, and FL. Look at the runs they made. And at that time THEIR fans thought it would go on forever but it never does. Some programs have peaks and valleys. NDSU is more like ups and downs with no valleys. NDSU has only had 3 losing seasons in 50 years. Why do you have to keep bemoaning that we wont be on top forever? We know that. But we also know that it is unlikely the Bison will go in the toilet.

Keep hanging your hat on that 3-8 season. Its doesnt happen often.