SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

You're a fool and a perfect example of someone exhibiting an inferiority complex. NDSU is wonderful if you want to farm, whereas UND is exceptional if you want to be a lawyer, commercial aviation pilot, physician, businessman, biomedical researcher, historian, etc. In general, NDSU is a joke relative to UND. You seem to be having such a hard time dealing with that, and as a result, you come on this website and try to overcompensate for NDSU's lack of national relevancy.

Not to mention, many of the people who claim Grand Forks is unpleasant also don't care for Fargo either - they want Minneapolis, Chicago, etc.

Congrats on NDSU's run of FCS titles, it is impressive. But those seasons are over now, Craig Bohl is gone, and UND football has better leadership and will put up a fight in recruiting. NDSU's days of dominance are over, so get use to it.

As far as this game goes, it should be played every year! The schools are merely 75 miles from each other and they have a long history of playing. Retribution agendas and precautionary philosophies are the only reasons this game is not being played, and well, its an absolute embarrassment. The recent article demonstrates Gene Taylor's inability to serve the state of North Dakota as a whole. All Fargo and NDSU supporters can use as a counterargument is that NDSU offered a game in Fargo and that UND should've taken it. I say to that: NO. NDSU is not so d*mn holy that they can't travel to Grand Forks every-other season or game. The fact Gene Taylor has that mindset is ridiculous. UND will continue to improve on their own with Bubba's leadership, and within the Big Sky Conference, UND can and will rise again independently of NDSU.

Good riddance and I now digress.

You seem to fit that bill as well. Beside your med and lawyer school you really dont have anything to trump NDSU academically. As far as your aviation school your students dont leave school and jump to flying for the big airlines. You can go get your private pilots license almost anywhere and then move up the ranks with flying time and qualifications. I would do more research on what NDSU has to offer so you at least sound like you actually received your degree from the school you are defending.

Everything about that stereotype just pisses me off to no end...

My brother-in-law and my sister both attended NDSU and graduated with degrees in architecture. They currently run a very successful business in the TC west metro and have immense talent in that field. They put their education to use not only for their business, but also in remodeling their own house as well. In addition, both served their country quite admirably as service members.

My dad also went to NDSU and graduated with a degree in engineering. He worked a short time for Caterpillar in Illinois, then took his skill-set to use for the United States Navy on the USS Epperson in the late 1960's, before returning to North Dakota to take over the family ranch from my grandfather. While you may not consider him a "businessman" by your definition, I admire him like no one else. On any given day, he could fix five-ten miles of fence, keep 300+ cattle safe under his watch in the harshest of winters, and take apart almost any piece of farm machinery and fix it himself, all while providing and caring for his family, not to mention making some time to watch his kid play some basketball in grade and high school. I don't know how he ever found the time for it all...

I can promise you this: If your car is ever out of gas, your tire is flat, or you need some general assistance on Highway 85 about 23 miles north of Belfield, he will GUARANTEED offer to help you in any way he can -- and won't say a word about your University of North Dakota license plate frame and Fighting Sioux Indian-head sticker in your back window. He'll no doubt turn down any money you'd like to offer him in appreciation, wish you well, and send you on your merry way. You can drive away mumbling all you like about NDSU ranch hillbillies...he won't care at all.

I bet I could find dozens of UND law school students or graduates who would sooner book a summer crabbing in Alaska as opposed to work three months on my dad's ranch. The very notion that every graduate of NDSU who chooses farming or ranching as a career is somehow worthy of scorn and contempt from UND graduates like yourself makes my blood boil. In general, your commentary is "a joke." Anyone who doesn't believe that North Dakota consists of two very fine universities in UND and NDSU needs to have their head examined.

Nice post - both are great universities. I might also add

Steel Bridge Champions

and WEFTEC Student Design Competition Champions (Civil/Environmental Engineering) - 2007 (it was actually a tie with University of Florida)

The steel bridge contest is against all the engineering schools in the country. No other school has won it more than twice.

Both schools are great, both alumni bases raise a ton of money and both schools have academic and athletic accomplishments to be proud about. Saying that isn't so hard, not sure why it is so tough for other people. I've never understood why people feel the need to tear each other down academically, it is just stupid.

As for the game, be mad at Gene but he is only doing what he thinks is best for NDSU. That is his job and he has done it well. Take his offer, don't take it, whatever I don't care. Both schools have too much pride to give any ground so the only way this happens is a playoff game.

• Upvote 1

Both schools are great, both alumni bases raise a ton of money and both schools have academic and athletic accomplishments to be proud about. Saying that isn't so hard, not sure why it is so tough for other people. I've never understood why people feel the need to tear each other down academically, it is just stupid.

As for the game, be mad at Gene but he is only doing what he thinks is best for NDSU. That is his job and he has done it well. Take his offer, don't take it, whatever I don't care. Both schools have too much pride to give any ground so the only way this happens is a playoff game.

I agree on the acedemic part.

Gene still has a chapped butt because we didn't play him during SU's transition. He told a Fargo sportswriter friend of mine in the past that there will be no football game while he is there. That's fine with me but I wish he would own it and stop pretending he is trying to make something work. If he really wanted it to work we would be playing and you wouldn't be H&H with Weber St. UND will not bow down to him and take a one time game in Fargo and he knows it. That is why he make the offer.

I agree on the acedemic part.

Gene still has a chapped butt because we didn't play him during SU's transition. He told a Fargo sportswriter friend of mine in the past that there will be no football game while he is there. That's fine with me but I wish he would own it and stop pretending he is trying to make something work. If he really wanted it to work we would be playing and you wouldn't be H&H with Weber St. UND will not bow down to him and take a one time game in Fargo and he knows it. That is why he make the offer.

The H&H with Weber only happened because we had six home games for 2014 and needed to bank one for 2015. It was an opportunity created by being able to play 12 games this year and didn't happen until it was clear we didn't need another home game.

I do agree Gene doesn't want to play the game, he is making an offer that he knows BF and Bubba won't accept. That said he has to make an offer or Bismarck might schedule the game for him. I think the only way for the game to happen is if it is a playoff game or UND gives up something in return(like by accepting a 2 for 1).

The H&H with Weber only happened because we had six home games for 2014 and needed to bank one for 2015. It was an opportunity created by being able to play 12 games this year and didn't happen until it was clear we didn't need another home game.

I do agree Gene doesn't want to play the game, he is making an offer that he knows BF and Bubba won't accept. That said he has to make an offer or Bismarck might schedule the game for him. I think the only way for the game to happen is if it is a playoff game or UND gives up something in return(like by accepting a 2 for 1).

Why should UND have to do a 2 for 1? Montana got a H/H, Montana State got a H/H, Weber State got a H/H. NDSU did a 2 for 1 for South Dakota, because they were in the GWFC and games needed to be done. UND has 1 open spot for 2015, 2017, and 2018, 2016 is full, UND's schedule is filling up quick, and GT is missing out on pleasing Bismarck. They aren't idiots, they can see BF agreeing to GT's terms of a H/H in 15 and 17, then seeing GT backout and say its now a 2 for 0 for NDSU, then even countering his counter with a one game in Fargo. They can read between the lines.

Why should UND have to do a 2 for 1? Montana got a H/H, Montana State got a H/H, Weber State got a H/H. NDSU did a 2 for 1 for South Dakota, because they were in the GWFC and games needed to be done. UND has 1 open spot for 2015, 2017, and 2018, 2016 is full, UND's schedule is filling up quick, and GT is missing out on pleasing Bismarck. They aren't idiots, they can see BF agreeing to GT's terms of a H/H in 15 and 17, then seeing GT backout and say its now a 2 for 0 for NDSU, then even countering his counter with a one game in Fargo. They can read between the lines.

Because Gene has zero motivation to schedule the game right now. NDSU holds all the cards and if UND wants to get back on his good side they give a little to make it happen. But like I said before both sides have too much pride to give up anything and a playoff game is the only way a game will be played.

Because Gene has zero motivation to schedule the game right now. NDSU holds all the cards and if UND wants to get back on his good side they give a little to make it happen. But like I said before both sides have too much pride to give up anything and a playoff game is the only way a game will be played.

Please explain how NDSU holds ALL the cards?

Please explain how NDSU holds ALL the cards?

Every game is sold out and on TV. Fans are paying record ticket prices and a high premium just to tailgate. The scheduling model of buying home games has worked well and he only needs to find one more game for 2015 and one for 2016. He doesn't need to schedule the game, he can be selective as to who he wants to play.

Does anyone have any information on NDSU's foundation money balance? I thought UND had close to $300 million at one time last year...Is Fargo's amount that much bigger than ours? Also, how does the size the of schools compare once Fargo isn't giving out tuition waivers to everyone and their brother? Also, has NDSU gotten its budget back under control since Joe left...I had heard there were some issues with overspending at the University so as to align with Joe's plan of having the largest University in ND.

You are right, GT holds all the cards if the game is only to be played in Fargo. Likewise Faison holds all the cards if the game is only to be played in Grand Forks. Rivalry games involve 2 teams. I am quite confident both schools would want to host a game . Faison is the only one willing to play a game at both sites. So I agree the only way the game gets played would be in the playoffs. It is too bad GT isn't willing to have a true negotiation. At one time GT said he was negotiating, but as we later found out it was just hot air and backed out of the agreement. UND doesn't seem to have any problem filling their schedule right now. NDSU is the one that seems to have trouble getting home games. It certainly would appear NDSU holds less cards that they think they do. That is why NDSU has paid a lot of money to have low profile teams come play in Fargo the last few years to play non conference games. NDSU doesn't feel playing the UND game is important. A lot of people in the state will continue to disagree with GT.

Every game is sold out and on TV. Fans are paying record ticket prices and a high premium just to tailgate. The scheduling model of buying home games has worked well and he only needs to find one more game for 2015 and one for 2016. He doesn't need to schedule the game, he can be selective as to who he wants to play.

So games weren't sold out in 2012, and on KVLY when GT first offered the H/H in 2015, 2017? You are right he doesn't need to schedule the game, so why tell BF and the media...."we are still talking". Man up and just say we won't schedule UND until both teams have a 12 game season every year (FBS).

My brother-in-law and my sister both attended NDSU and graduated with degrees in architecture. They currently run a very successful business in the TC west metro and have immense talent in that field. They put their education to use not only for their business, but also in remodeling their own house as well. In addition, both served their country quite admirably as service members.

My dad also went to NDSU and graduated with a degree in engineering. He worked a short time for Caterpillar in Illinois, then took his skill-set to use for the United States Navy on the USS Epperson in the late 1960's, before returning to North Dakota to take over the family ranch from my grandfather. While you may not consider him a "businessman" by your definition, I admire him like no one else. On any given day, he could fix five-ten miles of fence, keep 300+ cattle safe under his watch in the harshest of winters, and take apart almost any piece of farm machinery and fix it himself, all while providing and caring for his family, not to mention making some time to watch his kid play some basketball in grade and high school. I don't know how he ever found the time for it all...

I can promise you this: If your car is ever out of gas, your tire is flat, or you need some general assistance on Highway 85 about 23 miles north of Belfield, he will GUARANTEED offer to help you in any way he can -- and won't say a word about your University of North Dakota license plate frame and Fighting Sioux Indian-head sticker in your back window. He'll no doubt turn down any money you'd like to offer him in appreciation, wish you well, and send you on your merry way. You can drive away mumbling all you like about NDSU ranch hillbillies...he won't care at all.

I bet I could find dozens of UND law school students or graduates who would sooner book a summer crabbing in Alaska as opposed to work three months on my dad's ranch. The very notion that every graduate of NDSU who chooses farming or ranching as a career is somehow worthy of scorn and contempt from UND graduates like yourself makes my blood boil. In general, your commentary is "a joke." Anyone who doesn't believe that North Dakota consists of two very fine universities in UND and NDSU needs to have their head examined.

I always just take that saying as trash talk on a fan site, nothing anyone who knows anything about NDSU really takes seriously. The reason ND has more millionaires than any other state is the farmers. But it's a funny saying and nice to toss out when someone is dissing UND.

Although I don't want to take your comment as a personal attack, I really have no choice but to take it as that. First off, I am a UND graduate, whereas the rest of my family is not; In fact, all of my other local family members obtained college degrees from NDSU. My immediate family is derived from North Dakota culture, dating back to the 1880s, and are farmers and ranchers of eastern North Dakota. I am proud to say they exhibit many of the attributes and attitudes you described your father and grandfather as having. It is important, I believe, to mention that they are not partial to either UND or NDSU, but the fact remains, UND is the flagship university of North Dakota. Anyone who objectively observes UND and NDSU will come to this conclusion. For example, UND was the first university established in the state of North Dakota and it receives the greatest financial support. Furthermore, the alumni base and academic options available at the University of North Dakota are more diverse than those available at NDSU - that's just the way it is.

With that being said, given my agricultural background, I appreciate what NDSU does for the state of North Dakota and its citizens. Don't try to make me look like the ignorant individual who has no appreciation for the culture and history of North Dakota. Ultimately, I stand by what I said earlier in that UND is a superior institution relative to NDSU; however, I certainly value NDSU's role in establishing agricultural, engineering, and managerial employees, among other similar professions, in North Dakota and the United States.

Please, don't jump to conclusions. I myself am a product of long-time North Dakota farmers and ranchers who have by far more in common with NDSU graduates than UND graduates. Nevertheless, when looking at the big picture, I find UND to be a more valuable institution than NDSU. Don't mistake that for me saying NDSU is invaluable. Just because gold is more valuable than silver, that doesn't mean silver is invaluable.

You seem to fit that bill as well. Beside your med and lawyer school you really dont have anything to trump NDSU academically. As far as your aviation school your students dont leave school and jump to flying for the big airlines. You can go get your private pilots license almost anywhere and then move up the ranks with flying time and qualifications. I would do more research on what NDSU has to offer so you at least sound like you actually received your degree from the school you are defending.

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/18348/publisher_ID/46/

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp%2B50/page+4

If you won't take my word for it, then read some other sources.

You can't tell me you honestly believe your better off going to NDSU if you want to get into commercial aviation. The aviation network is far, far more extensive at UND than at NDSU, so simply receiving your private pilot license and "working your way up" is not a very educated way of advancing one's aviation career.

UND's business school is nationally significant. In fact, many aspiring farmers and ranchers consider UND because of this. I personally know North Dakota farmers who went to UND over NDSU. They went the "business route" at UND and are very successful in the agricultural field right here in North Dakota.

UND's M.D. and law degree programs are substantial, but so is UND's nursing program relative to NDSU.

All in all, it doesn't sound like you want to acknowledge UND's national academic rankings.

I tend to believe Gene thinks the ac does not need the game.

Why? Given what we know, if he did think they need the game it would be scheduled by now. Does that mean Gene "holds all the cards" in scheduling the game? IMHO, yes.

Gene holds all the cards because he's sitting there with back to back to back rings on his hand and all is well in Fargo. Until those cards are played out nothing will change.

Why? Given what we know, if he did think they need the game it would be scheduled by now. Does that mean Gene "holds all the cards" in scheduling the game? IMHO, yes.

Gene holds all the cards because he's sitting there with back to back to back rings on his hand and all is well in Fargo. Until those cards are played out nothing will change.

We might as well call him Lucia.

I tend to agree with you. The only thing that has me scratching my head is why Gene Taylor doesn't just come out and say he's not interested in renewing this series at this time. If he has as much clout and stakeholder support as the Bison posters say he does, then why doesn't he just say that and cut the pretense? It appears to me that he's trying to appease some constituency into believing he's making a good faith effort to renew the series, even though he has no intention of doing so. I really don't care what he does at this point. I just prefer clarity.

Why do we get caught up in this crap? We don't need them and they certainly don't need us to have successful athletic programs...Its been proven time and again to be true.

Mafia Man, if you want to learn how to farm then go to NDSU...If you want to own the farm then go to UND {Dale Lennon}.

Why does NDSU hold all the cards? UND doesn't seem to have a problem filling a schedule. UND isn't in any kind of desperate situation. Far from that. It seems like both schools have cards to play. NDSU should have a huge card in that they more than likely would beat UND . Beating a rival should be fun. UND has a card in that it is a game that would create a lot of excitement even though they would get beat. In the big picture there is an extremely small chance that NDSU would be given a game by UND. It would seem like this would be a no lose for NDSU. Obviously Taylor does not want to risk playing the game in the slight chance they would lose the game. NDSU administration isn't as confident as a lot of people think they should be.

Why does NDSU hold all the cards? UND doesn't seem to have a problem filling a schedule. UND isn't in any kind of desperate situation. Far from that. It seems like both schools have cards to play. NDSU should have a huge card in that they more than likely would beat UND . Beating a rival should be fun. UND has a card in that it is a game that would create a lot of excitement even though they would get beat. In the big picture there is an extremely small chance that NDSU would be given a game by UND. It would seem like this would be a no lose for NDSU. Obviously Taylor does not want to risk playing the game in the slight chance they would lose the game. NDSU administration isn't as confident as a lot of people think they should be.

I don't think actually losing is the threshold here. The public believes the ac football program is light years ahead. And deservedly so. I doubt Gene wants to give UND the opportunity to show the public the gap isn't as wide as the public believes it to be.

I don't necessarily blame him. I do blame him for the the bs song and dance that's been going on in these "negotiations" though.