SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fans

CoteauRinkRat

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between Baker and Kupchella is that Baker was liked by at least 50% of the students/alumni/etc., probably much more. I have yet to hear a person who is happy with Kupchella. The guy is a arrogant, idiotic jerk who has no time for seemingly anyone. I mean they don't even have the Presidents BBQ anymore to welcome freshman to UND, do they? It may just be lip service, but at least it gives the freshman the illusion that Kupchella cares about them. I guess he believes that it is the mark of a good president for him to think he is above everyone who he is supposedly serving. :huh:

The difference between Baker and Kupchella is that Baker was liked by at least 50% of the students/alumni/etc., probably much more. I have yet to hear a person who is happy with Kupchella. The guy is a arrogant, idiotic jerk who has no time for seemingly anyone. I mean they don't even have the Presidents BBQ anymore to welcome freshman to UND, do they? It may just be lip service, but at least it gives the freshman the illusion that Kupchella cares about them. I guess he believes that it is the mark of a good president for him to think he is above everyone who he is supposedly serving. :huh:

There is a President's luncheon for non traditional students.

I think the Presient's BBQ still exists but he only shows up for maybe 10 minutes, or just long enough to be noticed and perhaps say a few words.

Who has he pleased? not sure, but I think it would be ND state board of Higher Ed who is happy with him. And the problem is, they would be dissatisfied if enrollment went down... SO, the success of UND right now for enrollment (regardless of the fact that he has nothing to do with it) is benefitting him the most.

And Baker was a great guy. I kept in touch with him after he left UND for a while.

I totally agree. I had the opportunity to speak with President Baker several times, and he always seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say and always remembered me by name.

On the opposite side, I spoke with President Kupchella once, about a month before I graduated in 2000. Chucky gave off a vibe of "why am I talking to you", and that being a student, I wasn't important enough to bother with. Likewise, when I went through the graduation ceremony, it was painfully clear that Chuck wanted to be anywhere but there. I think the UND community lost a great leader in Kendall Baker, and my early negative attitude towards President K. has only gotten worse.

That is exactly right, I can't stand talking to Chuck the man is self obsorbed, Kenndal Baker was a class act. I remember him sitting with the Students in the old Ralph both him and Toby. I honestly think its time to for Cup Cake to move on.

Maybe as alumni we need to express this to the Alumni assoc. I had heard that if Chuck would have pushed to change the name there was going to be a push for Chuck to be fired.

Rumor has it that Chuck was sat down by some people in the know and Chuck had the economics of the name and the arena explained (I am sure they dumbed it down so he could understand it) to him and apparently after he say the numbers and the financials explained to him he decided that changing the name was not a good thing to do.

The difference between Baker and Kupchella is that Baker was liked by at least 50% of the students/alumni/etc., probably much more.

Thats actually not too bad if your running for office. I am not sure how they (who ever it is that decides these kinds of things) decided that Cup Cake was a good selection for the precidency of UND.

I've had the chance to meet Baker, Uncle Chuck and Clifford. Everyone has said how I feel on Baker and Chuck. We're forgetting how tough of a job Baker had in replacing Clifford. The man/legend still hangs out at UND. If I remember correct, he told me that he used to walk to the union almost every morning that he could when he was president just to talk to students. The problem with UND is that it doesn't know where it wants to go. It wants to be a research institution which doesn't bode well for undergrads. It wants to increase enrollment (then why increase ACT?) without making any upgrades to handle the enrollment. It just seems that we are going in too many directions.

Were there ever letters about the students at the old Ralph? The students are very tame this year. I always loved reading the Final Five programs where they interviewed the captains from every school. UND was always voted best rink and fans/atmospere. Except for the Gopher captains. Bet you can't guess who they voted for! :huh:

How does UND (and whoever is hiring these people) keep coming up with such limp-wristed panty waists? I really thought Kendall Baker was the worst possible president, but after he's run out of town, along comes Uncle Chuck who is apparently cut from the same cloth.

No one is (nor should) make excuses for racially-motivated or slanted chants, etc. by anyone, but Kupchella has a stick pushed so far up a southern bodily orfice about athletics that I'm surprised his next crusade isn't to move the Sioux DOWN in NCAA division, rather than up ala 'SU.

This is the same guy who is pushing for the lofty ACT scores as entry requirements.

It would be too much to ask to have Clifford back in the saddle.

I imagine the tea and crumpets crowd in Grand Forks is happy with an intellectual like Kupchella, and would fight like the dickens to keep out a "people's president" like Clifford.

I say Uncle Phil should be the President he applied at Minot. I am guessing here he wants to be a pres. somewhere. Unless he is being groomed for UND..Hmmm.. :p

Plus he likes the Logo! :0:D:);)

I would like them to publish these so called "letters". I think they are BS and IMHO these folks are spewing sour grapes! ;)

Please, IMHO they just want a few free game worn hockey jerseys and hockey tickets for all the hurt that was caused them. :huh:

Ps everyone knows Toby ran the show. :p

I think it's your fault Diggler you won't let him stand next to you at the men's hockey games.. ;)

But to be fair I did see Chuck believe it or not at the women's hockey game this last weekend.

Slower paced probably could keep up with the play and the puck never leaves the ice so it's safe for him to watch!

Now if we could just get a few more people from the board to go to the women's games.... :p

This article, When sport is sullied by vulgarity, we all lose seems especially germane:

Are battle lines against unacceptable behavior being drawn more quickly and fervently these days? Not quickly or rabidly enough for many sports fans sickened and/or angered by R-rated antics.

Bad behavior is hardly a new phenomenon at sports arenas, but there's increasing willingness on the part of leagues and college presidents to stamp out crude, rude or antisocial behavior.

The Seattle Mariners two years ago attempted to ban T-shirts from Safeco Field if they contained any variation of the word "suck." With the New York Yankees in town, team officials angered free speakers and the American Civil Liberties Union by vigilantly enforcing the team's "family friendly" code of conduct.

This is tricky for teams or colleges to do, especially when their stadiums or arenas are public institutions paid for by tax dollars. That's the hurdle the University of Maryland faces in its renewed exploration of legal means of defining and restricting offensive speech and behavior at Comcast Center. The university called on the state attorney general last week to look into the matter. Maryland alums and school officials were embarrassed during the Maryland-Duke game, when some Terps fans spewed profanity.

The more they cursed, the more space and separation Redick created, the more three-pointers he swished. So much for intimidation.

School spirit is one thing. Unmitigated vulgarity is something else - and not very creative, as Maryland Coach Gary Williams pointed out in addressing Terrapins fans at Sunday's game against N.C. State. Williams is right, although maybe he should rethink some of his artery-busting sideline rants - all constructive criticisms of his players and/or officials.

The greatest thing about sports is that they don't need the increasingly crass "real world" intruding on its white lines for it to be what it is, or what it can be, at its best: spontaneous, unpredictable, thrilling, inspiring, amazing, graceful, jarring, joyous, agonizing.

Chucky gave off a vibe of "why am I talking to you", and that being a student, I wasn't important enough to bother with. Likewise, when I went through the graduation ceremony, it was painfully clear that Chuck wanted to be anywhere but there.

I have seen Chuck at two alumni events, and your description pretty much sums up his demeanor at these gatherings, also. Standing by yourself by the coat rack is no way to generate excitement, Chuck. While I don't know the man, my impression is that our University could use a much better ambassador than Chuck is capable of being.

It was about a week ago that the Fargo Forum ran a story on how NDSU officials would be changing how they handle the crowd at the BSA for the UND at NDSU games.

Now, just days before NDSU at UND, Dr. Kupchella rolls out this issue to Sioux fans.

Me-thinks this is far from coincidence.

Me-thinks this issue extends a level beyond either UND or NDSU. I'm not sure if it is the NCAA (remember, fans at a Michigan school were recently chastised) or if the ND State Board of Higher Education is behind it.

Either way, "Who's he ...." has been around longer than most students today have been alive. Come up with something new and creative. You're not shocking the players any more. I'm sure the students could come up with something newer and catchier.

I loved the "Martha Stuart" - "Martha's sister" creativity. It can be done. Who's going to step up and lead?

I read the article and it appears to be more a reaction to football than hockey, folks.

I am meeting with Adam Baker today to discuss this and find out the full story. There was no action planned and I really do not see how he could unless the fans were caught hurling racial slurs as well as other garbage of the physical nature...

Lawyers out thtere help me out, at a privately owned public school sponsored facility (REA) can either entity control freedom of speech? Getting rid of obscenities is nice, but not really possible due to these laws (if it wasn't for the Alaska series, I would have gone since BC since I uttered a swear word at a hockey event).

I am not going to go to Baker and complain about Kupchella or say he's a dork. I need to be constructive here folks, but if you have any questions or concerns, I'll check the board before I go to the meeting at 12:15.

redwing77:

Wasn't the deal that UND and REA would use all that technology (ring, the Daktronics boards) to help with student and crowd conduct by

- putting up the song lyrics (Fight on Sioux, Stand Up and Cheer, etc.)

- having a synchronized "SIEVE!" chant

- (other stuff here, ask Dirty or forecheck or anyone involved back then)

Maybe you want to ask Dr. Kupchella where that side of the "good conduct" deal is.

RedWing,

Ask Baker about the student suite that students were supposed to be able to win every weekend. We have had to put up with a lot of crap since REA opened, yet we never got what we were promised. We were told that the arena would be open all day so we could go in early and watch video highlights. The upper level people still have to wait outside (suckers!).

I really don't care about Baker being a nice guy.

I guess his one policy that is upsetting to almost all Sioux fans, was a big one. He was against the name and wanted to get rid of it. Not quite sure how you didn't notice that one.

No one ever said Baker wanted to get rid of the name. He was just trying to find a common ground so that people wouldn't complain about it. That is why when he got the job, he changed the logo to the geometric green thing that had the "good ol' boys" in an uproar. Ralph Englestad HATED that logo, he wanted the "BlackHawk" logo back.

3 Things HAD to happen at UND for that magnificent arena to be bulit. Wanless, the man who fired Gino, had to go - he did.

Baker, the man who changed the logo, had to go - he resigned...

and the logo had to change - and it did.

I am not going to argue with you all about if UND should have accepted the gift, or if the Board of Higher Edu. should have never cowered down when Ralph threatened them, because it's a never-ending argument... and that is not the point of this post.

The point of this post was to point out that Baker just got on the wrong side of Ralph Englestad, other than that, I felt that he did a pretty good job at UND. As others have stated, he was a Student's President...

The point of this post was to point out that Baker just got on the wrong side of Ralph Englestad, other than that, I felt that he did a pretty good job at UND.  As others have stated, he was a Student's President...

I have to respectfully disagree with your post. Although Baker was a very respectable man who took in the opinions and views from every side of every issue, he was looking at getting rid of the name. I guess that since a couple years have passed, some people want to forget that about the "Almighty Baker".

Lawyers out thtere help me out, at a privately owned public school sponsored facility (REA) can either entity control freedom of speech? Getting rid of obscenities is nice, but not really possible due to these laws (if it wasn't for the Alaska series, I would have gone since BC since I uttered a swear word at a hockey event).

REA could not pass a "no swearing" policy that would be unconstitutional. They can kick anyone out at their discretion for disorderly conduct. For disorderly conduct you have to do more than swear, you have to create a nuisance for those around you, i.e. fighting, threatening people, being drunk to the point your puking or falling on people.

Has the president of UND ever been to a hockey game? I wouldn't know him if I saw him.

The point of this post was to point out that Baker just got on the wrong side of Ralph Englestad, other than that, I felt that he did a pretty good job at UND.

I seem to recall that Baker didn't resign until after Ralph announced his gift. I liked Kendall Baker, but if you think his biggest mistake was getting on the wrong side of Ralph, then you either have a selective memory or don't know very about the situation.

REA could not pass a "no swearing" policy that would be unconstitutional. They can kick anyone out at their discretion for disorderly conduct. For disorderly conduct you have to do more than swear, you have to create a nuisance for those around you, i.e. fighting, threatening people, being drunk to the point your puking or falling on people.

Has the president of UND ever been to a hockey game? I wouldn't know him if I saw him.

You are wrong. As a privately-run facility, REA can regulate conduct and speech. It is not "state action" because it is not the government. Even if you could argue that it is "state action" because it involves UND, which is a state run institution, even the government can regulate speech under the 1st Amendment. It is called "time, place and manner" restrictions which are permissible. In other words, the state can regulate speech in certain places, facilities and events, particularly for speech that is entitled to little or no protection. Speech, including swearing, that falls into the category of non-protected speech such as "fighting words" "obscenity" and the like can be regulated without regard to time, place and manner.

Disorderly conduct is an example of a nebulous and very vaguely defined term. However, the ND Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of disorderly conduct statutes on several occasions.

I seem to recall that Baker didn't resign until after Ralph announced his gift. I liked Kendall Baker, but if you think his biggest mistake was getting on the wrong side of Ralph, then you either have a selective memory or don't know very about the situation.

Pat,

I will admit that my memory keeps getting worse each day, but I honestly think... never mind. :huh:

What is Kupchella talking about? Has he been to any other college in the country? I have been to many UND hockey and football games and I have never seen a student body more crazy and exciting than UND's. They are some of the best fans in the world. There are so many other colleges with students who are ignorant and immature.

Why did Kupchella come out and say those things now? Did something happen at UND that I'm not aware of? Unbelievable that Kupchella would go and say those things.

You are wrong. As a privately-run facility, REA can regulate conduct and speech. It is not "state action" because it is not the government. Even if you could argue that it is "state action" because it involves UND, which is a state run institution, even the government can regulate speech under the 1st Amendment. It is called "time, place and manner" restrictions which are permissible. In other words, the state can regulate speech in certain places, facilities and events, particularly for speech that is entitled to little or no protection. Speech, including swearing, that falls into the category of non-protected speech such as "fighting words" "obscenity" and the like can be regulated without regard to time, place and manner.

Disorderly conduct is an example of a nebulous and very vaguely defined term. However, the ND Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of disorderly conduct statutes on several occasions.

Boy you sound like a law school professor. Except you are wrong - when a private entity "opens it doors to the public" they are subject to the first amendment. I'm too lazy to find my con law book but I'm sure there is a few Supreme Court cases that can be found.

I saw Chucky walking at one of the hockey games. He was looking down and avoiding eye contact with everyone. Baker would have said hi, as well as CB. CB was always friendly at the old arena when students would go inside to warm up during the long wait for Gopher games. I also ran into him in the exercise room the team hotel in Madison. Very friendly.

It is interesting to see the Herald jump on the bandwagon and complain about students. Every article I have seen from the Herald has been negative regarding the students. Is their suite behind the students?