SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fans

CoteauRinkRat

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few drunken fratboys don't make up the "student body". That said I was not at the football games, but if there were racial comments, I would agree that is unacceptable. I suspect the 'racial comments' where actually degrading comments made about the South. I wonder how many complaints the NCAA would receive from these fans had their teams won?

I wonder how many complaints the NCAA would receive from these fans had their teams won?

Exactly. If Kupchella is going to believe everything in those letters, then I have a brige in Brooklyn I'd like to sell him. :)

Perspectives get skewed when your team is losing and the opposing fans are celebrating. I've called opposing fans classless many times when I'm frustrated after a tough loss.

It's quite possible that there may have been a few bad apples that crossed the line, but it sounds like there is going to be an overreaction that will keep the students from cheering at all. If the administration is only going to allow vanilla group cheers, then Sioux fans will be no different than Gopher fans. ;):sad:

:)

Kupchella has no credibility with the students. This will just make the students dislike him more. You never see him making postive comments about them and he doesn't try to associate with them. Whatever, he is such a clown.

He also has no credibility with certain almuni as well (myself included). I'm not worried he won't last long in the seat.

How does UND (and whoever is hiring these people) keep coming up with such limp-wristed panty waists? I really thought Kendall Baker was the worst possible president, but after he's run out of town, along comes Uncle Chuck who is apparently cut from the same cloth.

No one is (nor should) make excuses for racially-motivated or slanted chants, etc. by anyone, but Kupchella has a stick pushed so far up a southern bodily orfice about athletics that I'm surprised his next crusade isn't to move the Sioux DOWN in NCAA division, rather than up ala 'SU.

This is the same guy who is pushing for the lofty ACT scores as entry requirements.

It would be too much to ask to have Clifford back in the saddle.

I imagine the tea and crumpets crowd in Grand Forks is happy with an intellectual like Kupchella, and would fight like the dickens to keep out a "people's president" like Clifford.

This is the same guy who is pushing for the lofty ACT scores as entry requirements.

Question for you all? Do the institutional standards take precedance over the NCAA standards? I thought you had to have an ACT score of 17 or 18 to play college sports, but that could have just been the standards in North Dakota...

Anyone know the answer to this?

Question for you all? Do the institutional standards take precedance over the NCAA standards? I thought you had to have an ACT score of 17 or 18 to play college sports, but that could have just been the standards in North Dakota...

Anyone know the answer to this?

yes i'm sure institutional standards take precedence over the NCAA standards. IF they didn't, Blais and other coaches wouldn't even care about the proposed raising of the ACT scores.

I agree that this stuff gets old, but there has to be some credibility to these letters. At the football game against Winona State, there were numerous males sitting around me that insisted on calling the Winona players and cheerleaders "faggots" because their uniforms were purple. Since we were sitting in the first row close to the aisle, there were a bunch of Winona supporters and parents that came down by us to take pictures and watch practice, and they were not happy. Now, I don't exactly have the cleanest vocabulary at sporting events, but I personally think that is taking it too far. Especially when I heard that word about 100 times in the span of a couple hours.

Agreed... if it didn't happen, people wouldn't waste their time writing letters. Like all places, we have our a-hole fans too... :)

I definitely agree, but I also can already see where this is headed. It will be lumping all students into one group, and they will forget about all the other a@$hole fans throughout the buildings, who are not students.

This is the biggest Bull**** statement I think I have ever heard.

"I will be taking it to them, too," Kupchella said. "Of course, it isn't just students, but we have to start some place."

- Kupchella when asked about poor sportsmanship coming from non-students.

You know, I really shouldn't have to point this out to chicken Charlie, and the fact that I do makes it the most upsetting of all, but maybe instead of threatening students, he should try channeling their energy in more positive directions. I personally love the band at the games, but others have said that the band stinks. If that's so, get them more of a budget so that they can improve and travel w/ the team. Offer more credits for being a member of the hockey band. Put the lyrics to the school songs on the fascia ring. Then use the band to pre-empitvely divert the fans' efforts instead of leaving them to find their own "inappropriate" cheers. Acknowledge the positive examples of rooting w/ good sportsmenship like the signs YaneA and others put together. Anyways, you get the idea. I'm sure there are lots of things that could be done. Negative reinforcement alone is not likely to improve the situation.

I am constantly surprised by just how small-minded Kupchella is. IMHO, universities should not be run by PhDs. People with experience running large diverse organizations should be running universities. I think a great replacement for CK would be UND alumnus and former state governor Ed Schafer.

Having known both Baker and Kupchella personally, I can attest that Baker was a very nice guy. I don't know what his policies were that were so upsetting to you all, maybe I just didn't notice. But I can say honestly that Kupchella isn't about students. If you ever see him and talk to him, he has the most vacant stare, like he isn't listening to you or maybe just bored. I don't know.

I do not care to read the statement. I don't care about it at all. Then again, the University doesn't have to worry about me ever giving any money to the University as an alumni (which I am technically from my first degree). This University has its head up its backside.

I understand about cleaning up the language around children and in the PUBLIC areas of the arena, but in the student section, who cares.

Having known both Baker and Kupchella personally, I can attest that Baker was a very nice guy. I don't know what his policies were that were so upsetting to you all, maybe I just didn't notice.

I really don't care about Baker being a nice guy.

I guess his one policy that is upsetting to almost all Sioux fans, was a big one. He was against the name and wanted to get rid of it. Not quite sure how you didn't notice that one.

You know, I really shouldn't have to point this out to chicken Charlie, and the fact that I do makes it the most upsetting of all, but maybe instead of threatening students, he should try channeling their energy in more positive directions.  I personally love the band at the games, but others have said that the band stinks.  If that's so, get them more of a budget so that they can improve and travel w/ the team.  Offer more credits for being a member of the hockey band.  Put the lyrics to the school songs on the fascia ring.  Then use the band to pre-empitvely divert the fans' efforts instead of leaving them to find their own "inappropriate" cheers.  Acknowledge the positive examples of rooting w/ good sportsmenship like the signs YaneA and others put together.  Anyways, you get the idea.  I'm sure there are lots of things that could be done.  Negative reinforcement alone is not likely to improve the situation.

Most bands will "intervene" if a bad chant starts up if there is no play on, but most college pep bands get boned from the get go...no money for them and new music, so you are stuck with old 70's tunes that sucked then. Adding the words to "good" songs/chants is a good idea, but it doesn't always work either. The best way to get a group of students do do the "right" thing is do it ala (*SHUDDER*) the BADgers. That student section rocks, is loud and cohesive, but actually generally "behaved". Teach 'em young and teach 'em often as freshmen.

WPoS

Kupchella was the one who was against the nickname, :) not Baker. Baker was a student's President. He associated more with the students than with the board, and that is what ultimately got him ran out of town.

I met Baker my freshman year while walking to class. He stopped me and asked me how things were going and if I liked my classes and the school. At the time I didn't know who he was until we exchanged names. Over a year later I ran into him again while I was walking to class. He not only remembered my name but when and where we had met. I was very impressed. Baker went out of his way to associate with students, and find out what it was that they wanted.

I have some rather creative remarks about how I think Chucky is running this University, but this is a family board :(

Racial slurs and comments should not be tolerated....agreed. I don't think anyone is disputing this at all. But, to say that the student section is classless...I take offense to that as a student. What he is refering to as "inappropriate" cheers are the same ones that are used all over the country at probably every school (I bet even Cornell and ;) Harvard :sad: ). Besides, we haven't even been that bad this year. :)

Kupchella was the one who was against the nickname, :huh:  not Baker.  Baker was a student's President.  He associated more with the students than with the board, and that is what ultimately got him ran out of town.

Actually President Baker was really fun to talk to, he would come out to the football games and socialize with the students at tail gating events. He was the students president and a very nice person to talk to. I think President Cup Cake is an empty suit. All the times I have conversed with President Charles I have found him to uninterested in much of anything but himself.

Some of the article seems to be sour grapes. I was at the UNA game and I thought the fans were pretty well behaved. I am sure UND would have put up with some of the same crap in other venues as well...

Actually President Baker was really fun to talk to, he would come out to the football games and socialize with the students at tail gating events. He was the students president and a very nice person to talk to. I think President Cup Cake is an empty suit. All the times I have conversed with President Charles I have found him to uninterested in much of anything but himself.

I totally agree. I had the opportunity to speak with President Baker several times, and he always seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say and always remembered me by name.

On the opposite side, I spoke with President Kupchella once, about a month before I graduated in 2000. Chucky gave off a vibe of "why am I talking to you", and that being a student, I wasn't important enough to bother with. Likewise, when I went through the graduation ceremony, it was painfully clear that Chuck wanted to be anywhere but there. I think the UND community lost a great leader in Kendall Baker, and my early negative attitude towards President K. has only gotten worse.

I had no problem with Baker and I liked the fact that you would see him on campus. But lets not forget who was the guy to suggest UND start using the geometric style logo on the hockey jerseys. He didn't leave on good terms with some big donors, lets just leave it at that.

I thought it was his wife's idea. Yes, he was a great student present, with the exception of the name issue. Who is Chuck keeping happy? There must be some reason he still has his job.