SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey: "It's Always A Home Game"

Dave Berger

how is there no truth to his post and what makes it crap?

Having traveled to every Final Five tournament since 1999 except one (2002-I got sick), it was easy to notice all the cars with North Dakota license plates and Fighting Sioux decals traveling on I-94 with me. I also have noticed the same thing on I-29 when our FB team played in places like Brookings and Sioux Falls, SD during our NCC days.

I am sure that there are a lot of our fans that live down there that make a point to go to our games, but he was making it sound like we don't travel as well as some people think, which is pure crap.

I always think the word 'traveling fan base" is overrated. Case in point, there are a lot of UND fans that travel to the final five but with 20,000 UND alumni living in the twin cities I wouldn't doubt most of them travel from the suberbs. Same thing with Denver, there are a lot of North Dakota transplants that live in the Denver area. No doubt, there are fans that travel from Grand Forks I just think the majority of fans at the away arenas live in those cities. You can say the same thing about when Minnesota plays in CC or Denver, there are alot of Gopher fans in the arena but I willing to bet most of them live in the Denver area.

Myself and a friend are flying from AZ for the tourney.

As we've done the last 3 years since moving here. :)

Having traveled to every Final Five tournament since 1999 except one (2002-I got sick), it was easy to notice all the cars with North Dakota license plates and Fighting Sioux decals traveling on I-94 with me. I also have noticed the same thing on I-29 when our FB team played in places like Brookings and Sioux Falls, SD during our NCC days.

I am sure that there are a lot of our fans that live down there that make a point to go to our games, but he was making it sound like we don't travel as well as some people think, which is pure crap.

Your right, maybe I should have worded it differently. All I'm saying is when I hear that certain fan bases travels well they are implying they travel from the city where the school is located in which I think is misleading. Of course there are fans that travel from Grand Forks to away games ( Final Five in the cities, Saint Cloud, Mankato, Denver) but to say all of them came from Grand Forks is hard to believe.

The last several years we have traveled to St. Paul for the WCHA final five. This year we will be going to the first NCHC Frozen Face-off. Our daughter will be flying in from Denver to meet us. Speaking from experience there will be more Sioux fans on both of those flights than Denver fans will have at the games this weekend.

I live 280 miles west of Grand Forks,have season tickets. I know a guy from Montana who has season tickets,see him at almost every home game I go to. We both attend Final 5 every year. Took a bus to Omaha from Bismarck with fans from Hazen,Bismarck,Williston,and points in between. Have not attended a regional, although would love to. Reason being- we just get home from St. Paul on Sunday and to turn around and head to Mich.,NH,Wisc.,etc. on Thursday for a regional is not doable for us as we will for sure be going to the Frozen Four if they make it. No doubt having the conference tournament in the cities is a benefit for Sioux attendance,it would be darn good anyway. If there is any way you could find out hotel occupancy numbers by Sioux fans I think it would prove this point.

Relax Goon, All I'm saying is when there are UND fans in away arenas NOT all of them travel from Grand Forks. Like I said there are many many transplants that live in the cities, Denver, etc. As for the Omaha games, no doubt there were a lot of UND fans there but to say most of them traveled from Grand Forks is a reach IMO. At the Final five the UND fans I sat next to all of them ( around a dozen lived in suburbs of Minneapolis)

Let's do the math, you said 20,000 UND alum live in the Metro area. They're not all coming from that area. They're coming from all over the place. There's more coming from Grand Forks than you think.

I live 280 miles west of Grand Forks,have season tickets. I know a guy from Montana who has season tickets,see him at almost every home game I go to. We both attend Final 5 every year. Took a bus to Omaha from Bismarck with fans from Hazen,Bismarck,Williston,and points in between. Have not attended a regional, although would love to. Reason being- we just get home from St. Paul on Sunday and to turn around and head to Mich.,NH,Wisc.,etc. on Thursday for a regional is not doable for us as we will for sure be going to the Frozen Four if they make it. No doubt having the conference tournament in the cities is a benefit for Sioux attendance,it would be darn good anyway. If there is any way you could find out hotel occupancy numbers by Sioux fans I think it would prove this point.

Now that some miles... We need a like button for that post.

Let's do the math, you said 20,000 UND alum live in the Metro area. They're not all coming from that area. They're coming from all over the place. There's more coming from Grand Forks than you think.

I bet the UND alum in the metro stat is higher than that...there are 3.5 million residents of the MSP/StP MSA. 20,000 would be 0.5% of all residents...I sure seem to see more Sioux gear than that around here!

I live in the Twin Cities now, but I was in college when I started coming down for these games. Gotta stick with tradition. I think it's that way for a lot of people I went to college with. I remember being at the X and having someone come up to me and say, " Hey! I know you! We stood in the hockey line together!" Love that stuff.

My roommate and I drove overnight to Oxford, OH in October, so yes, Sioux fans travel from all over. We thought the turnout there was light, but the Miami fans said it was the best showing of visitor fans they've ever had, so I guess it depends... We also went to Omaha and Bemidji. If we have time and money and we can get there by car, we're going!

Your right, maybe I should have worded it differently. All I'm saying is when I hear that certain fan bases travels well they are implying they travel from the city where the school is located in which I think is misleading. Of course there are fans that travel from Grand Forks to away games ( Final Five in the cities, Saint Cloud, Mankato, Denver) but to say all of them came from Grand Forks is hard to believe.

Someone said every single Sioux fan at away games is from Grand Forks? I just think the article and comments point to the pride we have in how far our fans travel to see the team. I lived in Colorado Springs for a few years and I was at UND and UM series vs CC. Not even close in fan support unless Minnesota fans were all hiding in Tiger jerseys.

I always think the word 'traveling fan base" is overrated. Case in point, there are a lot of UND fans that travel to the final five but with 20,000 UND alumni living in the twin cities I wouldn't doubt most of them travel from the suberbs.

Here's a quote from Polly P., Target Center Guest Services:

"As for specific seating locations, tickets have been sold on a first-come, first served basis so there are no actual 'sections' held. However, I can tell you just from my experience with this event so far, the majority of the arena will be the 'North Dakota Section'! :)"

I think we need to assume that she's basing her information on zip codes and/or phone numbers, since a Declaration of Team Allegiance is not required to purchase ticket packages.

And when we consider that her email reply was written on February 26th (when St. Cloud and Duluth fans were also buying tickets), we can conclude that North Dakota fans do indeed travel well.

Dave

• Upvote 3

It was a larger crowd than I was expecting with students gone and a 7 p.m. start. With such a large season ticket base in Fargo, I would be in favor of Sunday's Game 3 being played at 6:08 p.m.

I'm not saying that's all of it, but I know quite a few friends who live in Fargo who didn't come up because at the earliest, they'd get home at 11 p.m.

Dave

Forgive me for butting in, but this is a very valid suggestion. I have no idea if it's something that's previously been discussed internally over here, but I'll certainly run it up the chain for discussion in future years.

Jayson,

I have to tell you that I really appreciate the time you take to listen to fans' comments and suggestions. We are truly lucky to have you and the rest of the staff at UND, and you all do an outstanding job!

Dave

• Upvote 1

Maybe a more appropriate phrase would be "North Dakota fans always show up."

The practice of saying that one fan base or another "travels well" is one that the media employs to illustrate passion and commitment of a team's fans. And fans of UND hockey seem to have passion and commitment in spades.

And I don't think anyone was saying that all of the North Dakota fans at Target Center this weekend will be driving from Grand Forks. That's just silly. But all of them are connected to the program in some way, and that's pretty special.

Dave

Someone said every single Sioux fan at away games is from Grand Forks? I just think the article and comments point to the pride we have in how far our fans travel to see the team. I lived in Colorado Springs for a few years and I was at UND and UM series vs CC. Not even close in fan support unless Minnesota fans were all hiding in Tiger jerseys.

. Maybe they were wearing their 'empty seat' uniforms as worn in the yellow section at the John

You also have to account that not every fan travels from the city of the school. I went to Colorado Springs and Grand Rapids last year and Omaha and Boston this year, and I live in the northern tip of Maine (making even Boston a 6 hour drive). Just because people don't travel from Grand Forks doesn't mean people don't travel.

• Upvote 3

Of course you can argue that many of the away fans probably already live in the larger metro areas of these teams. But fans still have to buy the tickets and go to the games. No matter how you phrase it, UND seems to bring large contingents of enthusiastic fans regardless of the venue.

This is great. Like I said above, however you slice it, "North Dakota hockey fans show up".

Dave

• Upvote 1

One thing is obvious about the fans who travel, they are true SIOUX fans. Often with a loud "SIOUX" at the end of the anthem, and always with a good number of "Let's Go Sioux" chants in opponents barns. Quite frankly, I love to hear it over any webcast, and gladly take part when I'm "traveling" for a game.

Sadly, I don't hear that type of cheering from fans at REA when games are broadcast there. Occasionally someone will get a wave going, or maybe a "Let's Go Sioux" chant will catch on on a late power play, but many times these efforts fall short of what I've heard in other arena's (especially the Xcel center).

Let's rock the Target Center next weekend, and I hope hear the chants loud and proud in Philly!

Let's Go Sioux!!!

This always gets me! Are these loud traveling fans not in the REA?!!

Also the comment about many fans live where these games are, how can you NOT believe there's a lot of truth to that?

Which I feel is a great thing and by no means a knock on the people that travel, me included!

When I read his post I thought....oh oooh stepping on the alumni feet, this ought to be good...

Maybe a more appropriate phrase would be "North Dakota fans always show up."

The practice of saying that one fan base or another "travels well" is one that the media employs to illustrate passion and commitment of a team's fans. And fans of UND hockey seem to have passion and commitment in spades.

And I don't think anyone was saying that all of the North Dakota fans at Target Center this weekend will be driving from Grand Forks. That's just silly. But all of them are connected to the program in some way, and that's pretty special.

Dave

Dave says it so well. I don't think anyone was trying to piss anyone off.

The Sioux won everyone, let's party!