SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. WESTERN MICHIGAN

AZSIOUX

Sioux fans better hope their players aren't looking past this weekend

While they picked up two 3-2 wins in November at Kalamazoo, in both game they were very much out played.

Different Bronco goalie this time around (hopefully)

We will credit your basic lack of understanding and familiarity with Fighting Sioux hockey due to your team coming into the NCHC from a different league than the WCHA. First of all, Dave Hakstol coached UND hockey teams are significantly different after Christmas than before Christmas. The teams generally have the highest or one of the highest winning percentages in the NCAA after Christmas. The team the Broncos will face will be a much better team than the one that swept them in Kalamazoo. Second, goalie Gothberg has lost exactly one game since the month of November. Third, the Broncos will be facing the highest scoring defensive corps in the nation. Fourth, at this time of year UND hockey teams do not overlook any game. They are playing for the Penrose Cup, which can only be decided this weekend, not next weekend. Fifth, UND is playing for pairwise position, which means absolutely every single game has an impact on NCAA tournament positioning. Every game is the most important game at that time. Sixth, the Broncos will be playing before a sellout crowd of more than 11,600 Fighting Sioux fans that create a hostile environment. Seventh, unlike the Broncos, UND does not need to look ahead and focus on winning the NCHC playoffs to make the NCAA tournament.

We hope that you will come away from this weekend's game with a much better understanding of the tradition behind UND Fighting Sioux hockey, and the error of your thinking. Welcome to the board, We appreciate opposing fans coming aboard for serious discussion.

We will credit your basic lack of understanding and familiarity with Fighting Sioux hockey due to your team coming into the NCHC from a different league than the WCHA. First of all, Dave Hakstol coached UND hockey teams are significantly different after Christmas than before Christmas. The teams generally have the highest or one of the highest winning percentages in the NCAA after Christmas. The team the Broncos will face will be a much better team than the one that swept them in Kalamazoo. Second, goalie Gothberg has lost exactly one game since the month of November. Third, the Broncos will be facing the highest scoring defensive corps in the nation. Fourth, at this time of year UND hockey teams do not overlook any game. They are playing for the Penrose Cup, which can only be decided this weekend, not next weekend. Fifth, UND is playing for pairwise position, which means absolutely every single game has an impact on NCAA tournament positioning. Every game is the most important game at that time. Sixth, the Broncos will be playing before a sellout crowd of more than 11,600 Fighting Sioux fans that create a hostile environment. Seventh, unlike the Broncos, UND does not need to look ahead and focus on winning the NCHC playoffs to make the NCAA tournament.

We hope that you will come away from this weekend's game with a much better understanding of the tradition behind UND Fighting Sioux hockey, and the error of your thinking. Welcome to the board, We appreciate opposing fans coming aboard for serious discussion.

:crazy:???

While they picked up two 3-2 wins in November at Kalamazoo, in both game they were very much out played.

I feel like the fact that we got a sweep at a time when we were playing poorly says something...

Maybe it's just me.

YEAH, what he said!

Nice!

Broncos are a very average team however they can surprise teams so you are right, und can't look past them.

However, you sound a little too confident bud.

Yeah, I'm sure UND is looking past the biggest weekend of the regular season and their chance to hoist the Penrose Cup in the inaugural year of the NCHC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be easy but echoing other's sentiments, we are a much better team than the one that swept the Broncos in their own arena.

Also, I see WMU's PP is clipping along at 12.3%, good for 4th worst in the nation and ahead of only CC, Niagra, and Huntsville...and Sioux fans were complaining about our powerplay. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Agree that the Sioux are looking much better, but the Broncos have a lot on the line as well. I think Andy Murray's teams are hard working and will give us fits. And while you are trying to school a Bronco fan on the history of Hak's teams, you might want to school a lot of UND fans of the same. It has come to the point where when we lose the Fire Hak thread is active, and when we win a bunch in a row, many fans get cocky. That brashness has come back to bite Sioux fans in the past, because when everybody thinks they can't be beaten, inevitably, that is when they lay an egg. It is one thing to be confident, but sometimes it borders on overconfidence.

Like last year? We lost a frustrating play-in game and still didn't win it all and were out-skated by the eventual National Champions, the Yale Bulldogs.

BC has won National Titles in 2001, 2008, 2010, & 2012. Guess what else they did every single one of those years? Won the conference tournament.

In other words, the argument that the team won't have their legs under them because they roll through the tournament doesn't hold much water.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't BC have a weekend off between the conference tournament and the regionals?

Agree that the Sioux are looking much better, but the Broncos have a lot on the line as well. I think Andy Murray's teams are hard working and will give us fits. And while you are trying to school a Bronco fan on the history of Hak's teams, you might want to school a lot of UND fans of the same. It has come to the point where when we lose the Fire Hak thread is active, and when we win a bunch in a row, many fans get cocky. That brashness has come back to bite Sioux fans in the past, because when everybody thinks they can't be beaten, inevitably, that is when they lay an egg. It is one thing to be confident, but sometimes it borders on overconfidence.

I mean as long as the fans confidence doesn't affect how the team plays(spoiler alert:it doesn't) then it's not really an issue if some fans want to be over-confident or cocky. They only risk getting it thrown back in their own face so I don't have a problem with over-confidence. In fact, it's a 1000x better than woe is me, the Sioux suck, fire hak crap.

going back to 1980 and correct me if I am wrong, but every UND team that has a won the national title has also won the post season conference tournament.

Looks they did not win the conference tournament in 80 & 82 but did win it in 87,97, and 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Dakota_men%27s_ice_hockey

Please read carefully. At no time did I say the Sioux are definitely going to win. The poster commented that UND will face a different Broncos team. I posted several reasons that the Broncos will see a different UND team. I also pointed out that there is no reason for the players to overlook this weekend's series in order to get to the first round of the playoffs. I expect it to be a tough series, but I am reasonably optimistic the good guys will win because of the factors that I mentioned.

I was also trying to counter a post that some or many would read as flame throwing from an opposing fan, in a non-confrontational manner, and maybe encourage some good discussion instead of the frequent meaningless sniping. :hypocrite:

• Upvote 3

so off topic,but in 1980 they have two WCHA playoff series, go 4-0 and don't win the tournament??? how was the post season tournamnet crowned back then?

The playoffs were 2 game total goal series at every level, but most years they didn't play for a championship. Most years they played 2 rounds and the winners of the 2nd weekend usually both went to the NCAA. A few years they played the 3rd weekend and crowned a champion, like 1977. But I don't remember why they did it that way, I just went to the WCHA website and looked at the tournament history. I believe that UND and Minnesota both won 2 rounds in 1980, but they didn't play for a championship. They started playing for a championship on a regular basis in 81-82. UND lost to Wisconsin in the 2nd round, and Wisconsin beat Minnesota in the championship round. The WCHA went to a final 4 single game elimination in 1988.

Please read carefully. At no time did I say the Sioux are definitely going to win. The poster commented that UND will face a different Broncos team. I posted several reasons that the Broncos will see a different UND team. I also pointed out that there is no reason for the players to overlook this weekend's series in order to get to the first round of the playoffs. I expect it to be a tough series, but I am reasonably optimistic the good guys will win because of the factors that I mentioned.

I was also trying to counter a post that some or many would read as flame throwing from an opposing fan, in a non-confrontational manner, and maybe encourage some good discussion instead of the frequent meaningless sniping. :hypocrite:

Guess, I didn't view the Bronco post quite as a flame, just as a reminder that we shouldn't be too overconfident based on the results in two wins on the road.

I mean as long as the fans confidence doesn't affect how the team plays(spoiler alert:it doesn't) then it's not really an issue if some fans want to be over-confident or cocky. They only risk getting it thrown back in their own face so I don't have a problem with over-confidence. In fact, it's a 1000x better than woe is me, the Sioux suck, fire hak crap.

Guess that is my pet peeve -- people who say how bad we suck and how the team has no talent, then turn around after a winning steak and talk smack, then disappear from sight when its time to pay the piper for the smack talk. Kind of a bit of Karma in those things, as I remember getting blasted by gopher fans after the game when the Sioux lost the Final Five on Wheelers goal, then UND beat them in the regionals. Similarily, a few years ago when the Sioux beat the gophers on that great comeback in the Final Five then got beat the following weekend in the St. Paul regional. I think a lot of people realized there was that possibility to play them again, therefore were cautious about getting to high, but there were those that did the same as the gopher fans did to us. Karma 101.

Interesting stuff, 2 penrose

“We do have two Penrose Cups,” Fenton said.

“We’ve had a few people that have been very perceptive and picked up on this, because we’ve had a trophy tour that’s been going on the last four, five, six, seven weeks, and one weekend we had it where the tour was in CC and DU, one night each, and a tour date at the same time where I think it was at Duluth, and so one trophy can’t be in two places at once, and that was

http://www.uscho.com/2014/03/06/destination-unknown-for-penrose-cups-yes-plural-entering-the-final-weekend/

Interesting stuff, 2 penrose

“We do have two Penrose Cups,” Fenton said.

“We’ve had a few people that have been very perceptive and picked up on this, because we’ve had a trophy tour that’s been going on the last four, five, six, seven weeks, and one weekend we had it where the tour was in CC and DU, one night each, and a tour date at the same time where I think it was at Duluth, and so one trophy can’t be in two places at once, and that was

http://www.uscho.com...-final-weekend/

LOL! And my guess is that one will be in Colorado Springs this weekend while the other one is in Grand Forks.