Class B Tournament in Grand Forks

SiouxVolley

3. North Star

4. Linton

5. Cavalier

6. Beulah

7. Flasher

8. New Town

Attendance was also pretty good--7100 for the championship game and 30,000 for the tournament.

Thank you kindly.

Has Linton won any additional titles besides the back-to-backs in 1984 and 1985?

They won in 2009: http://ndsportspage....onships-Class-B

As I looked over that list, it's hard to believe Hillsboro hasn't won a title since 1981.

Great link, thanks again.

Aneta win the title in 1935...I remember McVille was in the tournament a number of years ago. It's a shame all the co-ops that have popped up and the schools that have closed over the decades. I think Region 8 consisted of four districts with 5-6 teams in it...those were the good old days...

Personally, I really was not impressed with the Alerus, can't stand how there is about 40 feet of concrete between the basketball court and the nearest seat, and the FargoDome is just about as bad. I love the B, and love having it in town, but I think it should be in Bismarck or Minot every year as the venues are perfect for it. In my opinion, the only way it should be in Grand Forks is if it is in the Ralph, which would be difficult with current scheduling issues.

Personally, I really was not impressed with the Alerus, can't stand how there is about 40 feet of concrete between the basketball court and the nearest seat, and the FargoDome is just about as bad. I love the B, and love having it in town, but I think it should be in Bismarck or Minot every year as the venues are perfect for it. In my opinion, the only way it should be in Grand Forks is if it is in the Ralph, which would be difficult with current scheduling issues.

Wouldn't the Betty be big enough?

Wouldn't the Betty be big enough?

The Betty is way to small. Crowds of 10,000 can be possible with the right matchups and weather. The Betty is used for regional B tournamets (Region 2), as crowds don't exceed 3 k.

The Class B boys is switching back to the same weekend as the NCHC/WCHA/B1G conference finals in Minneapolis. That means the REA might be open if the women aren't playing. Hosting the Class B might be possible, which would bring in bucks to the REA and UND sports.

The FargoDome and the Alerus Center are perfect for prep football finals, but have too much space for basketball.

The Betty is way to small. Crowds of 10,000 can be possible with the right matchups and weather. The Betty is used for regional B tournamets (Region 2), as crowds don't exceed 3 k.

The Class B boys is switching back to the same weekend as the NCHC/WCHA/B1G conference finals in Minneapolis. That means the REA might be open if the women aren't playing. Hosting the Class B might be possible, which would bring in bucks to the REA and UND sports.

The FargoDome and the Alerus Center are perfect for prep football finals, but have too much space for basketball.

Gotcha. Question...do they play many bball games in the Ralph?

Gotcha. Question...do they play many bball games in the Ralph?

Not too often, they had the UND/NDSU basketball game in there 2 years ago, but I believe that was the last time they hosted a basketball game. I really liked the basketball setup in the Ralph, obviously it's far better than the Alerus or FargoDome, What better location could host the state tournament than the nicest building in the state??

The Ralph hosted the Class A girls bball tourney a few years back I believe...2006 maybe?

The Class A girls and boys are normally co-located somewhere where there's two courts, so the Ralph and the Betty must have done it together. The Class B girls and boys don't need that arranagement, as they are not the same weekend.

The Class A girls and boys are normally co-located somewhere where there's two courts, so the Ralph and the Betty must have done it together. The Class B girls and boys don't need that arranagement, as they are not the same weekend.

I'm pretty sure that they put 2 courts in the Alerus Center and had boys and girls games going at the same time. They may have had a curtain between the courts. I think they did that at the Fargodome in the past also.

Interesting topic - I really believe that there is no great way to divide the classes - put Grafton in class A and they get hammered, put them in class B and year in year out they do the hammering because they have many times more students than some of the smaller schools. All of the old small class A schools are now class B - Rugby, Grafton, Trinity, Bottineau, etc and not just because of population loss - they either are at the bottom of class A or the top of class B. These teams seem to dominate now, and mainly because of numbers. This is not to say smaller schools don't get to the dance because they do, but it is frustrating to watch a team like Trinity who recruits and keeps their numbers under the class A limit take it to the public class B schools. Same thing year in year out with Shilo Christian.

Why would they cap their enrollment around 150 when the cuttoff for Class A is around 325?

I'm pretty sure that they put 2 courts in the Alerus Center and had boys and girls games going at the same time. They may have had a curtain between the courts. I think they did that at the Fargodome in the past also.

You are correct.

I see tonight they had the A girls playing at Minot High, and had the A boys playing at the Minot State Dome.

I wonder why they aren't using the auditorium for the girls...

Well maybe they are, I don't know!

I'm not that familiar with Minot. The girls were playing in a gym that just said Minot at center court. It had a curtain for a stage at one end. I just assumed it was Minot's high school gym.

Disclaimer: My senior high school class had 25 graduates. A record for my school. When I see bleachers and a curtain in a gym that tells me "High School facility". Perhaps that is not the case in Minot, Bismarck, Grand Forks, etc................

I honestly don't know where the girls were playing, but it wasnt' at the MSU Dome............

Well maybe they are, I don't know!

I'm not that familiar with Minot. The girls were playing in a gym that just said Minot at center court. It had a curtain for a stage at one end. I just assumed it was Minot's high school gym.

Disclaimer: My senior high school class had 25 graduates. A record for my school. When I see bleachers and a curtain in a gym that tells me "High School facility". Perhaps that is not the case in Minot, Bismarck, Grand Forks, etc................

I honestly don't know where the girls were playing, but it wasnt' at the MSU Dome............

Sounds like the Minot Auditorium to me...

Sounds like the Minot Auditorium to me...

Yeah, that's the auditorium. Not an awful place to play. We drove up from Rhame for Class B day up there and played Bowbells when I was a senior. The place is showing its age but it was a fun experience for a bunch of guys who played half of their games in the gym in Rhame...