SiouxSports.com Forum

Class B Tournament in Grand Forks

SiouxVolley

Sad as it is maybe having the tourny next year at the Scheels will create some of the old atmosphere. The REA is just to darn big. Reminds me of the Minnesota girls tourney being played at the X instead of Ridder where it belongs.

True 'dat! It's absolutely absurd that the girls are wasting their time in front of 500-2,000 fans in the Xcel Energy Center. Common sense would tell you that that tournament would have more success and be a lot more "alive" in a smaller venue.

But, good old Minnesota..."well if the boys have it there, the girls have to have it there too..."

Jack Michaels from www.740thefan.com says Bismarck doesn't care if they get the State B back, as the WDA is a bigger deal for them. Says as long as State B and WDA are same weekend, this will be the case.

I don't believe his take.

He's got to be joking, right? The WDA tournament is a bigger deal? No way.

On a side note the Park Christian boys play the only undefeated boy's BB team left in all of MN, Battle Lake, tomorrow at Concordia with a chance to advance to their 1st ever state tournament.

GO FALCONS!!!

I think you can look at my hometown of Beulah as an answer to this. We spent about ten years in class A, with graduating classes of about 100 students in the late 90's and early 2000's. Don't think we went to state a single time. The closest we came was a state play in game the year before moving back down that we lost by 3. The years right before moving up we took 2nd and third at state. They've gone to state 3 times in 8 years since moving back down.

So they're a good but not dominant class B town but could not really compete in class A.

Therein lies the problem...schools the size of Hazen and Beulah are too small for Class A sports...but they tend to dominate schools with hyphenated nicknamed in Class B sports. Catch-22...

Therein lies the problem...schools the size of Hazen and Beulah are too small for Class A sports...but they tend to dominate schools with hyphenated nicknamed in Class B sports. Catch-22...

I don't think Hazen has been to state since 1985 or something like that and they are roughly the same size as Beulah. Beulah was bad when I was in high school (freshman class A, sophomore 3rd in district/1st round region loss, junior last in district, senior 3rd in district and region). We got a new coach my senior year and we have gone to state 3 out of the 6 years he has been here. While the class size helps, in my opinion the thing Beulah has going for them now is they have a good coach that cares instead of a good coach that just wanted to retire and golf.

He's got to be joking, right? The WDA tournament is a bigger deal? No way.

The Class B is a bigger event for the city of Bismarck as a whole. But for the Civic Center, the WDA is a bigger tournament. They make a lot more money on it. Just what I've been told, no inside knowledge.

Interesting topic - I really believe that there is no great way to divide the classes - put Grafton in class A and they get hammered, put them in class B and year in year out they do the hammering because they have many times more students than some of the smaller schools. All of the old small class A schools are now class B - Rugby, Grafton, Trinity, Bottineau, etc and not just because of population loss - they either are at the bottom of class A or the top of class B. These teams seem to dominate now, and mainly because of numbers. This is not to say smaller schools don't get to the dance because they do, but it is frustrating to watch a team like Trinity who recruits and keeps their numbers under the class A limit take it to the public class B schools. Same thing year in year out with Shilo Christian.

I'd disagree that Grafton would get killed in class A. I don't really think the separation between class A and B is as big as class A fans like to think. This year i'd take Grafton over Central, Devils Lake, Valley City, & Fargo North. Also, Grafton wasn't even the best team in Region 2 this year.

The Class B is a bigger event for the city of Bismarck as a whole. But for the Civic Center, the WDA is a bigger tournament. They make a lot more money on it. Just what I've been told, no inside knowledge.

Would be interesting if the REA hosted the Class B instead of the Alerus. When they switch the Class B boys and girls, the B boys should be the weekend of the Frozen Faceoff, so their wouldn't be any issue with UND hockey.

I'd disagree that Grafton would get killed in class A. I don't really think the separation between class A and B is as big as class A fans like to think. This year i'd take Grafton over Central, Devils Lake, Valley City, & Fargo North. Also, Grafton wasn't even the best team in Region 2 this year.

Maybe, maybe not this year - but when they were class A it was a different story

Maybe, maybe not this year - but when they were class A it was a different story

Very true. But i'd say out of the last 6-7 years that Grafton could have made it to state in class A in 2 or 3 of them. Heck I think that 2008 Grafton team could have did pretty dang well in the class A tourney.

Are you saying they do not? By not allowing tuition/scholarship money it would make the field more level. I also do not think you should be able to transfer to play in public schools unless your family actually moves into the schools boundaries.

I'm saying they do not.

The last time the state B was in bismarck something around 12,000 people were in attendance to watch Parshall beat Trinity. I haven't looked but I doubt the WDA is that big of draw.... We are also ignoring how idiotic that Class isn't the last tournament of the year again as well. Say what you will about the competitiveness its the biggest drawing tournament. It's a social event now. They've ruined it.

I was told it has nothing to do with how many people attend the Class B vs. the WDA and everything to do with how much money the Civic Center has to share with the NDHSAA. When all is said and done, they make more on the WDA.

The Class B will be the last tournament again starting next year and, according to the NDHSAA website, is scheduled to be in Bismarck.

I was told it has nothing to do with how many people attend the Class B vs. the WDA and everything to do with how much money the Civic Center has to share with the NDHSAA. When all is said and done, they make more on the WDA.

The Class B will be the last tournament again starting next year and, according to the NDHSAA website, is scheduled to be in Bismarck.

order's restored

• Upvote 1

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

The tournament has been awarded to Bismarck in 2015 and 2020, to Minot in 2016 and 2018 and to Fargo in 2017, 2019 and 2021. Sites haven’t been chosen for tournaments beyond 2021.

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

A bit surprised to see this, as I know the NDHSAA has thrown Fargo a bone and awarded them a state hockey tourney in the future, and giving the B to Fargo has always been a rumored consolation prize to not taking the hockey tourney from GF.

A bit surprised to see this, as I know the NDHSAA has thrown Fargo a bone and awarded them a state hockey tourney in the future, and giving the B to Fargo has always been a rumored consolation prize to not taking the hockey tourney from GF.

Now that the boys class B has been returned to the 3rd weekend in March, the REA is the most appropriate facility and is available then. After all, the Class B was in Grand Forks at the Hyslop for most of the 50's and 60's. That's when it grew.

My dad just texted me a picture...pretty empty there right now.

Remember playing in the 1st game of the "B" in Minot...believe there was just short of 9K at tip off.

Whoa whoa whoa...you're saying you PLAYED in the 1st game of the B in Minot...or were you handing water bottles to the starters during time-outs?

I don't remember Carrington much for basketball. Region 4? We didn't regularly play them or New Rockford.

Region 4...correct. I played shortly after they transitioned away from the peach baskets! ;)