SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

I saw that Brock Shaide was at the one day camp. I assume he's Monty's son. If he's half as mean and tough as his dad he'd be a welcome addition to the program. For those that don't know, his dad was a big reason for the early 90's culture change at UND, he was one bad ass muther !@#!$.

Brock is Monte Shaide's son.  Plays for Missoula Big Sky.  Great athlete with impressive closing speed.  Check out his hudl highlights:  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3051666/highlights/184777375

John Santiago is one of 10 finalists for Minnesota's "Mr. Football."

Does anyone know if he runs track??  He looks like a track runner and point being he could shave another 10th off his forty and be a viable 3rd down back or slot WR option next year.

Does anyone know if he runs track??  He looks like a track runner and point being he could shave another 10th off his forty and be a viable 3rd down back or slot WR option next year.

I'd like to see him as a slot reciever.  We tried running jet sweeps, etc this year with Brandon Walker and he isn't fast enough to be a huge threat there. 

Stretch the defense sideline to sideline as well.

Former UND NG Mike Edwards, who left after last year to go JUCO with the hopes of going FBS.

Because the coaches didn't play him nearly enough even though he was the only DL to make any plays last year and was constantly blowing plays up as a rfr. He and Kuksa were our best defensive players last year. If only Bubba had those two to work with in addition to him crew this year....
  • Upvote 1

UND commit John Santiago's senior highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/814437/highlights/194134375 

Granted the competition is somewhat suspect, but he certainly doesn't shy away from contact and it takes more than an arm to take him down.  He makes one move at the line and then it's off to the races.  I could see him in a 3rd down back role.

I know that highlight tapes are just highlight tapes, but I was very impressed. Aside from Hardin, he could turn out to be our best playmaker since Dressler/Chappel.

I know that highlight tapes are just highlight tapes, but I was very impressed. Aside from Hardin, he could turn out to be our best playmaker since Dressler/Chappel.

His best trait appears to be how relentless he is. That will translate to a bunch of plays being made where nobody thought possible just because he's so explosive into contact and always fighting to wriggle free.

His best trait appears to be how relentless he is. That will translate to a bunch of plays being made where nobody thought possible just because he's so explosive into contact and always fighting to wriggle free.

Very impressive. We'll see how it translates to the FCS level. Would like to see him redshirted for a year, but with our lack of playmakers, I don't that that's going to be possible.

Congratulations to Carl Engwall and Patric Rooney for being named to the Minneapolis Star Tribune's first team all metro.

Engwall and Santiago also made the Pioneer Press All-East Metro Team:  http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_26969745/pioneer-press-all-east-metro-high-school-football, announced on Wednesday.

Engwall and Santiago also made the Pioneer Press All-East Metro Team:  http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_26969745/pioneer-press-all-east-metro-high-school-football, announced on Wednesday.

Where is Cardenes going to school?  He is also a pretty decorated player after his senior year.  Must be a talented football player and that defense must have been outstanding.

Where is Cardenes going to school?  He is also a pretty decorated player after his senior year.  Must be a talented football player and that defense must have been outstanding.

Jesse Cardenas - He's undecided at this point. Has FCS offers from Air Force, New Mexico, and Eastern Michigan. Wyoming is also sniffing around a little bit. His twin brother, Jordan, is also getting some looks from D1 schools. I know they went to the UNI/NDSU game and have visited there together.

The Lakeville North defense was impressive and a lot of fun to watch. Play a 3-4 D that is pretty sophisticated for high school. With Engwall, the Cardenas brothers, and Tristyn Hanson they had 4 or 5 guys that are D1 potential and another 2-3 seniors that are definitely DII quality players. Until the semi-final game in the state playoffs, they never gave up more than 13 points in a game - and the starters really never gave up more than 10. That was a special group - I'll miss watching them.

As the FBS regular season comes to a close next weekend, it sounds like Bubba and his staff will be going after some FBS transfers this winter.

I feel that is a positive move given where this program is; just a few offensive play-makers away from being a playoff club. The defense is looking good for next year, and FBS transfers treated that unit good this year (hit on 2 of 3 transfers). As for offense, 2012 and Braden Hanson (North Carolina) come to mind.

As I see it, the biggest needs that transfers would address are: WR, RB, DB, OL

UND has offered Roland Genesy, JUCO RB out of Arizona. Has an offer from Indiana State. I believe he spent a year at Tenn-Martin before going JUCO. Also believe he is a December grad so could come in for Spring ball.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4008329/roland-genesy

http://kansasstate.scout.com/a.z?s=173&p=8&c=1&nid=7871230

There have to be some FBS guys out there at WR that see the handwriting on the wall (an established guy ahead of them and either their last year of eligibility is here or a hot shot recruit is coming in behind them). 

We've seen what the right guy like that can do at QB (Braden Hanson) and CB (Alex Tillman). 

UND’s sack total of 34 was the most in the program since 2006. The team’s 111 tackles for loss was the most in the program since defensive coordinator Eric Schmidt was a player on the 2001 national title team (112 tackles for loss). That 2001 total also included postseason play. UND had more tackles for loss this season than the past two years combined (95).

The longest rushing play UND surrendered all season was a 37-yarder during the team’s upset win over Northern Arizona.

Its nice to see UND's D return back to its powerhouse roots, now to get the offense tuned up and UND can start winning games and especially BIG games.