Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

Players of game.

Idowu

Edmunds

Stetson Carr

Walker

In no particular order.

Idowu was one player that really stood out to me last year on defense so I am glad he is continuing. Nice to see a walk-on in Edmunds step up and play well. Is Stetson Carr officially a WR now?

Idowu was one player that really stood out to me last year on defense so I am glad he is continuing. Nice to see a walk-on in Edmunds step up and play well. Is Stetson Carr officially a WR now?

Not sure if that was just a spring game wrinkle or what. He sure looked the part and given our need for wideouts, it might be just the spot for him. He looked very athletic, having not seen him play in H.S.

Just finished watching the highlights and judging by those the defense looks a lot further along than the offense. None of the QBs really looked good in the highlights to me and I was disappointed there was only 1 or 2 plays with Mollberg in them. Sharp looks like he has some explosiveness just did not have very big lanes in what I saw.

Wow, watched the game.. it is going to be a long season.. a very loooong season.

Couldn't agree more - in addition, I am surprised that there is absolutely no buzz here about the game.

We appear to be small and thin in most areas. Need some serious upgrades in many areas - especially in both lines. I was a critic of the hiring process, but am happy we have Bubba to rebuild. The cupboard is pretty bare. Muss dug us a huge hole. I hope we look competative right out of the gate or it will be a tough season for everyone - We waited much too long to pull the trigger on Muss.

• Upvote 2

THoughts on Spring Game Day:

Maybe intentionally so as not to set expectations too high but IMO massive miss on making this an event for fans - there were 3 group tailgating, the entire parking lot was empty when I pulled in around 11;30, in past years with the food competitions there was at least some activity - this was very sad. Weather was decent. One group tailgating was graduating seniors from the football team out to support the team. Bubba pulled up and came over - as has been his mantra he said "We're going to buld this back up". Spent about 5 minutes with us which was nice as he obviously had a busy day ahead. Parents of an incoming freshman linebacker walked over and chatted with us - excited for their son and next season.

They are expanding tailgating areas and I heard they have a waiting list they hope to be able to empty. UND tent is moving out away from building and those spaces are opening up. Lot to the east of the main tailgating area is also being opened for tailgating. Of course this comes with more "rules" but none seem over the top.

Even though tailgating was very small the attendance for the game was comparably to previous years. Spring games are tough to generate any crowd energy and even tougher to gauge team progress because of player rotations. Like last year we still have issues getting the ball from center to quarterback in shotgun - at least three bad snaps. Nice to see that the new names catching the ball many seemed to have good hands - as has been shared - it will take time to build back the running game especially in the Big Sky. I think one of the the keys to improving next year will be if any of the JUCOs are able to make an impact.

THoughts on Spring Game Day:

Maybe intentionally so as not to set expectations too high but IMO massive miss on making this an event for fans - there were 3 group tailgating, the entire parking lot was empty when I pulled in around 11;30, in past years with the food competitions there was at least some activity - this was very sad. Weather was decent. One group tailgating was graduating seniors from the football team out to support the team. Bubba pulled up and came over - as has been his mantra he said "We're going to buld this back up". Spent about 5 minutes with us which was nice as he obviously had a busy day ahead. Parents of an incoming freshman linebacker walked over and chatted with us - excited for their son and next season.

They are expanding tailgating areas and I heard they have a waiting list they hope to be able to empty. UND tent is moving out away from building and those spaces are opening up. Lot to the east of the main tailgating area is also being opened for tailgating. Of course this comes with more "rules" but none seem over the top.

Even though tailgating was very small the attendance for the game was comparably to previous years. Spring games are tough to generate any crowd energy and even tougher to gauge team progress because of player rotations. Like last year we still have issues getting the ball from center to quarterback in shotgun - at least three bad snaps. Nice to see that the new names catching the ball many seemed to have good hands - as has been shared - it will take time to build back the running game especially in the Big Sky. I think one of the the keys to improving next year will be if any of the JUCOs are able to make an impact.

Re: JUCOs - I believe that Boas and Slaight will be able to step in and be effective starters for us. I was pretty impressed with their tapes and both have a lot of potential. Hopefully at least one of the JUCO corners can step up and be a stud as well.

Since I didn't get a chance to watch the game, I was wondering how you though some of the freshmen defensive players looked. I was surprised to see Maverick Edmunds lead the team in tackles. Possible diamond in the rough? Also curious how Butler made the transition th OLB. Actually have way too many questions to list here :)

I guess I watch for enjoyment more than analysis - so I don't feel I have the insights on much. It was so disjointed since it wasn't a real game situation. Just noticed some players making plays - Both Edmunds and Butler in that mix , saw some nice wrap up tackles - but obviously not up against Big Sky competition. Nice to think that our QBs have a full year behind them and both are talented so that could drive improvement and perhaps we can steel a few games with special teams and home field - it really comes down to rebuilding both lines and I think both staff and players realize that.

Couldn't agree more - in addition, I am surprised that there is absolutely no buzz here about the game.

We appear to be small and thin in most areas. Need some serious upgrades in many areas - especially in both lines. I was a critic of the hiring process, but am happy we have Bubba to rebuild. The cupboard is pretty bare. Muss dug us a huge hole. I hope we look competative right out of the gate or it will be a tough season for everyone - We waited much too long to pull the trigger on Muss.

I didn't watch the game unfortunately but I've talked a few that did and both agreed there was no flash to our play. This is disappointing as I really thought a change in attitude would be very obvious. If we are as bad as last year, or even worse, then it's going to be a very long road to improvement. I still have little faith in this last recruiting class so I'm not looking for any help from them in the near future and it sounded like Mollberg didn't show any improvement over last year.

All I know is if we don't get something going soon, the death spiral will continue and we will be completely eclipsed by the other Dakota programs. Anything less than 6-6 would totally suck.

All I know is if we don't get something going soon, the death spiral will continue and we will be completely eclipsed by the other Dakota programs. Anything less than 6-6 would totally suck.

I really think that 6-6 is going to be very difficult to achieve. I am going to wait to judge this team until we actually have our full roster. With that being said though, I wouldn't be shocked to have a similar season as last season record-wise but I don't see it being as frustrating to watch as last season.

• Upvote 1

I really think that 6-6 is going to be very difficult to achieve. I am going to wait to judge this team until we actually have our full roster. With that being said though, I wouldn't be shocked to have a similar season as last season record-wise but I don't see it being as frustrating to watch as last season.

Something like 4-8 will be every bit as frustrating as last year. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

We went 3-8 last year! So going 4-8 or 5-7 this season is an improvement that people should not get down on! If we go 6-6, then everyone should get really excited for the years to come because Bubba knows what he's doing!

The JUCO transfers are an interesting topic.

We could easily get 6 starters from them. 2 OL, 1 RB, 2 CB, and 1 S. That could possibly improve this team to a 5 or 6 win ball club.

Based on what I saw yesterday, getting to 4-8 is going to be tough.

I'd guess there are at least 4-5 starters next year who aren't on campus yet. Along with that, the offense hasn't had all that much time in a brand new offense. Withholding forming too much of an opinion based on yesterday.