SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome back Bubba

ericpnelson

The woman's hockey team is making a strong push to be the number 2 sport at UND...

If 800-900 fans watching the then-ranked #2 vs #4 teams in the country (that would be Wisco vs UND) play women's hockey is considered a 'strong push' to be the number 2 sport at UND, then football surely is in trouble.

• Upvote 1

In all honesty UND will always be know as a hockey school. The woman's hockey team is making a strong push to be the number 2 sport at UND, I'd also say national title in 2 years for the woman's hockey team, or atleast win a D1 title before the football team does.

I'd give Bubba 3 years to be atleast .500 which is reasonable, and if he is he longer then his initial contract Big Sky champs in 10 years (that includes his first 4 years). UND should be in the top 4 or 5 in the Big Sky conference and competing for the Big Sky title and a playoff spot.

I agree that hockey will always be number one, but that shouldn't affect football. UND could still be a top Big Sky football school and at the same time continue the hockey emphasis. FCS football allows for that, and with the new IPF on its way, UND has a chance to be special in two sports.

Wow, someone doesn't read and comprehend very well. Did I say "every" FBS assistant? Did I say that UND was not in a top FCS conference? No, I did not! Where are you coming up with this mediocrity crap? Sugarcoat what the university does? How am I doing that?

A list of Minnesota assistant salaries:

Tracy Claeys, defensive coordinator - $320,000

Matt Limegrover, offensive coordinator - $305,000

Bill Miller, assistant head coach/linebackers - $200,000

Jeff Phelps, defensive line - $180,000

Jim Zebrowski, quarterbacks - $180,000

Rob Reeves, tight ends/H-backs - $145,000

Jay Sawvel, defensive backs/special teams - $145,000

Patrick Poore, receivers - $135,000

Brian Anderson, running backs - $135,000

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2012/06/05/gophers-football-assistant-salaries-rank-among-big-ten%E2%80%99s-lowest

You're going to criticize my ability to read and comprehend extremely simplistic comments? You obviously don't know who you're arguing with, and I largely believe you don't understand debate fundamentals. Nevertheless, arguing about what someone said is blindly incoherent since the previous posts can be quoted and reexamined. As far as I'm concerned, you relatively don't understand collegiate football. You said we could not afford an "experienced FBS assistant coach" for $150,000, and I disagree. I never mentioned the University of Minnesota, so expanding on their entire coaching staff was quite unnecessary. There are assistant coaches, who have been coaching for several years in the FBS, who make less than $150,000 or slightly more. For example, some of those coaches applied for the UND job! The reason I included the Big Sky Conference is not because you tried to argue that the conference is inferior, but because it's stature requires UND to improve to a relatively top FCS program in order to win it. And you did mention UND was not a top program, which was absolutely pointless because you were referring to my post where I said UND needs to BECOME a top FCS program (actual word used was "produce"). You've lost credibility in my book with your irrelevant tirade. It was you saying everyone is "delusional" for wanting the best for UND athletics that brought the "mediocrity" comments into play.

All I tried to say before I was blatantly attacked was that I look forward to UND improving and becoming a top FCS program under Bubba's leadership.

• Upvote 1

If 800-900 fans watching the then-ranked #2 vs #4 teams in the country (that would be Wisco vs UND) play women's hockey is considered a 'strong push' to be the number 2 sport at UND, then football surely is in trouble.

Womens hockey is behind basketball football and volleyball and maybe womens basketball.

Have to somewhat disagree with both of these comments. Women's hockey has a tremendous upside and might very well hang an NCAA banner before the Men's team hangs #8. Right now I would rank them as:

1) Men's Hockey

2) Football

3) Women's Hockey

4) Volleyball

5) (tie) Men's and Women's Basketball

Honestly, I expect the Sioux to flirt with .500 next season and have a winning record in Bubba's second year.

By 2016, one of our senior QBs will be handing it off 20+ times to Patrick Sharp every week while Bubba's nasty D will be terrorizing Big Sky quarterbacks en route to our first playoff appearance in DI.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I expect the Sioux to flirt with .500 next season and have a winning record in Bubba's second year.

By 2016, one of our senior QBs will be handing it off 20+ times to Patrick Sharp every week while Bubba's nasty D will be terrorizing Big Sky quarterbacks en route to our first playoff appearance in DI.

I honestly agree. I think next year is 5-6 or 6-5 with no playoffs, but year #2 will include a legitimate playoff opportunity. Quick turnarounds in college football happen quite often, and Bubba's defensive mindset with facilitate just that I believe.

Boom. Sounds good.

I was torn on the two choices, but I think the program is now in better hands than what it was left in. I'm excited for the prospect of the defense getting better.

A lot of people will throw Bubba under the bus after he doesn't go .500 his first season, but I think most of us know that this rebuilding process will take time.

Congrats to Coach Schweigert.

I think you can look at Southern Utah as an example of a program that was actually far lower than where UND has been, and how Ed Lamb fairly quickly got them to respectability when he took over after the 2007 season. As many recall, then dII UND played at and dominated SUU in 2007. SUU was 0-11 that season. Lamb took over and got them to 4-7, then 5-6, 6-5 and eventually to the playoffs in 2013.

You're going to criticize my ability to read and comprehend extremely simplistic comments? You obviously don't know who you're arguing with, and I largely believe you don't understand debate fundamentals. Nevertheless, arguing about what someone said is blindly incoherent since the previous posts can be quoted and reexamined. As far as I'm concerned, you relatively don't understand collegiate football. You said we could not afford an "experienced FBS assistant coach" for $150,000, and I disagree. I never mentioned the University of Minnesota, so expanding on their entire coaching staff was quite unnecessary. There are assistant coaches, who have been coaching for several years in the FBS, who make less than $150,000 or slightly more. For example, some of those coaches applied for the UND job! The reason I included the Big Sky Conference is not because you tried to argue that the conference is inferior, but because it's stature requires UND to improve to a relatively top FCS program in order to win it. And you did mention UND was not a top program, which was absolutely pointless because you were referring to my post where I said UND needs to BECOME a top FCS program (actual word used was "produce"). You've lost credibility in my book with your irrelevant tirade. It was you saying everyone is "delusional" for wanting the best for UND athletics that brought the "mediocrity" comments into play.

All I tried to say before I was blatantly attacked was that I look forward to UND improving and becoming a top FCS program under Bubba's leadership.

Once again you have miss quoted me. Go read it again and you will see I said "some of you" not "everyone". Apparently I am arguing with someone so highly regarded that nobody is allowed to contradict your point. Go ahead and comment again, I refuse to discuss something with someone who doesn't get the point.

As much as I distain the Green Bay Packers, I absolutely love this quote:

“Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good.” ~ Vince Lombardi

This must become the motto for all our programs, but it is especially applicable to football as Bubba begins the difficult task of rebuilding this program.

Sorry, but I think a few of you are a bit delusional. First off, UND is not a "top FCS program". Secondly a "experienced FBS assistant" would have to take a significant pay cut to coach at UND and probably has opportunities to move up at the FBS level. Keep in mind that Bubba will make half of the new NDSU HC and less than a position coach at any BIG10 school.

The fact of the matter is that Bubba is a good coach with good experience and connections across the midwest (after recruiting ND,SD,MN,WI,ILL,IA). Faison interviewd multiple qualified candidates and made the decision on the best fit for the UND.

You say some are "delusional" for thinking UND is a top FCS program, when clearly it was only stated UND needs to PRODUCE a top program in order to win the Big Sky, and you said an experienced FBS assistant would have to take a pay cut, which is not true. Just look at some of the applicants who applied this year and were coaching in the FBS. Instead of critiquing solid points of argument, you're focusing on the pronouns used.

Perhaps instead of criticizing someone's ability to comprehend, you should clarify and organize your thoughts more effectively.

I have a very good feeling about this. It's based on nothing, just a gut feeling. Let's get some Bubba t shirts made. Let's get some of his players in here a juco and drop down or two and win some damn games.

Me too. I think the hard-nosed defense and solid running game that Bubba coaches will do wonders in the Big Sky.

Gotta love defensive-minded head coaches!

You say some are "delusional" for thinking UND is a top FCS program, when clearly it was only stated UND needs to PRODUCE a top program in order to win the Big Sky, and you said an experienced FBS assistant would have to take a pay cut, which is not true. Just look at some of the applicants who applied this year and were coaching in the FBS. Instead of critiquing solid points of argument, you're focusing on the pronouns used.

Perhaps instead of criticizing someone's ability to comprehend, you should clarify and organize your thoughts more effectively.

Ok, prove your point. Which top FBS assitant applied for the UND job and would not have to take a pay cut? Or, just name a few that wouldn't that we would actually have a chance at getting.