SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors

AZSIOUX

Does anyone know if Hak has ever been considered to coach Canada? Or has he?

Does he even have Canadian citizenship anymore? Even if he does would Canadian hockey even consider him a Canadian? How bad would it look if an American college coach came to Canada and took them to the gold? Imagine Don Cherry's comments on that.

Does he even have Canadian citizenship anymore? Even if he does would Canadian hockey even consider him a Canadian? How bad would it look if an American college coach came to Canada and took them to the gold? Imagine Don Cherry's comments on that.

I don't think it would look any worse than Brett Hull skating for Team USA. Don Cherry wouldn't care...but he'd call for his firing if Canada won anything less than gold.

I don't think it would look any worse than Brett Hull skating for Team USA. Don Cherry wouldn't care...but he'd call for his firing if Canada won anything less than gold.

I thought it was a 'born in' classification. Not are you still a citizen. Maybe thats where he falls in a grey area of consideration. Easier to find pure bloods. He does have "american" kids.

Hockey Canada would NEVER condescend to having a US college coach. They almost blacklisted Toewser for playing college hockey instead of WHL. WJC is a week and a half super bowl up north.

If they ever knew that they weren't going to win the tourney with the talent they had they'd have a sure fire scapegoat for not winning the tournament

Imagine the headlines:

"Lower 48 traitor dooms Canada."

"Lower level coach costs Canada."

"Talent identification, coaching strategy key in latest Canada WJ flop."

"Yankee-Doodle not so dandy...."

I could do this all night..... :lol:

If they ever knew that they weren't going to win the tourney with the talent they had they'd have a sure fire scapegoat for not winning the tournament

Imagine the headlines:

"Lower 48 traitor dooms Canada."

"Lower level coach costs Canada."

"Talent identification, coaching strategy key in latest Canada WJ flop."

"Yankee-Doodle not so dandy...."

I could do this all night..... :lol:

You're missing the obvious:

"Canada and Grand Forks ND Agree: Fire Hak!"

• Upvote 1

Hockey Canada would NEVER condescend to having a US college coach. They almost blacklisted Toewser for playing college hockey instead of WHL. WJC is a week and a half super bowl up north.

And if they had done that, they likely wouldn't have won the tournaments he was a part of. Come to think of it, I almost wish they had blacklisted him.

And if they had done that, they likely wouldn't have won the tournaments he was a part of. Come to think of it, I almost wish they had blacklisted him.

He's great in all facets of the game! Amazing two way player and come to think every high end former sioux forward plays 5on5, pk and pp in the NHL. Parise, Oshie, Toews, zajac...frattin has as well early in his career and I'm sure Nelson will increase his role come next season

Toews is a very very rare circumstance when it comes to elite Canada prospects landing in the states for college puck. Not sure if we see that again with any school landing a elite Canadian talent. Would take a rare breed I guess like Johnny.

They almost blacklisted Toewser for playing college hockey instead of WHL. WJC is a week and a half super bowl up north.

Do you have back-up for that first statement? You're telling me that the scoring leader for Canada West at the 2005 U-17 Hockey Challenge was going to be blacklisted from the 2006 and 2007 World Junior teams because he was attending North Dakota? Canada West obviously didn't have a problem with Toews playing at Shattuck in 2003-04 and 2004-05.

Do you have back-up for that first statement? You're telling me that the scoring leader for Canada West at the 2005 U-17 Hockey Challenge was going to be blacklisted from the 2006 and 2007 World Junior teams because he was attending North Dakota? Canada West obviously didn't have a problem with Toews playing at Shattuck in 2003-04 and 2004-05.

I don't think he was ever considered on the "bubble" :) Canada was talking him up since he was 15. However I do remember when Chris Chucko wasn't even invited to the Canadian selection camp and he was a 1st round pick; that was sort of a big deal back then.